half of Irish people "favourable view of the RC

General discussions
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: half of Irish people "favourable view of the RC

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Very funny though that it is the Iona institute asking for this research, they can't argue the figures.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:32 pm

ah but I think it is for their uses in influences changes at the top of the RC Church and so the results suit them.

Saying that despite spin they put on some of it...they are to be commended for releasing it to the general public.

Also btw if the non-believer census figures come anywhere near half the figure for none Catholics I will be amazed. (say 15%)
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Anyone know when the CSO will release the "rigged" religious breakdown?
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:22 pm

I think its early next year
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:41 pm

I thought april next year? Not a 100% sure though
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:32 pm

GT wrote:Anyone know when the CSO will release the "rigged" religious breakdown?
I was only looking into this yesterday, but I don't know what profile religion will be under.

Principle demographic results 29March2012
Population classified by area 26April2012
Profile 1: Geography 26April2012
Profile 2: Ages 24May2012
Principle socio-economic results: 28June2012
Profile 3: Workers & Employment 26July2012
Profile 4: Housing 30Aug2012
Profile 5: Households, families marital status 20Sep2012
Profile 6: Migration & Diversity 11Oct2012
Profile 7: Disability, carers & health 1Nov2012
Profile 8: Education 22Nov2012
Profile 9: Commuting 13Dec2012

But the preliminary results for population is out allready so maybe the other preliminary results will be out a few months before the final result.
---
Should look at Ireland's biggest ''selling'' catholic paper for their spin :roll:
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:05 am

aZerogodist wrote:Should look at Ireland's biggest ''selling'' catholic paper for their spin :roll:
You mean Alive don't you :lol:
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:45 am

ctr wrote:
aZerogodist wrote:Should look at Ireland's biggest ''selling'' catholic paper for their spin :roll:
You mean Alive don't you :lol:
Or the Indo :?
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Cato

Post by Cato » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 pm

ctr wrote:I will copy a post from politics.ie

all credit to the user Cato
The Iona Institute has commissioned a poll by ‘Amárach Research’ into attitudes towards the Catholic Church in Ireland.

The results of the poll are here.

The article covering the poll on the Iona website is here.

David Quinn’s reaction to the poll in his ‘Independent’ column is to be found here.

Amárach carried out a nationwide survey of 1,000 people.

The percentage of people identifying themselves as Catholic is 69%, and of those only 44% have attended mass in the past month. (Which means, extrapolating from this poll, that only 30% of the population have attended mass in the last month.) The age profile of both matches what one would expect, i.e. fewer of the younger groups identify as Catholic or attend mass compared to the older groups.

Only 24% of the those surveyed have a very favourable or mostly favourable view of the RCC with 47% having a mostly or very unfavourable view. Of those who have an unfavourable view, the main factor for the majority is the child abuse scandals (56%).

46% agree that the teachings of the RCC are of benefit, but the age profile here tells a tale with only 33% of 15-24s and only 36% of 25-34s agreeing compared to 67% of 55+. Only 31% of the total number disagree that they are of benefit.

Only 20% of respondents believe that the government is hostile to the RCC with 40% disagreeing.

Finally, the report shows that the majority of those responding have grossly overestimated the percentage of priests that have been involved in abuse, with the average estimate being 28% compared to 4% who have been accused.

Amárach asked but they do not report the figure for those identifying themselves as having ‘no religion’.

The report confirms the battering that the RCC has received over that last decade or two and confirms the continuing decline in numbers of those identifying with the RCC and general religious practice of those who do identify themselves as members.
Why thank you!

The report confirms the continuing decline of religion in Ireland. From the points of view of the various churches, particularly the Catholic Church, now is really the time that they should be trying to strike a balanced deal, instead in a decade or two when they will be in the minority. Thankfully, they seem determined to try and maintain their dominance and seem unwilling to strike a deal - in a few years time they will end up negotiating from a position of weakness rather than their one of strength today. This is a mistake from their point of view, but a happy one for those of us who hold secular views.

It would be interesting to get an accurate read on the number of practicing religious people in the country, rather than just those who are nominally so. The Iona poll indicates that around 30% of the country are attending mass at least monthly. Along with the other faiths, the figure is unlikely to reach 50%. It is more than likely that in terms of 'practicing religious' that they are already in a minority.
'However one defines Man, the same definition applies to all.' Cicero, Laws 1.29-30
Cato

Post by Cato » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 pm

GT wrote:Anyone know when the CSO will release the "rigged" religious breakdown?
I emailed them on this one and they indicated that they plan to publish those figures on Oct 11th next year.
'However one defines Man, the same definition applies to all.' Cicero, Laws 1.29-30