The Jesus-Eating Cult of Rick Santorum

General discussions
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

The Jesus-Eating Cult of Rick Santorum

Post by aiseiri47 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:20 pm

So, satirist Larry Doyle has had an article published in HuffPost which is more or less about how crazy Rick Santorum/Catholics in general are.

And of course, the Catholics are offended and disgusted.

The part that really gets me is this:
What’s different is the double-standard the Huffington Post applies: a standard which allows their writers to publish literally anything offensive about catholics, however untrue or mean-spirited, while other “protected” groups are never portrayed negatively (just compare the HuffPo Religion section and the HuffPo LGBT section to see what I mean).
It's not a double-standard. You're comparing a group of people who partake in absurd rituals and oppress the rights of others, to a group who is oppressed by that very group of maniacs. I'm considering commenting on the blog, but I'm not in the mood for the potential of having even one of the readers respond to me.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: The Jesus-Eating Cult of Rick Santorum

Post by Dev » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:36 pm

We consider it bad taste to make fun of people who don't have a choice. It's sometimes okay to make fun of people who have a choice.

You don't choose your sexuality. You do choose your beliefs.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Dev wrote:You don't choose your sexuality. You do choose your beliefs.
+1 Dev, couldn't agree more.

However right or wrong Larry Doyle may be about Rick Santorum, I can only see the article polarising public opinion even more with some of the hyperbole he uses. Ah, I dont know... I've spoken about this before on this forum, but I just don't find this approach useful or effective.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:58 pm

It's just the crowd's cry of "we're offended" that ticks me off. I'm so tired of people being offended.

I mean, FFS, the title of the article is "The Jesus-Eating Cult of Rick Santorum"; of course it's going to be offensive - don't read it. It's not like he said anything that wasn't true.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Dev wrote:We consider it bad taste to make fun of people who don't have a choice. It's sometimes okay to make fun of people who have a choice.

You don't choose your sexuality. You do choose your beliefs.
"Dangerous" approach, it will let sexuality wide open as being a (mental) illness that can be healed. This approach is used by the church before.

I had someone arguing that you don't choose your religion either as it is cultural.

I always state that you can't change your sexuality but you can change your religion to stop that argument
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.