Atheist/humanist summer camp really...

General discussions
lostexpectation

Atheist/humanist summer camp really...

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:18 am

ALBANY, N.Y. – A summer camp aimed at kids from non-religious families offers six North American programs, with more on the way.

Camp Quest offers traditional summer camp activities, like horseback riding, archery and camp fires. But campers also learn about critical thinking, science education and humanist values. Through an exercise that challenges campers to disprove the existence of two invisible unicorns that live at the camp, the children discover the limitations of arguments for and against supernatural claims, like the existence of God or gods

http://humaniststudies.org/media/releas ... e=PR&id=56

when I started reading this I thought they maybe, say, archery but not religious content? rather then adding in "classes".

Has anybody had trouble finding a non overly religious summer camp here?
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:49 pm

alexnash

Re: Atheist/humanist summer camp really...

Post by alexnash » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:34 am

lostexpectation wrote:
ALBANY, N.Y. – A summer camp aimed at kids from non-religious families offers six North American programs, with more on the way.

Camp Quest offers traditional summer camp activities, like horseback riding, archery and camp fires. But campers also learn about critical thinking, science education and humanist values. Through an exercise that challenges campers to disprove the existence of two invisible unicorns that live at the camp, the children discover the limitations of arguments for and against supernatural claims, like the existence of God or gods
http://humaniststudies.org/media/releas ... e=PR&id=56

when I started reading this I thought they maybe, say, archery but not religious content? rather then adding in "classes".

Has anybody had trouble finding a non overly religious summer camp here?
Yeah this sounds pretty cool, they have the right people involved, it has a good look and by the sounds of it a few different scenarios involved also. I hope it's super in depth though, like a real Summer Camp type experience for kids.
robin12

Re: Atheist/humanist summer camp really...

Post by robin12 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:56 am

ALBANY, N.Y. – A Summer Camp aimed at kids from non-religious families offers six North American programs, with more on the way.

Yes you said right things many times children discover the limitation of argument supernatural claims so we teach the right scenario about the existence of god through some good demonstrative way in summer camp with some different activities too.