facebook

General discussions
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

facebook

Post by chemicals » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Some unplesent stuff happening on the AI facebook page last few days -not cool :(
والقس هو مجنون
bipedalhumanoid

Re: facebook

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 pm

I got bored with the conversation some time ago. Just tit for tat stuff and one guy who can't comprehend the idea of atheists organising themselves to ensure their rights are not trampled on.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 pm

I am not sure to ban one of them or not, we normally don't through people off but one went quite far.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:51 pm

In all honesty a lot of the posts on there wouldn't endear an outsider to A.I. There is one guy on there in particular who just seems to use the forum to vent bile at the RCC with most of threads being random spouts rather than taking issue with particular topics/issues.
I rarely go on there anymore and it's even rarer that I'd post something.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:40 pm

yes the never ending RCC/evil jesuits posts that no one cares about or reads are another factor that feeds ammo to the claim that atheists are only interested in Catholic bashing :(
والقس هو مجنون
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Unfortunately that is almost unavoidable. It happens everywhere where people feel ineffectual or helpless in the face of a greater enemy. I see the same "Catholic Bashing" and horrific bile surfacing on Boards, Politics.ie, City Data, the IGI forum and much more. There was a lot of it on this forum too for awhile before the people involves either god banned, wandered off bored or... dare one hope... grew up a bit. Eccless "performance" on the Irish Catholics Forum is a good example that did nothing but let US down and look bad.

Nor is it limited to the atheist-theist debates. Start threads on the topic of, or groups trying to protest against, the current and recent Bank Crisis and you will get the exact same level of anger and hatred directed at Bankers. And often just as uninformed. For us anything "catholic" draws the ire, for them anything to do with "bankers" can too and many bankers are just as innocent as any of us who are just going about their daily job. Social Workers often get the same.

Banning and arguing back likely will not help either. More will come or they will just start accusing you of being Catholic Sympathizers or some other ad hominem nonsense that sounds like it comes straight out of "FXRs handbook to internet forum posting".

The only way to deal with it... but alas it is infinitely easier to say than do... is to find a way to make people like that feel effective. Channel and nurture that energy away from anger and into something that actually does work against the church and/or their agenda. When such people feel they are actually capable of fighting back against this massive enemy... that they are doing something actually effective, useful and worthwhile.... then they will likely do that rather than spew bile into an internet forum or group.

The trick is to come up with ways to do that. It takes better people than me to do that though. I am crap at it.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:45 pm

I am out too, I am not know for being subtle, almost nobody is reacting on him anymore as he deleted posts etc.

Bik you can block him and you won't see his posts anymore.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:05 pm

I assumed that evil jesuit guy on facebook was eccles. They're of the same age profile and nationality, live in the same city and exert similar behaviours.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Tulip1 wrote:Bik you can block him and you won't see his posts anymore.
good idea , where does one find the correct button?
والقس هو مجنون
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:08 pm

chemicals wrote:
Tulip1 wrote:Bik you can block him and you won't see his posts anymore.
good idea , where does one find the correct button?
You can block his profile, you go on the persons profile. Go to the settings drop down arrow and click the block/report button. Just don't report.

Sadly if you are admin of the group you will still see the posts