Religious advertisement in Connolly station Dublin

General discussions
rccaulfield

Religious advertisement in Connolly station Dublin

Post by rccaulfield » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:07 pm

I didn't know religious signs were allowed to be shoved in childrens faces at train stations? A large Yellow sign saying Jesus died for you and if you believe you will be saved(if memory serves) is on display around platform 6, What an insult to children of perhaps muslim/ atheist parents etc. I wrote a complaint to the improve my station section of the Irishrail website and would encourage others to do the same. http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=117&n=231
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Religious advertisement in Connolly station Dublin

Post by chemicals » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 pm

rccaulfield wrote:I didn't know religious signs were allowed to be shoved in childrens faces at train stations? A large Yellow sign saying Jesus died for you and if you believe you will be saved(if memory serves) is on display around platform 6, What an insult to children of perhaps muslim/ atheist parents etc. I wrote a complaint to the improve my station section of the Irishrail website and would encourage others to do the same. http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=117&n=231

sorry why is this an insult to children only and not adults ? :?
والقس هو مجنون
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:35 pm

An advert probably bought and paid for by a religious group, no different than if AI were to buy and pay for adspace, or if Cadbury's or Tayto were to --- am I the only one who, while annoyed by it, doesn't think it's right to request censorship?
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:31 pm

aiseiri47 wrote:An advert probably bought and paid for by a religious group, no different than if AI were to buy and pay for adspace, or if Cadbury's or Tayto were to --- am I the only one who, while annoyed by it, doesn't think it's right to request censorship?
No, I'm with you. But I do think they should be subject to the same rules as any other advertiser and be required to back up any claims with evidence.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Not just back up claims with evidence but also to adhere to certain rules of decorum and law too. I have not seen the ad myself but I have seen SOME ads that threaten hell and damnation. As far as I know there are laws against using threats to sell your product. There have been times I have wondered why religious advertisements are not subject to the same laws, though it is far from the first law I have seen where this is so.

The ad in question according to the OP says you will be "saved". No direct threat there really I guess, but one wonders if they are just being subtle about it.

I certainly have no issue with free advertising and anyone, atheist or religious, being allowed to purchase advertising space however.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:41 pm

Do you think we'd be allowed to put up posters promoting atheism in train stations?

I know the humanist association managed to get posters onto the Dart suggesting that non-believers select 'no religion' on the census, but that's not the same as putting up a sign asking people to question their religious beliefs.

There have been problems in Australia and the UK where atheist organisations have been refused permission to put up posters in places that the religious are free to promote their beliefs and agendas. The Atheist foundation of Australia was even refused permission to put up a billboard with a statement as inocuos as "Atheism - Celebrate Reason".

I wonder what the response would be to us if we wanted to fund a billboard like the one Ariane Sherine managed to get on the London buses. "There is probably no god - Now stop worrying and enjoy your life". Hers was in direct response to religious ads threatening damnation BTW.

I'd bet you my left foot that we'd at the very least have to come up with a very inocuous and inoffensive message for it to even be legal.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:13 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:Do you think we'd be allowed to put up posters promoting atheism in train stations?

I'd bet you my left foot that we'd at the very least have to come up with a very inocuous and inoffensive message for it to even be legal.
If it managed to go through, there would probably be public outrage, but any attempts to censor such an advertisement would be wrong. I don't think the answer is censoring the other side, too.

I've seen plenty of atheist/secular billboards in the States.

I do also agree that religious advertisements should be held to some kind of legal standards. Not necessarily scientifically proven facts ... I don't think I'd mind an advert that was simply a quote from the Bible (so long as it was very clearly a quote from the Bible, and referenced as such.) A secular response to that could be a quote clearly referenced Darwin, Hawking, Dawkins, etc;