Holy Shit

General discussions
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Holy Shit

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 am

As one who received his theological education at the hands (literally and metaphorically) of the Christian Brothers, I have had a lifelong question that I would love answered. On the chance that some passing Professor of Divinity sees this, I post it here. (Also, no other website will entertain it).
The host wafer is actually God, according to the Catholic Church, as confirmed by John 'Holy' Waters recently in the Irish Times. So, at what point in the digestive system does it cease to be God or does it retain its 'real presence' all the way through the body - hence my title on this thread.
HarryO'Criosna

Re: Holy Shit

Post by HarryO'Criosna » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:59 pm

That's an excellent question...the same must go for wine which has been transubstantiated (?word) into the actual ACTUAL blood of god but has to go through the normal digestive process. Is this where the expression "...and then we went on the holy piss..." came from?
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:04 pm

According to AskACatholic.com:
the substance of Christ only remains so long as the accidents remain. When a consecrated Host breaks down in your digestive tract, the substance of Christ no longer remains in the elements, although the person has Communion with Christ.
http://www.askacatholic.com/_WebPosting ... eceive.cfm

Presumably any undigested portion (look for white flecks in your stool) would still be Christ.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:35 pm

funkyderek wrote:According to AskACatholic.com:
the substance of Christ only remains so long as the accidents remain. When a consecrated Host breaks down in your digestive tract, the substance of Christ no longer remains in the elements, although the person has Communion with Christ.
http://www.askacatholic.com/_WebPosting ... eceive.cfm

Presumably any undigested portion (look for white flecks in your stool) would still be Christ.
I don't remember reading that in scripture. It'd make you wonder if they make this stuff up as they go along. :lol:
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:51 pm

When you think of the years they have spent debating, analysing and dissecting the zygote, sperm and egg to ascertain the beginning of individual human life, and the many lives that have been cruelly taken in support of this transubstantiated bread, you'd imagine they would have a clearer picture of when their god ceases to exist in a piece of bread or glass of wine.

It would make a good thesis for one of the many students of religiousity in our universities. I might apply for a scholarship myself.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:02 am

Well holy s.... Learn something new everyday, so god's kryptonite, must be stomach acid.

I assume the point of eating god every 7 days, is so 'god be with you' but if the majority of food is broken down within 24 hrs, s/he doesn't ''be with you'' very long.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Nimeniton

Post by Nimeniton » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:07 am

Feardorcha wrote:
It would make a good thesis for one of the many students of religiousity in our universities. I might apply for a scholarship myself.
Unfortunately they would never entertain it. The blasphemous flag would come up and dismiss it as a trite and irreligious question not worthy of attention.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:33 am

Bizarre double standards. They spend hours poring over the workings of women's bodies but the digestive system must be more 'dirty' than the menstrual cycle.