Muslims engage with PZ Myers and Dawkins at conference

General discussions
funkyderek

Re: Muslims engage with PZ Myers and Dawkins at conference

Post by funkyderek » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:13 pm

paolovf wrote:I haven't seen any footage of their exchange with Maryam Namazie, if anyone has a link please share.
As far as I know, the only footage available is from the IERA's link, which shows only their initial response and none of what she said before or after. It's unlikely that they'll post this as they believe that as a woman she should be subjugated and as an apostate she should be executed.
I expect the official video of the event will be online soon. Keep an eye out, it was one of the highlights of the event. The text of her speech is available at http://maryamnamazie.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ition.html
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:20 pm

funkyderek wrote:The text of her speech is available at http://maryamnamazie.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ition.html
Many thanks funkyderek, this will do in the meantime!
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 pm

alevel18 wrote:Hi all,

For those who missed the Atheists Conference last week, a group of Muslims attended the event...
Wow. Why not just be honest and say who you are? Why lie about being an atheist? Your answer makes it extremely obvious that you are NOT an atheist.

This is how you gave yourself away:
Incorrect statement 1:
We were all very annoyed by them
No, no we were not all annoyed by them.
Incorrect statement 2:
One of the guys, Humza i think his name was
The name has been on this site before, the spelling is not a secret. I appreciate your creative touch pretending to get the spelling wrong.
Incorrect statement 3:
even got a round of applause for his 2 minute speech at one of the talks
No, he didn't. He was not there to give speeches. Trying to hog the microphone at a Q&A session is just rude and is NEVER admired.
Incorrect statement 4:
Apparently he came from an atheist, humanist background before he became a muslim.
This is one claim that I strongly doubt any atheist believes, along with the other claim that he made his way to Islam through reason & evidence.

You do yourself and your cause no credit by lying, and lying so badly that you get caught out straight away.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:19 pm

'Islamic education and research academy.' That's a good one :lol:
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 pm

As per Maryam‘s speech – Change the thread title to say Islamist not Muslims.
P.S. what about stoning?.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 pm

The "stoning" reference is to a joke in rather poor taste used by the Islamic crowd to deflect a question about the stoning of women under Sharia Law.

(read from bottom to top)
Attachments
Answer.jpg
Answer.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Question.jpg
Question.jpg (10.05 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:02 pm

The Islamic Education and Research Academy tell us why Dawah is important: “Its time to positively engage with society.”

I looked up the word “Da’wah” in Arabic and it means to invite to something. When it is used in conjunction with Islam it is understood to mean “inviting to the way of submission and surrender to Allah”.

Forgive me, but I’m having difficulty with the invitation that Hamza and his team from the Islamic Education and Research Academy gave to Atheists at the Conference on 3rd, 4th and 5th of June.

Now it could be because I’m Irish and an invitation means something entirely different to me. Then again it could be the people who are doing the inviting don’t know how to positively invite. In fact given what has gone on I’m beginning to think that Hamza Tzortzis and his team should get another job. I’m afraid the invitation was so bad that it actually leads me to believe that the Islamic Education and Research Academy are not living up to their mission.

Unfortunately for Hamza and his team their method of (Daw’ah) inviting us to the way of submission and surrender to Allah means something quite different than what we think constitutes an invitation. In their introduction to the Conference video they say “IERA Challenges Prof. Myers, Maryam Namazie and Richard Dawkins”. To me and most people I am sure there does not seem any connection between the words ‘invitation’ and ‘challenge’ but for some reason Hamza and his team are mixing them up.

Hamza and his team found it difficult to challenge inside the Conference Centre so they hung around outside the venue with a huge camera. They then invited PZ Myers to the way of submission and surrender to Allah by opening up a conversation with him by asking “why do you hate Muslims.” They also strangely enough felt that they had to point out in their video that the person they are inviting to the way of submission and surrender to Allah is confrontational. Now I’m beginning to think that they invited PZ because they believe he is confrontational and that he would fit in nicely with their mission. Fortunately PZ Myers did not think the invitation to the way of submission and surrender to Allah was up to much and neither did Richard Dawkins or Maryam Namazie. As you can appreciate I am having difficulty in accepting that even Hamza would view this as an invitation.

Maybe it’s an Irish thing but hanging around outside venues with a huge camera asking someone why they hate Muslims does not seem like an invitation to me. Needless to say I am also having difficulty in recognising this as positive and intellectual engagement. In fact if someone hung around outside a venue and then stuck a camera into my face and asked “why do you hate Muslims” I would call the Gardai as here in Ireland that is very strange behaviour to say the least.

The weird thing about all this is that they put all this on video and then put it up on their website as fulfilling their mission to engage positively with society. That really is worrying and unless Hamza and his team have a good excuse I’m afraid they are out of a job. This invitation to the way of submission and surrender to Allah is just not working for me. In fact if anyone again invites me to the way of submission and surrender to Allah I’ll think of Hamza and his team and run the other way.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:55 am

I suspect an "invitation to the way of submission and surrender to Allah" is similar to the offer made by another international philantropic organisation, an offer one can't refuse.