The Scientology Debate

General discussions
IrishKnight

The Scientology Debate

Post by IrishKnight » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:07 am

Next Wed, UCD L&H is holding the Scientology Debate. I'm half thinking of putting ym name down to speak but I want to hear what some other like minded people have to say about this...so I open up the floor!
bipedalhumanoid

Re: The Scientology Debate

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:42 am

IrishKnight wrote:Next Wed, UCD L&H is holding the Scientology Debate. I'm half thinking of putting ym name down to speak but I want to hear what some other like minded people have to say about this...so I open up the floor!
Brave souls...
Marcas

Post by Marcas » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:25 am

are there any Scientologists scheduled to speak?
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:05 pm

Marcas wrote:are there any Scientologists scheduled to speak?
Jeez I hope not. You'll all be assimilated... or sued.
Gar

Post by Gar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:36 pm

The whole scientology thing is pretty funny. It's always amusing to me that the "mainstream" religions call it a cult even though their beliefs are just as wacky and unprovable as those of scienticians.. sorry scientologists.
it would be great if someone made a recording of this debate indeed of all debates in Universities and made them available at least to the students and staff of said University and ideally to all members of the public
LeonardHatred

Post by LeonardHatred » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:33 pm

As far as I can see this "religion" is a lot less harmful than the biggies are.

In fact, if you took all that stuff about being dropped into volcanoes a trillion years ago it's more of a lifestyle/business plan than anything else. In fact, do they even have a god? I don't think they do...
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Marcas wrote:are there any Scientologists scheduled to speak?
Hell ya
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:30 pm

LeonardHatred wrote:As far as I can see this "religion" is a lot less harmful than the biggies are.

In fact, if you took all that stuff about being dropped into volcanoes a trillion years ago it's more of a lifestyle/business plan than anything else. In fact, do they even have a god? I don't think they do...
What do you know about their activitites?
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:41 am

I know 2 people who are now 'agnostic' due to Scientology, i.e. they thaught 'how stupid can they be' and urika!!!!, they are as stupid as me. I'm all for Scientology, it is the rotten apple in the basket.

My only worry is that it a bit more plausible that christiananity.

Rincewind
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:08 pm

Rincewind wrote:I know 2 people who are now 'agnostic' due to Scientology, i.e. they thaught 'how stupid can they be' and urika!!!!, they are as stupid as me. I'm all for Scientology, it is the rotten apple in the basket.

My only worry is that it a bit more plausible that christiananity.

Rincewind
Scientologists are not a good bunch of people to get involved with. They're one of those cults that take all of your money. They have a series of 'Thetan Levels' that you have to graduate through over time. To enter each costs you money. When you get high enough the money they ask for goes up into 6 figures. People have been known to sell their houses and give all of the money to them.

They are known to have been involved in espionage and consipiracy. They infiltrate organisations such as the IRS. They took over an organisation that was established to rehabilitate people who have been brainwashed by them. They have an army of lawyers ready to sue anyone who criticises them. They have an army of private investigators to spy on people who critisise them. They protest against psychiatry and have been known to hide members who require psyciatric help from their families. In one such case a girl died as a result. They have been known to make attempts to frame their enemies for crimes such as murder.

There was a case where a female private investigator was employed by the CoS to frame a man for murder. She met him in a pub and went home with him and said she had to use the bathroom. She was taking a long time in there and he went in to see what she was doing to see that she and the bathroom were both covered in blood. As it turns out she had a bladder of human blood that she was spreading all over the bathroom. She was then going to run off and call the police. Little did she know the man, who was already suspicious, had already called the police and the woman was arrested.

I say it again, this is a dangerous cult. Not only because of their strange beliefs but also because of their actions.