Fr. Bob Macgiure, a populer priest mad to retire.

General discussions
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Fr. Bob Macgiure, a populer priest mad to retire.

Post by eccles » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Father Bob Maguire is the parish Priest of:
http://sppchurch.org.au/

He is one of the kindest and most popular priests in Melbourn, Australia.

He runs the Fr. Bob Maguire Foundation along with the Parishoner.=s of South Melbourne. The Archbishp of Mellbourne Deni Hart whom I know from Xavier College, is making this valuable priest retire next February. The Parishoners are fighting to keep him and Fr. Bob desperately want to stay. Hart is one of the most "Heartless" Clergy I have known. He is an Arsehole.

http://www.savefatherbob.com.au/
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Re: Fr. Bob Macgiure, a populer priest mad to retire.

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi Eccles

Just to clarify what this is about in case I've misunderstood - are you asking us to sign a petition to keep a Catholic priest in post?
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Dr Raskolnikov wrote:Hi Eccles

Just to clarify what this is about in case I've misunderstood - are you asking us to sign a petition to keep a Catholic priest in post?
No. That is for the Parishioners and any interested Australians.
em hotep

dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Well, I don't like the idea of any person of any profession being forced into retirement unless they were physically unable to perform the job at hand.

I remember John Paul II being very sick for many years up until his death, and thought it was unfair that someone in his condition was unable to stand down.

Shocking double standard in the Church, but hey, this is religion!
The Bird - The Field wrote: The church knows what side their bread is buttered on - Both fucking sides!
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:07 pm

If the parish is no longer gong to get the benefit of his experience because of the administration's own stupidity, who are we to give a rats arse?
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:59 am

maybe John Safran can help out :D
والقس هو مجنون
Puck

Post by Puck » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:58 pm

I've always told my Irish friends that the Irish media should interview Father Bob, to give a outsider's opinion of the Irish catholic church.

I particularly like his attitude towards the church and his 'tell it as it is' persona. On one of his TV shows, with John Safran, someone wrote in and asked if he could preform a gay marriage. Fr. Bob's response (from what I remember) was basically that if that was the way God made you to celebrate love, you shouldn't be denied the opportunity to marry. The problem was that his boss wouldn't allow him to marry gays... But he knew a bloke who could and he was happy to help organise.
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:39 am

Puck wrote:I've always told my Irish friends that the Irish media should interview Father Bob, to give a outsider's opinion of the Irish catholic church.

I particularly like his attitude towards the church and his 'tell it as it is' persona. On one of his TV shows, with John Safran, someone wrote in and asked if he could preform a gay marriage. Fr. Bob's response (from what I remember) was basically that if that was the way God made you to celebrate love, you shouldn't be denied the opportunity to marry. The problem was that his boss wouldn't allow him to marry gays... But he knew a bloke who could and he was happy to help organise.
There is a real, genuine Priest, Fr. Bob, not like his Boss "Archbishop Denis ("Penis") Hart who has been an Arsehole ever since I knew him at Xavier College, Melbourne, that Jesuit "Concentration Camp". Hart is just echoing his predecessor, George Cardinal "Go To Hell" Pell, who was Archbishop of Melbourne and now is Cardinal Archbishop of Sydney. He would refuse to give Communion to Gays, so they demonstrated outside St. Patricks Cathedral. Melbourne with signs saying "GO TO HELL, PELL".
Last edited by eccles on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
em hotep

eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by eccles » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 am

Puck wrote:I've always told my Irish friends that the Irish media should interview Father Bob, to give a outsider's opinion of the Irish catholic church.

em hotep