Islamists advertise Islamic Cultural Exhibition on Newstalk

General discussions
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Islamists advertise Islamic Cultural Exhibition on Newstalk

Post by Feardorcha » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks for that. The decision will be made on Tuesday. Can you keep me posted?

I love the argument that it's not cruel to cut an animal's throat because that's the way god prefers it but it is cruel to kill an animal that way for commercial processing.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:21 pm

yep will keep posting what is happening, quite funny how the jews and muslims are joining forces. Nothing unites better than a common enemy.

The website is a very reliable source. They ran my story as well :wink: :wink:
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:40 am

It's hard to see how an Islamic magazine advertising an Islamic cultural exhibition it has organized could be construed as contravening the Broadcasting Act:
A broadcaster shall not broadcast an advertisement which addresses the issue of the merits or otherwise of adhering to any religious faith or belief or of becoming a member of any religion or religious organisation.
(My emphasis).

I haven't heard the ad, but unless it's actually promoting the benefits (sic) of Islam, or advocating that people should join, where's the problem. I'm pretty sure the Broadcasting Act is not intended to prevent religious groups running ads for exhibitions, seminars, carol services, bake sales etc, just ads that proselytize.
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Did you know that in slaughter houses in Ireland, if the bovine meat is destined for Muslim country, Muslims from either Ireland or the said country, must travel to the factory and kill the cattle themselves. This is all well and good, but the manner in which it is done is barbaric.

First they will say a prayer over the cattle (fine by me, their food their problem), but then they cut the throats of the cattle and lat them slowly and agonizingly bleed to death.

I wonder why the animals rights groups who complain of live exports don't complain of this?
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:34 pm

munsterdevil wrote:I wonder why the animals rights groups who complain of live exports don't complain of this?
They do. Farm Animal Welfare Council, Compassion in World Farming, and Peta are campaigning against it. Most animal rights groups are (on a policy level) opposed to Halal and Shechita (Kosher) slaughter. There have been protests in the UK recently.
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 am

that is good to hear. I will look them up! I am glad that animal activists are doing that. They have my full support.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:04 am

Tulip1 wrote:that is good to hear. I will look them up! I am glad that animal activists are doing that. They have my full support.
Here, here, I didn't realise they were Inedifix and thanks for the information
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
Ryano
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ryano » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Why can't they describe themselves as a separate culture? Muslims are usually people of Middle Eastern origin who want to maintain a cultural autonomy and identity so why shouldn't they be allowed to do so, so long as they don't infringe on that of others.
First to challenge the generalisation : Whilst Islam began in the Middle East the vast majority of muslims are not middle eastern by ethnicity, there are millions upon millions in Africa, Aisa Minor, India, SE Aisa, Europe and USA. Thus the above statement is inaccurate.

Second, the country in which Islam originated (Arabia - specifically Medinah) forbids other "cultures" expressing themselves in that country. More to the point 25 Philipinos were executed in the 80s for celebrating Xmas mass. Any display of religious objects can result in fines, imprisonment and corporal punishment and subsequent deportation! Women from any culture are required by Shriah law to wear the Abaya and Hiqab (cloak and head covering) without question when in public (black attire in 50 degree heat in July/Aug).

Though I thoroughly disliked Thatchers policies she did make a statement which made me smirk. When asked by Saudi Arabia's king when would we hear prayer call being sang out over london ...she said the same day we hear church bells ring out over Riyadh.

Islamic culture is deeply rooted in the religion - not to overstate!!! :) The aim of that cuture is to subsume all others and finally establish Allahs rule on Earth...ask any muslim and if they're honest they will tell you so. 20% of my colleagues are muslim from a variety of cultural and ethnic backrounds.