New Michigan law protects bullying for religious reasons

General discussions
Sieghardt

New Michigan law protects bullying for religious reasons

Post by Sieghardt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:38 pm

New Michigan law protects bullying for moral or religious reasons

The law, Matt’s Safe School Law, named in memory of Matt Epling, who committed suicide in the wake of relentless anti-gay bullying, offers a loophole to those who want to bully gay students or anyone else they don’t like. All they need to do, according to the newly passed legislation, is claim that their bullying was based on “a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction.”

Although not mentioned specifically, all those who bully gay people might need to do to avoid prosecution under the new law is quote Leviticus 20:13 which condemns to death those who practice at least some kinds of homosexual sex. But this is not simply about gay people, lest anyone think that is not sufficiently problematic.

Alternatively, one who bullies Jews might escape accountability under “Matt’s Law” by simply invoking the words of another Matthew -- the Gospel author. He reports that Jews in the time of Jesus declared (Matt. 27:25), “His (Jesus’) blood be upon us and upon our children.” Presumably, one could claim that bullying Jews is nothing more than the bully’s attempt to live out the implications of these nearly 2,000 year old words.
full article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/gue ... _blog.html

full text of law:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents ... S-0137.htm

the fact they named this after a child bullied to death over his homosexuality is just beyond sick
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: New Michigan law protects bullying for religious reasons

Post by paolovf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Yeah, an American friend pointed this out to me the other day in a discussion we were having about the Phelps family. It's totally backwards and ridiculous.

The Phelps family (Westboro Baptist Church) are getting away with picketing funerals on the grounds of Freedom of Speech. I thought that was bad enough and something should be done about it. Then he pointed out that this law was passed in Michigan. Simply disgraceful. And I thought we were making progress, I guess not.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:50 am

I just read about this on Facebook, where my brother posted it and tagged me, as he duly noted that bullying and religion are two thing I hate most.
paolovf wrote:And I thought we were making progress, I guess not.
This is the problem with the US in particular. Sure, you have big cities with diverse populations that help drive progress, but most of the US is between rural to suburban, not urban, and unfortunately America has been moving backwards on the religion thing since the 19th century. Just look at how many Americans will claim that the United States was founded on Christianity. They're deluded. Like many religious people, religious Americans in particular don't understand that the "religious freedom" they hold so dearly is a matter of respecting everyone's beliefs no matter what, not using your religion to harm others or restrict their liberty.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Couldn't US Citizens sign a petition on the 'We the People' site to have the White House comment on the passing of this law?

I came across this site through the Irish Times article entitled "No evidence of aliens - White House"