Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

General discussions

Who is the biggest purveyor of woo woo for 2007?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Archbishop Seán Brady
14%
Mairead Conlon (Angel Lady)
3%
Tom Higgins (Irish Psychics Live)
17%
Cornelius "Neil" Horan (Dancing Priest)
No votes
Sean McCarthy (Free Energy)
5%
Willie McCrea (Singing Preacher)
5%
Brenda Power (Uncritical Journalism of woo woo - Newstalk 106)
9%
Una Power (98FM Psychic)
2%
Prof. William Reville
15%
Eddie Stones (Faith Healer)
2%
Robert and Patrick Wilson (Homeopathy)
No votes
David Quinn (Iona Institute Director and Religious Journalist)
12%
Tony Quinn (Health Pills)
No votes
Patricia McKenna (Green Party - Former MEP pusher of Homeopathy)
17%

Total votes: 65
bipedalhumanoid

Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:16 pm

Who would you nominate as Ireland's biggest purveyor of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the supernatural for 2007?

Nominations should be restricted to individual human Irish people (or non-Irish people operating on the island of Ireland).

Some examples of nominations may be famous phsychics or the managing directors of companies that sell psychic services, managing directors of pharmacy chains that sell woo woo drugs and magnetic reiki gloves, the program director of RTE, Brenda Power from newstalk 106, whoever is responsible for the content on the late late show, specific members of the catholic church hierarchy responsible for pushing CCL woo woo claims, politicians pushing for homeopathic drugs to be used on Irish cattle (*cough* Green Party *cough*) and inventors of magical devices and free energy machines :lol: .

After 10 days of nominations, all valid nominees will be added to a poll and we can vote on the first Atheist.ie national woo woo awards for 2007.

In your nomination add the name of the nominee and a short explanation of why you've nominated them. Include any appropriate links and nominate as many times as you see fit :!:

Post Edit: Had to change the year from 2008 to 2007. Getting a little ahead of myself there.
Last edited by bipedalhumanoid on Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
paulamcnc

Re: Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

Post by paulamcnc » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:03 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:Who would you nominate as Ireland's biggest purveyor of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the supernatural for 2008?

Nominations should be restricted to individual human Irish people (or non-Irish people operating on the island of Ireland).

Some examples of nominations may be famous phsychics or the managing directors of companies that sell psychic services, managing directors of pharmacy chains that sell woo woo drugs and magnetic reiki gloves, the program director of RTE, Brenda Power from newstalk 106, whoever is responsible for the content on the late late show, specific members of the catholic church hierarchy responsible for pushing CCL woo woo claims, politicians pushing for homeopathic drugs to be used on Irish cattle (*cough* Green Party *cough*) and inventors of magical devices and free energy machines :lol: .

After 10 days of nominations, all valid nominees will be added to a poll and we can vote on the first Atheist.ie national woo woo awards for 2008.

In your nomination add the name of the nominee and a short explanation of why you've nominated them. Include any appropriate links and nominate as many times as you see fit :!:

I'd like to nominate Robert and Patrick Wilson of Nelson's Homeopathy fame for making an untold fortune by selling small and expensive bottles of magic activated water. This company also sells Bach flower remedies and various aromatherapy oils and ungents. I can't give a short explanation as to why I feel this company especially deserves the charlatan of the year title, but on scale alone, they must be considered.
Top marks must surely be given for maximising sales to the gullible since 1860.

[/quote]
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:14 pm

paulamcnc wrote: I'd like to nominate Robert and Patrick Wilson of Nelson's Homeopathy fame for making an untold fortune by selling small and expensive bottles of magic activated water. This company also sells Bach flower remedies and various aromatherapy oils and ungents. I can't give a short explanation as to why I feel this company especially deserves the charlatan of the year title, but on scale alone, they must be considered.
Top marks must surely be given for maximising sales to the gullible since 1860.
Nice one. There could hardly be a better candidate for this prestigious award.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:27 pm

zhollie

Post by zhollie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:42 pm

Catherder, you have just nicked my first choice. So instead of Eddie Stone I nominate Neil 'The dancing priest' Horan for the inaugural title. He has probably done more to advance the cause of atheism in Ireland than most. You've gotta love that man and long may he reign. Hooray for Horan!
FXR

Post by FXR » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:26 pm

It would have to be "Archbishop" (that’s a senior management position in the CCL) Brady for, right after Richard Dawkins programme Enemies Of Reason, trying to cover the tracks of the biggest purveyor of piffle in the history of humanity, the aforementioned Catholic Church Limited.

For a prelate of the CCL to come out against tarot cards and astrology hoping to ward off the threat to his own organisation which claims to be the intermediary for a "being" involved in world wide cosmic surveillance of the thoughts and actions of all humans living dead and not even born yet indicates a breath and depth of piffle unreachable by any space probe that will ever exist.

That's literally piffle without definable edges....
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:08 pm

All excellent nominations.

I'm going to nominate Brenda Power for her radio programme on Newstalk 106-108 'Your call'.
http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/programmes/2/your-call.html

Because I work for a living, I very rarely have an opportunity to listen to her show but any time I have I've found her to be uncritically entertaining belief in...
Faeries
Ghosts
A fertility saint (yes a saint who can correct all of your fertility problems)
Psychic phenomena
Graphology (the pseudoscientific practice of identifying personality traits and intelligence by looking at a person's hand writing)
Homeopathic remedies for pets
Prayer

These topics may largely be a reflection on the beliefs held by society as a whole but the uncritical manner in which Brenda Power conducts her interviews makes her radio show little more than a mouthpiece for purveyers of all kinds of woo woo.

While she is often willing to read text messages from skeptics, this doesn't do enough to create a balanced and critical review of the topics in question. To give you an idea of how infrequently this happens, she once read one of my text messages and stumbled while trying to pronounce the word 'pseudoscience'. It was as if she had never come across the word before.
Last edited by bipedalhumanoid on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulamcnc

Post by paulamcnc » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Ah, gee, I'm spoilt for choice..........I'm loving the dancing moron, but Eddie Stones, well I'm lost for words.
Still FXR pulled out the big daddy, and no one can argue with that, but Brenda Power is also well worth a mention. And while I'm at it, is anyone familiar with the work of 'psychic' Una Power? Oh the insight! The gift! The unadulterated boll#x!

Still Eddie Stones can bring a room full of people to their knees in minutes!
I love that stuff, thanks CatHerder, you made my day!
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:43 am

paulamcnc wrote:Ah, gee, I'm spoilt for choice..........I'm loving the dancing moron, but Eddie Stones, well I'm lost for words.
Still FXR pulled out the big daddy, and no one can argue with that, but Brenda Power is also well worth a mention. And while I'm at it, is anyone familiar with the work of 'psychic' Una Power? Oh the insight! The gift! The unadulterated boll#x!

Still Eddie Stones can bring a room full of people to their knees in minutes!
I love that stuff, thanks CatHerder, you made my day!
Is she the 98fm psychic? She gets so much wrong it's hillarious. I was listening one night many moons ago and she told some bloke that he's really into football (meaning soccer I think). Obviously a warm reading. How many Irish men are not into soccer? But low and behold she had actually managed to find one of the very few who have no interest at all in soccer or sport in general! The caller replied "no I don't like football". Una responded "OK but you're into sports" to which the caller replied "no actually I have no interest in sport at all I think it's a waste of time" (or words to that effect).

Should we nominate Una or whoever is responsible for allowing her to use the 98fm airwaves as a mouthpiece?... or both?

Post Edit:
Here's a link to Una's radio show
http://www.98fm.ie/shows/the_psychic_zone.php
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:11 pm

This will be my second and final nomination:

Name: Sean McCarthy
Company: Steorn
Category: Free Energy Machines
http://www.steorn.com/orbo/claim/ wrote: Our Claim
Orbo produces free, clean and constant energy - that is our claim. By free we mean that the energy produced is done so without recourse to external source. By clean we mean that during operation the technology produces no emissions. By constant we mean that with the exception of mechanical failure the technology will continue to operate indefinitely.

The sum of these claims for our Orbo technology is a violation of the principle of conservation of energy, perhaps the most fundamental of scientific principles. The principle of the conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created or destroyed, it can only change form.

Because of the revolutionary nature of our claim, not only to the world of science but to the world in general, Steorn issued a challenge to the scientific community in August 2006 to test our technology and report their findings. The process of validation that has resulted from this challenge is currently underway, with results expected by the end of 2007.

I'm not in any way suggesting that that these guys are being dishonest or fraudulent. They wouldn't be the first people on earth to believe they have invented a free energy machine. It's usually engineers who invent these machines and physicists who debunk their free energy claims.

I would however be concerned to hear that they were receiving tax advantage or government grants for their 'R&D' work...