Islamists advertise Islamic Cultural Exhibition on Newstalk

General discussions
Jon
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Islamists advertise Islamic Cultural Exhibition on Newstalk

Post by Jon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:00 pm

At about 16:30 this evening, I heard an advertisement for an Islamic Cultural Exhibition being broadcast on Newstalk. The advertisement directed listeners to irishmuslim.com and an email address, info@irishmuslim.com.

irsihmuslim.com is a website the purpose of which appears to be advertising, and attracting subscriptions to, a hard-copy magazine imaginatively entitled Irish Muslim. The website is registered to one Abdul Haseeb, 54 Poddle Close, Kimmage, Dublin, 12 Tel: 086 322 5963 email: ahaseeb235@gmail.com.

The exhibition mentioned in the advertisement is being held on Sat 11.06 - Sun 12.06.2011 from 10:00 to 00:00 at the Gresham Hotel, Dublin 1.

The advertisement is being run tomorrow, 8th June, at 08:20 and 14:40.

Section 41(4) of the Broadcasting Act, 2009, states:

A broadcaster shall not broadcast an advertisement which addresses the issue of the merits or otherwise of adhering to any religious faith or belief or of becoming a member of any religion or religious organisation.

It seems to me that advertising a website that is manifestly promoting Islam falls into the definition described in s.41(4).

To complain about this advertisement, it is first necessary to complete and return the form to be found at http://admin.newstalk.ie/wp-content/fil ... t-Form.pdf. If no satisfactory response is received within 21 days, the complaint can then be escalated to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (details can be found at http://www.bai.ie/pdfs/201105_guideforcomplainants.pdf).

I guess that, if we want to "infiltrate" the exhibition and encourage people to live a life of reason without the superstition and supernaturalism of religion, we could arrive with some leaflets.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things; One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
Butch Hancock
Elodie

Re: Islamists advertise Islamic Cultural Exhibition on Newstalk

Post by Elodie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:43 am

I know I'm new and its never a good idea to argue with someone when you're new to a forum....But, you said Islamists in the title there. They're not. I was at that and there was no extremism of any kind they just want to be accepted as a minority culture. Just saying.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 am

They want to be accepted as a minority culture? Why?

My culture includes a wide variety of traditions, races and skin colours, music of various kinds, theatre, dance, arts, languages; liberty, equality and good neighbourliness; civil rights, inclusivity, friendliness and a welcome for strangers; religions, cults, cranks, humanists, atheists, free-thinkers of every description. It gives me the freedom to campaign against discrimination, to oppose injustice, to freely associate with others, to vote... It is the culture of inclusivity and common human identity. It is the culture of Ireland 2011.

It is threatened by those who seek to set up separate 'communities' or colonies or enclaves where they can apply their own rules, invariably to the detrement of human values.

So what are these guys offering?
Elodie

Post by Elodie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Like I said I didn't come on to argue with anyone but...what?

Are you saying that there should be no no culture except white western libertarianism? And are you saying that Muslim culture isn't a culture because its a religion...it is. We mightn't agree with what they believe but they have the right to be accepted as a minority.

And asking "What are they offering", that's such a stupid question! Sorry I don't mean to argue but what the hell are you on about? Irish culture isn't anything like you've described, Western culture either.

But whatever.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Just in time - For those of you who don't know the difference between a Muslim and an Islamist -
Maryam Namazie

http://maryamnamazie.blogspot.com/
Elodie

Post by Elodie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Marks wrote:Just in time - For those of you who don't know the difference between a Muslim and an Islamist -
Maryam Namazie

http://maryamnamazie.blogspot.com/
*Like*
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:41 pm

We mightn't agree with what they believe but they have the right to be accepted as a minority.
They are in a minority in Ireland, as are atheists but this does not mean that either group can define itself as a separate culture, nor demand separate treatment under the law, separate schools etc.
Like I said I didn't come on to argue with anyone but...what?
But we can discuss issues, can't we?
And asking "What are they offering", that's such a stupid question!
Uh-oh! But even stupid questions should have answers.
And are you saying that Muslim culture isn't a culture because its a religion...it is. We mightn't agree with what they believe but they have the right to be accepted as a minority.
I'm saying that if the culture in Ireland today is divided into sub-cultures, based on just about anything but particularly religion, and more particularly a very nasty religion, then that is a very bad thing, and one we (the people living in this common culture in Ireland) should have no truck with.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 pm

And asking "What are they offering", that's such a stupid question!
My mother always said that stupid questions don't exist, stupid answer do exist though!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Elodie

Post by Elodie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:52 am

First off
"My mother always said that stupid questions don't exist, stupid answer do exist though!"
That would probably have been more effective with the s.

Why can't they describe themselves as a separate culture? Muslims are usually people of Middle Eastern origin who want to maintain a cultural autonomy and identity so why shouldn't they be allowed to do so, so long as they don't infringe on that of others. I have no problem with anyone identifying himself by his religion or any other factor so long as they don't force that religious identity on others which seems to be what you're suggesting with this idea of "sub-cultures". The very phrase is kind of offensive in context because what you've said (if it is what you mean I don't know, you haven't expressed your self very well) gives the impression that you think that all people should surrender their cultural identity and become homogeneously Irish, whatever that would be, and see their unique aspects as being subject to the terms of the service, so to speak. Which in out case, as atheists, are you saying that we should be good Irish Catholics first and atheists second? Because obviously we are a sub-culture of a predominately Catholic nation so...?

"My culture includes a wide variety of traditions, races and skin colours, music of various kinds, theatre, dance, arts, languages; liberty, equality and good neighbourliness; civil rights, inclusivity, friendliness and a welcome for strangers; religions, cults, cranks, humanists, atheists, free-thinkers of every description. It gives me the freedom to campaign against discrimination, to oppose injustice, to freely associate with others, to vote... It is the culture of inclusivity and common human identity. It is the culture of Ireland 2011."

Congrats, you live in cloud cuckoo land. Ireland on the other hand is an extremely polarised and rather racist country. Lessened somewhat in recent years but still pretty bad, the general disdain for the traveler community/culture being a fairly good secular example and lets not forget the old "Sure, the refugees get everything boi" which still does the rounds down my way. "Good neighbourliness" where the hell do you live? Can I live there, I hate my neighbours! Am I the only one who sees that little naive tirade up there as almost completely contradictory to "They want to be accepted as a minority culture? Why?" seems we're not so good at the old "languages; liberty, equality and good neighbourliness; civil rights, inclusivity, friendliness and a welcome for strangers"
That reads like a bad Board Failte ad, you're not trolling for them are you? This isn't going to end with great holiday deals in Galway is it?

Back to the first post about Section 41(4) of the Broadcasting Act, I was looking in to that just now and that website doesn't actually breach it. Its not specifically advertising Islam just a magazine about it. I agree with the Broadcasting Act but from the definition below then this Muslimireland is fairly in the clear I think, granted its a bit of a loophole.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:06 am

"My mother always said that stupid questions don't exist, stupid answer do exist though!"
That would probably have been more effective with the s.
Keyboard is not as good as it used to be. It has been abused by two children and two adults.
Ireland on the other hand is an extremely polarised and rather racist country.
I hope you are not saying that be against islam is racist? I am against every religion including the islam. I also believe that all religions evolve in the same way and therefore I have the theory that the islam is now where christianity was in the time of the crusades.

I cannot agree with someones culture when it includes that all gay people should be slayed or that it is fine to beat your wife if she is not obidiant. (Just a few examples of what imams preech)

The Islam however is not a culture. It depends on where the person comes from what culture he has. An African muslim will have a different cultere frm an Azian muslim just like that a Irish catholic has a different cilture from a South American christian.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.