Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

General discussions

Identifying with a Sporting Team and Nationalism are just as irrational as religion

Agree
5
19%
Disagree
14
54%
Agree with the Nationalism part
6
23%
Agree with the Sporting part
1
4%
Don't Know
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 26
bipedalhumanoid
Posts:2675
Joined:Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:19 pm

Beebub wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:To 'identify' with a sporting team, is to consider the fact that you follow a sporting team to be part of your identity.
Do you mean someone like this fella...

Because there are extremes in every walk of life. I'm still not sure what you mean by following a sporting team to be part of your idendity, other than the loon pictured below.
Not sure why it has to be extreme to be irrational.

Do you think that only extreme religious affiliation is irrational? I think people who believe in the religion they inherited from their parents, in spite of there being no evidence to support such belief, are engaged in irrationality... even if they don't blow up abortion clinics.

I think that people who feel like they have achieved something, when a team they have arbitrarily chosen to follow happens to win, are engaged in irrationality... even if they don't tattoo themselves from head to toe.

I think that people who are proud of the fact that, due to factors outside of their control, they happened to have been born in a particular location are engaged in irrationality... even if it doesn't lead to xenophobia.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
bipedalhumanoid
Posts:2675
Joined:Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:23 pm

Tulip1 wrote:There is in most (team) sports a derby in which there is an arch rival. It doesn't matter if this rivalary results in agression or not in perspective of being rational.

It is just as rational to kick some one head in as to slack each other off because of the team one supports. That the consequenses differ has nothing to do with the rationality of either.

I read the question as it being about rationality nothing more, nothing less.

And being tribal is not a rational concept, it is probaly deeply rooted in our survival instinct. Fact is that we are but it is not rational and I think a lot of what people (and I include myself in this) do, is not rational.
+1
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
bipedalhumanoid
Posts:2675
Joined:Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Was hopping for a Tipp win today over Kilkenny. Only because Tipperary is home to some of my ancestors. Back to the reading room this week to see if I can find me some Kilkenny blood. :lol:
Last edited by bipedalhumanoid on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts:177
Joined:Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by aiseiri47 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Because those are the issues I am interesting in polling the forum about. Why not sports and nationalism? Why do you have such a problem with me polling the forum about sports and nationalism?
I don't have a problem with it, I am genuinely asking out of interest. Surely you didn't pick them out of a hat. Surely you had a reason for picking them more than you had a reason for not picking something else. I thought it would be an interesting discussion point; I didn't realise we had to stick to what the OP thought was worth discussing. As such, I've lost interest, so you don't need to reply.
bipedalhumanoid
Posts:2675
Joined:Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:53 am

aiseiri47 wrote:
Because those are the issues I am interesting in polling the forum about. Why not sports and nationalism? Why do you have such a problem with me polling the forum about sports and nationalism?
I don't have a problem with it, I am genuinely asking out of interest. Surely you didn't pick them out of a hat. Surely you had a reason for picking them more than you had a reason for not picking something else. I thought it would be an interesting discussion point; I didn't realise we had to stick to what the OP thought was worth discussing. As such, I've lost interest, so you don't need to reply.
:lol: It's amazing the lengths some people will go to to avoid admitting they got it wrong.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Ryano
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts:42
Joined:Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:53 am

Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by Ryano » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:25 pm

The question reminds me of the opening of Roy Keane's autobiograpy - includes subjects of sport and nationalism and religion!!! :)
"Irish by birth, Cork by the grace of God" :D Now if there really were a god she would have just called Ireland Cork from the getgo and sort out all those silly misgivings the nation has about Cork folk...and our superiority complex too!!! Of course she'd have had to call that part of Munster Heaven!!! :D :D
bipedalhumanoid
Posts:2675
Joined:Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote: Was hopping for a Tipp win today over Kilkenny. Only because Tipperary is home to some of my ancestors. Back to the reading room this week to see if I can find me some Kilkenny blood. :lol:
Found it. One Great Great Grandmother born in Kilkenny. I'm practically a native 8)
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
yellowfish
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts:60
Joined:Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by yellowfish » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:52 pm

I am only new to this site and certainly don't want to upset anyone, but this seems a bit like getting your excuses in early for the Rugby WC. I am not at all nationalistic but will be bellowing for England all the way to the final (I know we are dreadfully arrogant!) I will also support Ireland of course unless we are playing them. Its called FUN and you cant live life without a bit of healthy fun.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts:1529
Joined:Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:07 pm
Location:Sligo

Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:57 pm

yellowfish wrote:I am only new to this site and certainly don't want to upset anyone, but this seems a bit like getting your excuses in early for the Rugby WC. I am not at all nationalistic but will be bellowing for England all the way to the final (I know we are dreadfully arrogant!) I will also support Ireland of course unless we are playing them. Its called FUN and you cant live life without a bit of healthy fun.
I am not at all upset since my country (Netherlands) does not play rugby on a high level. Thankfully our footbal team is much better than yours though! :wink:

My wife is from Scotland and you might have upset her by cheering for England!! :lol:
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
yellowfish
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts:60
Joined:Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Identifying with a Sport and Nationalism are just as irratio

Post by yellowfish » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Tulip1 wrote:
yellowfish wrote:I am only new to this site and certainly don't want to upset anyone, but this seems a bit like getting your excuses in early for the Rugby WC. I am not at all nationalistic but will be bellowing for England all the way to the final (I know we are dreadfully arrogant!) I will also support Ireland of course unless we are playing them. Its called FUN and you cant live life without a bit of healthy fun.
I am not at all upset since my country (Netherlands) does not play rugby on a high level. Thankfully our footbal team is much better than yours though! :wink:

My wife is from Scotland and you might have upset her by cheering for England!! :lol:
I wouldn't worry, if your a Scottish soccer fan you are used to being upset :D
Post Reply