YES
94%
NO
6%

Total votes: 18
haymoon

Religion - good or bad ?

Post by haymoon » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:32 am

Ireland in the last twenty years has certainly become a more prosperous place. However that does not mean all our citizens are well looked after. We are closer to Boston than Berlin in that regard. However we do seem to have lost that sense of neighbourliness that existed at least when I was a lad (about 50 years ago). Society has become coarser and indeed more vicious. Is that down to a lack of religious observance :?: Does religion foster a sense of community which has now been lost :?:
Why has religion declined :?: Is it because of a reduced or absence of a belief in God or simply because it has ceased to be relevant in modern society :?:
TeaPot

Post by TeaPot » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:14 pm

haymoon wrote:However we do seem to have lost that sense of neighbourliness that existed at least when I was a lad (about 50 years ago). Society has become coarser and indeed more vicious.
I would think that this change in Irish society is down to the faster pace of life and not due to a decline in religious observance. People get up early, commute long distances to work and get home late. There just may not be the time to get to know ones neighbors. In earlier times less married women worked outside of the household so there would have been more opportunities to develop relations with ones neighbors back then. I wouldn’t think it’s become coarser or more vicious.

Everyone is just busier.
tigger04554

Post by tigger04554 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:34 pm

Every generation, as it grows older, regards times past as a sort of golden-age - a better, safer, less dangerous place.

I'm sure your parents generation said the same about the world when you were a lad/lassie. And today's youth will say it about their kids' generation in years to come.

It is human nature to remember the good and filter out most of the bad when remembering the past. Otherwise we'd probably all go a bit crazy.

The world changes, I have no doubt the world I know will change, and will become quite a different place as I get older.

At least Socrates might agree with you:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

- Socrates, 5th century BCE