General discussions
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

half of Irish people "favourable view of the RC

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:00 am

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Half-o ... 43058.html

According to a research of the Iona institute
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: half of Irish people "favourable view of the RC

Post by chemicals » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:39 am

"According to a research of the Iona institute
:D
"Russian people have favorable view of USSR" - according to research of the Communist Party of Russia
والقس هو مجنون
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:58 am

Shouldn't that be unfavourite, (you would imagine that IONA a catholic-institute-of-propaganda would have 'crafted' thier statistics a little more or are they also moving away from Roma controlia)

-glad to see I wasn't the only one to read this article by the IrishCentral.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:33 pm

That the Iona istitute could only fabricate the numbers up to half is amazing. That is why I think it is significant, this is a very bias institute.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
DaithiDublin

Post by DaithiDublin » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:50 pm

Theologian John Murray from the Mater Dei Institute in Dublin, told Catholic News Service: “Having an unfavorable view of the church doesn’t necessary mean that person is anti-Catholic per se.”
Wow. That's some revelatory logic from a theologian. Can it also be said that:

“Having an unfavorable view of atheism doesn't necessarily mean that the church is anti-secularism per se.”

“Having an unfavorable view of homosexuality doesn't necessarily mean that the church is anti-gay marriage per se.”

“Having an unfavorable view of abortion doesn't necessarily mean that the church is anti-choice per se.”

“Having an unfavorable view of sex outside marriage doesn't necessarily mean that the church is anti-contraception per se.”

Thank God for fallibility!
As yet I have not found a single case of a terrestrial animal which fertilises itself.

- Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
(he obviously never went to Bray)
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:36 am

I will copy a post from politics.ie

all credit to the user Cato
The Iona Institute has commissioned a poll by ‘Amárach Research’ into attitudes towards the Catholic Church in Ireland.

The results of the poll are here.

The article covering the poll on the Iona website is here.

David Quinn’s reaction to the poll in his ‘Independent’ column is to be found here.

Amárach carried out a nationwide survey of 1,000 people.

The percentage of people identifying themselves as Catholic is 69%, and of those only 44% have attended mass in the past month. (Which means, extrapolating from this poll, that only 30% of the population have attended mass in the last month.) The age profile of both matches what one would expect, i.e. fewer of the younger groups identify as Catholic or attend mass compared to the older groups.

Only 24% of the those surveyed have a very favourable or mostly favourable view of the RCC with 47% having a mostly or very unfavourable view. Of those who have an unfavourable view, the main factor for the majority is the child abuse scandals (56%).

46% agree that the teachings of the RCC are of benefit, but the age profile here tells a tale with only 33% of 15-24s and only 36% of 25-34s agreeing compared to 67% of 55+. Only 31% of the total number disagree that they are of benefit.

Only 20% of respondents believe that the government is hostile to the RCC with 40% disagreeing.

Finally, the report shows that the majority of those responding have grossly overestimated the percentage of priests that have been involved in abuse, with the average estimate being 28% compared to 4% who have been accused.

Amárach asked but they do not report the figure for those identifying themselves as having ‘no religion’.

The report confirms the battering that the RCC has received over that last decade or two and confirms the continuing decline in numbers of those identifying with the RCC and general religious practice of those who do identify themselves as members.
[LEFT][/LEFT]
Last edited by ctr on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:53 am

Thanks for that! It seems that they really could get the numbers upto half with including the 55+ group.
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:26 pm

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:06 pm

slide 3 is interesting.

favourable to the RC:
All Adults 24%
15-24's 14%
25-34's 18%
35-44's 18%
45-54's 19%
55+ 55%

Unfavourable:

All Adults 47%
15-24's 48%
25-34's 46%
35-44's 54%
45-54's 58%
55+ 44%
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:16 pm

it is...and the fact that there is not too much of a difference over the ages must be a worry to the RCC

Notice the lack of outrage to the embassy closure.

I believe that most people, while remaining Catholic in outlook, have ditched the structures of the church.

This is where France was 3 decades ago and we can look there to see where we will be later. Secular! The pace of change here is quicker so it won't take the 30 years.

I'm guessing Iona see this and are trying to force change to try stop this progression.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver