Altar wine may push priests over drink-driving lim

General discussions
tony

Altar wine may push priests over drink-driving lim

Post by tony » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:23 am

Altar wine may push priests over drink-driving limit
02/11/2007 - 08:04:42

The well-known Catholic priest Fr Brian D'Arcy has reportedly expressed concerns that a planned reduction in drink-driving limits could affect the work of him and his colleagues.

Reports this morning say Fr D'Arcy has pointed out that priests have to drink alcoholic altar wine during Mass and many could end up over the limit if they celebrate several Masses in one day.

He says priests often have to drive from church to church after drinking from the chalice and can also be called out on short notice to visit an ill or dying person.

Vatican rules do not allow the use of non-alcoholic wine during Mass, even where alcoholic priests are involved.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmheyqlgbkf/rss2/
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontp ... 84351.html

We live in a gas country all the same!

This is from the times article. A gem!!
"Perhaps it [celebrating a number of Masses] could be enough for you to fail a drink driving test, and while I don't like to use the word wine, as it is the precious blood in the Eucharist, it still has all the characteristics of wine when in the blood stream," said Fr D'Arcy.
Last edited by tony on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:45 am

Perhaps I can throw some foreign perspective on the issue as I haven't heard this perspective thrown out there by any of the journalists reporting this story...

This may come as a shock to some but....

Ireland isn't the only country on earth with catholic priests, country towns and blood alcohol limits below .08%.

That is all.
tony

Post by tony » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:23 am

And its not like the CC would concede an inch to the state "willingly" by changing their ways.It would show great leadership if they went non alcoholic but alas they are not great leaders.
micfur

Re: Altar wine may push priests over drink-driving lim

Post by micfur » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 am

tony wrote: This is from the times article. A gem!!
"Perhaps it [celebrating a number of Masses] could be enough for you to fail a drink driving test, and while I don't like to use the word wine, as it is the precious blood in the Eucharist, it still has all the characteristics of wine when in the blood stream," said Fr D'Arcy.
Thats just hilarious. Which is it Father, is it wine or is it the blood of christ? I think the breathalyzer might be able to answer that question.
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Altar wine may push priests over drink-driving lim

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:08 pm

micfur wrote:
tony wrote: This is from the times article. A gem!!
Thats just hilarious. Which is it Father, is it wine or is it the blood of christ? I think the breathalyzer might be able to answer that question.
Well I hope JC wasn't driving because if that's his blood his blood alcohol level is 200 times the CURRENT legal limit!
eamonnm79

Post by eamonnm79 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:10 pm

I can see the Irish Catholic Newspaper headline tomorrow.
Clear evidence of Jesus being given Copious amounts of alcohol to dampen the pains of crucifiction!

And the Sun the day after?

Jesus You Wimp!
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:06 pm

I was listening to this all day on the radio. Its truly hilarious. Its also a golden opportunity. There were callers and emailers to radio stations saying they never really believed in the body and blood of the 2000 yr old apprentice carpenter.

Of course they did'nt realise that makes them PROTESTANTS!

One curious little fact that I noticed: Drabbly D'Arcy mentioned that the priest has to finish all the wine after the majic ceremony.

Can anyone guess why?

Yep! They have to get rid of the evidence should anyone want to actually test the contents.

"Jesus shed his Beaujolais Noveau for mankind on the cross"

That does'nt have the same ring to it does it.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:35 pm

I feel sad for alcoholic priest though – Does the CCL allow them to have non-alcoholic wine. It would be tough to be an recovering alcoholic and still have to knock back a half a bottle of red before noon.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:03 am

mkaobrih wrote:I feel sad for alcoholic priest though – Does the CCL allow them to have non-alcoholic wine. It would be tough to be an recovering alcoholic and still have to knock back a half a bottle of red before noon.
No. In media reports on Newstalk today they specifically stated that the vatican expressly forbids use of non-alcoholic wine even for alcoholic priests.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:27 am

Is preists drink this much does it mean they are binge drinkers. They are fine example to be setting. Not a decent days work, telling people how to live and living off the charity from other people. Remainds me of some evangilistic nutters on the streets on major cities.

Rincewind