David quinn doesn't like me!

General discussions
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: David quinn doesn't like me!

Post by Marks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:37 am

Sieghardt wrote:That goes for the teachers too. you are expected to bring your charges to mass and sit through it with them and you have to attend staff days on the school religious ethos and be expected to uphold it and be present for prayers and ceremonies. you have to listen to a daily morning prayer over the intercom that cannot be switched off or muted. it permeates the whole place. images, prayers on walls, statues. I have refused so many times the offer of a holy water wall font in my classroom! The room has holes in the walls of a cupboard that lets a howling breeze through and the same cupboard has vermin traps.
s
Please explain exactly how a school practically expects a teacher to uphold a religious ethos. I would be very grateful if you could give me chapter and verse. You could pm if you like.
At the Forum on Patronage and Pluralism the Catholic Church stated that religion is not part of the integrated curriculum. All subjects stand alone and they do not integrate Christian doctrine into any subjects. You can check this out at the following link. These comments starts at 44 mins

http://media.heanet.ie/page/945a5fbb23e ... 87272fd930

At these staff days on the school religious ethos how do they portray the religious ethos with regard to other subjects.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:51 am

that's funny since the principal at the old school of my son said in his statements that religion is intergrated in the whole cirriculum.

ps. Marks the quote was from SueH and not sieghard
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Tulip1 wrote:ps. Marks the quote was from SueH and not sieghard
Sorry about that must have hit the wrong quote button.

I'm really interested in this area at the moment. I am just reading the Religious Dimension of Education in a Catholic School, Guidelines for Reflection and Renewal, Congregation for Catholic Education, Holy See.

I cannot understand why the Catholic Church stated at the Forum on Patronage and Pluralism that secular subjects stand alone.

On page 22 of the above Document it states clearly that:-

"Educational goals

The Catholic school needs to have a set of educational goals which are "distinctive" in the sense that the school has a specific objective in mind, and all of the goals are related to this objective. Concretely, the educational goals provide a frame of reference which:-

- defines the school's identity: in particular, the Gospel values which are its inspiration must be explicitly mentioned;

- gives a precise description of the pedagogical, educational and cultural aims of the school;

- presents the course content, along with the values that are to be transmitted through these courses.

- describes the organisation and the management of the school."

According to the Vatican a Catholic School presents the course content, along with the values that are to be transmitted through these courses. Those values are based on a belief in a God and must be explicitly mentioned. If a teacher has to present the course content and identify it with Gospel values and therefore a God how can a secular subject stand alone. I don't understand what Fr. Drumm who represented the Church at the Forum meant by saying that secular subjects stand alone.

How is a teacher told to uphold the ethos (Characteristic spirit) of a school. Are they given any documents that I could get my hands on?
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 pm

I don't understand what Fr. Drumm who represented the Church at the Forum meant by saying that secular subjects stand alone.
Maybe it's a misleading loophole - what is a secular subject (in the eyes of the Church) after all? Does religion not play into history, geography and literature? And I can imagine the Church believe science should not violate theological teachings. (No good to teach kids to accept God's word unquestioningly in one lesson and teach them the value of empirical evidence in another, after all).

So maybe he's just referring to maths.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:50 am

Or maybe he is being deliberately deceitful.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Or maybe he is being deliberately deceitful.
+1 aka business as usual
sueH

Post by sueH » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi
I will pm marks so, being new on here I am not sure what the refs to DQ were about tbh. thanks
s
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:36 pm

this is what he wrote about me before:

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/site/conten ... avid-quinn

Marks and I did a bit of a media campaign.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:27 am

aiseiri47 wrote:So maybe he's just referring to maths.
Nah, maths and christianity are inseparable. The kind of maths that says 1 is not actually a prime number but perfectly divisible by 3. :wink:
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:16 pm

1 is not a prime number. :wink:
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.