Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

General discussions
Post Reply

Who is the biggest purveyor of woo woo for 2007?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Archbishop Seán Brady
9
14%
Mairead Conlon (Angel Lady)
2
3%
Tom Higgins (Irish Psychics Live)
11
17%
Cornelius "Neil" Horan (Dancing Priest)
0
No votes
Sean McCarthy (Free Energy)
3
5%
Willie McCrea (Singing Preacher)
3
5%
Brenda Power (Uncritical Journalism of woo woo - Newstalk 106)
6
9%
Una Power (98FM Psychic)
1
2%
Prof. William Reville
10
15%
Eddie Stones (Faith Healer)
1
2%
Robert and Patrick Wilson (Homeopathy)
0
No votes
David Quinn (Iona Institute Director and Religious Journalist)
8
12%
Tony Quinn (Health Pills)
0
No votes
Patricia McKenna (Green Party - Former MEP pusher of Homeopathy)
11
17%
 
Total votes: 65
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by adamd164 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:21 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:I'm sure it says nothing about his actual academic credentials. The problem is that when Reville and others like him start writing about religion, all of the usual standards they might adhere to are thrown out the window.

He's at it again today. While writing a perfectly good article about recent advances in stem cell research he felt compelled to add this...
But of course. No one here seriously doubts his credibility over say, that of Una Power (at least, I should hope not!), but it's the fact that he is an otherwise respectable scientific academic, who allows religious dogma to interfere with his train of thought that makes it all the more irritating and frustrating. That is why I voted for him.
micfur
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:17 am

Post by micfur » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:26 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
FXR wrote:
brianmmulligan wrote:Do a series of votes, eliminating the lowest scores each time. No effort is too much for this important award.
Aw Mulligan welcome back..

I was thinking the same thing. Have a semi final with the four top vote getters going into the final...
OK. Sounds good to me. This current vote is open for 14 days from the time the poll started. I'll place the top 8 into the next round and then the top 4 into the final round. I'll see what I can do to attract more votes because I know a poll like this could attract attention if it looked as though enough people were interested.
Is a 'top 4' really the best way to go from a media publication point of view? Most 'top lists' show a top 10 rather than a top 4. If we are going to get this published in a newspaper anywhere (assuming that is part of the plan) then we need to open up the voting to whomever we can in my view.

Seamus - Do you need to be logged in to vote? If so is it possible to disable that feature and allow anybody vote?

If people could then pass the list around to their friends and family via e-mail and get them voting. Sharon, I don't know how popular your (excellent) blog is, but can you put a link there for example. And any other methods we can think of......

Members of atheist.ie might feel slightly disenfranchised with this method but we still remain the creators of the list. Just have less input to its final order.
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Post by Martha » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:15 pm

Sharon, thank you for your informative reply. I appreciate it, but don't necessarily share your views.

Not all scientists (or doctors) are moral, honest people. Many of them are deep in the pockets of Big Pharma, providing the "desired results" of their backers. It is fairly common knowledge that much of scientific research is heavily financed by the big pharmaceutical companies; the purpose being to "push their drugs" . The bottom line for Big Pharma is Big Bucks, not our health.

Whilst a particular vaccine might benefit one person, it doesn't necessarily follow that its beneficial to another. Some people (adults and children) have stronger immune systems (healthier genes) than others and so the "one-size-fits-all" stance is a dangerous, irresponsible one, in my view.
If Big Pharma had its way, all children would be compulsorily vaccinated. In fact, this is happening in parts of America today: you can check it out on Google...


You say you have an autistic son. Do you know what caused his condition?
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
micfur
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:17 am

Post by micfur » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:01 pm

Martha wrote:Sharon, thank you for your informative reply. I appreciate it, but don't necessarily share your views.

Not all scientists (or doctors) are moral, honest people. Many of them are deep in the pockets of Big Pharma, providing the "desired results" of their backers. It is fairly common knowledge that much of scientific research is heavily financed by the big pharmaceutical companies; the purpose being to "push their drugs" . The bottom line for Big Pharma is Big Bucks, not our health.

Whilst a particular vaccine might benefit one person, it doesn't necessarily follow that its beneficial to another. Some people (adults and children) have stronger immune systems (healthier genes) than others and so the "one-size-fits-all" stance is a dangerous, irresponsible one, in my view.
If Big Pharma had its way, all children would be compulsorily vaccinated. In fact, this is happening in parts of America today: you can check it out on Google...

You say you have an autistic son. Do you know what caused his condition?
What utter nonsense, the analytical skills of a 3 year old could do better.

BBC story from today: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7120495.stm

360,000 lives saved in Africa over 6 years thanks to vaccination programs.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by adamd164 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:06 pm

Also, may I point out that not all scientists are medics. Many have absolutely no interest in medicine or pharmaceutical companies!
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:17 pm

micfur wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
FXR wrote: Aw Mulligan welcome back..

I was thinking the same thing. Have a semi final with the four top vote getters going into the final...
OK. Sounds good to me. This current vote is open for 14 days from the time the poll started. I'll place the top 8 into the next round and then the top 4 into the final round. I'll see what I can do to attract more votes because I know a poll like this could attract attention if it looked as though enough people were interested.
Is a 'top 4' really the best way to go from a media publication point of view? Most 'top lists' show a top 10 rather than a top 4. If we are going to get this published in a newspaper anywhere (assuming that is part of the plan) then we need to open up the voting to whomever we can in my view.

Seamus - Do you need to be logged in to vote? If so is it possible to disable that feature and allow anybody vote?

If people could then pass the list around to their friends and family via e-mail and get them voting. Sharon, I don't know how popular your (excellent) blog is, but can you put a link there for example. And any other methods we can think of......

Members of atheist.ie might feel slightly disenfranchised with this method but we still remain the creators of the list. Just have less input to its final order.
I think the reasoning behind going to a top 4 is that we're not likely to get enough numbers for a meaningfull poll with 14 options. If you think we can promote it and get more votes we might be able to do something like that... but I think we need at least a couple of hundred votes before any media outlet would bother giving it a mention... Having said that I might be able to get onto Brenda Power's radio show. They've contacted me a number of times to go on the show (because of my text messages) but I never bothered.
greenwitch
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Post by greenwitch » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:20 pm

Thanks Martha for the support but it looks like we are on our own.
I didn`t mean to cause a debate on vaccination but I wanted to point out that while proper science is a good thing a lot of current medical science is corrupted by financial interests and to my mind should be viewed with a good pinch of skepicism. The reason I singled out vaccination is that in my view it falls into the realms of pseudoscience, it rarely follows proper scientific testing eg most if not all research and trials are carried out either by the companies who will make money from it or by ìndependent researchers`who if you look a bit deeper have ties to the same companies.
We are not going to agree on this topic and I don`t think this is the place for debating it. The reason for my original post was to point out that I don`t think it is right to put down people who have looked into the area of health and have decided to make their own decisions which is after all what we here have done in the area of `spiritual health`.

Joyce.
micfur
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:17 am

Post by micfur » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:31 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote: I think the reasoning behind going to a top 4 is that we're not likely to get enough numbers for a meaningfull poll with 14 options. If you think we can promote it and get more votes we might be able to do something like that... but I think we need at least a couple of hundred votes before any media outlet would bother giving it a mention... Having said that I might be able to get onto Brenda Power's radio show. They've contacted me a number of times to go on the show (because of my text messages) but I never bothered.
I agree, with so few votes, a top 4 makes sense. But we have 400+ members in this site. Could Seamus send out the poll to all members by email and ask them to vote for example? (and disable the log in requirement) Anything really, that gets more votes in. Having a poll of 17 or 20 votes as it currently stands is hardly representative.

The Brenda Power radio show sounds like a great opportunity, why not utilise it?
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:12 am

micfur wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote: I think the reasoning behind going to a top 4 is that we're not likely to get enough numbers for a meaningfull poll with 14 options. If you think we can promote it and get more votes we might be able to do something like that... but I think we need at least a couple of hundred votes before any media outlet would bother giving it a mention... Having said that I might be able to get onto Brenda Power's radio show. They've contacted me a number of times to go on the show (because of my text messages) but I never bothered.
I agree, with so few votes, a top 4 makes sense. But we have 400+ members in this site. Could Seamus send out the poll to all members by email and ask them to vote for example? (and disable the log in requirement) Anything really, that gets more votes in. Having a poll of 17 or 20 votes as it currently stands is hardly representative.

The Brenda Power radio show sounds like a great opportunity, why not utilise it?
It's a bit of a catch 22. We want to be reported by the media to get more votes but we need more votes before we can get onto the media. If we can get some serious support behind the poll, even just 100 votes, then we can think about.

The other issue is, this is just a poll in a forum put up by one of the forum users. I don't represent atheist.ie I'm just some knob who started a poll.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:57 pm

Post by CatHerder » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:44 pm

micfur wrote:Could Seamus send out the poll to all members by email and ask them to vote for example? Anything really, that gets more votes in.
Done :)
Post Reply