General discussions
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Poor old Christians repressed again

Post by chemicals » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:39 am

More of the usual whinging from the new Presbyterian Moderator

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news ... 67407.html
He cited the controversy over Dr Scott, from Kent, who was warned by the General Medical Council after it received a complaint about his talking about his Christian faith with a non-Christian patient. Dr Patterson said the church needed "sacrificial servants".
I wonder what he would have said if this had happened
after it received a complaint about his talking about his Muslim faith with a Christian patient.
can't imagine he would be whining about the poor ould muslims been repressed :shock:
والقس هو مجنون
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Poor old Christians repressed again

Post by Marks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:47 am

A few years ago as a patient in a Dublin hospital I was approached by a nurse who said to me “pray to Jesus for your operation tomorrow”. When I said that I had no religion she then said to me “you will need Jesus for your operation tomorrow”.

Now I may see the light hearted side of this event now but I certainly did not then as I was in no mood to tolerate any religious idiot. I did discover that this nurse went around all the time making these comments to patients before their operations. In fact one lady in the ward who was in an out of hospital all the time told me that this had been said to her on more than one occasion and she was afraid to say anything since the nurse was her main carer. As she was a religious person she kept thinking that the nurse thought she was going to die before every operation.

If you are wondering what I said to the nurse I can only say that restraint is one of my better characteristics and despite being in a ward with very sick people it completely failed me on this occasion.
Jon
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Jon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:37 pm

I have read the article that is the subject of this topic. Unfortunately, my first language – in fact, my only language – is English, which I studied both in Primary School and at a Grammar School in England. What this means is that I am utterly incapable of understanding the sentence: "Society doesn't need people who are a mile wide and an inch deep spiritually".

It certainly has words in it that, individually, I can understand and, with the possible exception of "spiritually", use quite frequently in my everyday life. If anyone who understands Presbyterian-speak would be kind enough to translate the phrase "a mile wide and an inch deep spiritually", I would be very grateful.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things; One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
Butch Hancock
Ter
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:57 pm

Marks wrote:“you will need Jesus for your operation tomorrow”.
You do have jesus, you have a J, an E, a S, a U andanother S. Whole kit and kabbodle I'd say.

But I am geniunely sorry to hear about your experience, and on speaking up +100.