Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

General discussions

Who is the biggest purveyor of woo woo for 2007?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Archbishop Seán Brady
14%
Mairead Conlon (Angel Lady)
3%
Tom Higgins (Irish Psychics Live)
17%
Cornelius "Neil" Horan (Dancing Priest)
No votes
Sean McCarthy (Free Energy)
5%
Willie McCrea (Singing Preacher)
5%
Brenda Power (Uncritical Journalism of woo woo - Newstalk 106)
9%
Una Power (98FM Psychic)
2%
Prof. William Reville
15%
Eddie Stones (Faith Healer)
2%
Robert and Patrick Wilson (Homeopathy)
No votes
David Quinn (Iona Institute Director and Religious Journalist)
12%
Tony Quinn (Health Pills)
No votes
Patricia McKenna (Green Party - Former MEP pusher of Homeopathy)
17%

Total votes: 65
CitizenPaine
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CitizenPaine » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:36 pm

OK it looks like all the votes are in and Patricia McKenna is the winner. Has she been informed? Have the media been informed?

CitizenPaine
The moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (FitzGerald version)
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:43 pm

CitizenPaine wrote:OK it looks like all the votes are in and Patricia McKenna is the winner. Has she been informed? Have the media been informed?

CitizenPaine
CP I think we'd need more than 63 votes to make an impact.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
micfur

Post by micfur » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:58 pm

FXR wrote:
CitizenPaine wrote:OK it looks like all the votes are in and Patricia McKenna is the winner. Has she been informed? Have the media been informed?

CitizenPaine
CP I think we'd need more than 63 votes to make an impact.
It doesn't look likely that we will increase the number substantially from here. Anyway, if 3 people can select the next Irish football team manager, then 63 doesn't seem as bad. At the end of the day, its a bit of fun, and we don't need to claim its scientific. Lets just say a committee of 63 from atheist.ie made the choice!
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:59 am

... and its a draw :lol:
Martha

Post by Martha » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:02 am

FXR wrote: All we have to do is have Mr. McAlleese catch Mary in bed with Herr Ratzinger and the CCL is history.
The CCl (Catholic Church Limited, as you call it) IS history - at least in this neck of the woods.

As for Maaaary (President McAleese) being found in bed with Benny ... I don't think that's likely: she's far too cunning. Besides, she doesn't really know what cunning-lingus is. She just "thinks" she knows :wink: She's putting on a Brave Front, being a wee girl who grew up in The Troubles.... Och-eye, poor wee Maaary....
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
eamonnm79

Post by eamonnm79 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:49 pm

DrCol wrote:Professor William Revile - for the reasons mentioned by others.

Great idea guys, and good on you all for doing this. I definately think we should vote for the opposite also though - the person who has done the most to promote critical thinking and skepticism. One (surprise) person who comes to mind is Ray Darcy. Even though he has to contend with some angel-dust-covered fairy-lovers in his studio, it points out the ludicrously of their thought processes, and lack of critical thinking.
Completely agree Dr. Col
Ray darcy is probobly doing a heck of a lot in changing peoples ways o thinking without even being conscious of it. In saying that Im not sure he would appreciate it as it would prevent him from doing what he does below the radar any longer.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:45 pm

CitizenPaine
I've sent letters to both the Irish Times and the Indo congratulating them for the sucess of their repsective reporters/columnists in this poll but neither paper printed them. Perhaps others could do the same?
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:14 am

I would e-mail Ton Higgins but I guess he already knows...........NOT! :evil:
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:45 pm

ctr wrote:I would e-mail Ton Higgins but I guess he already knows...........NOT! :evil:
The Australian Skeptics inform the winners by mental telepathy. I was thinking of doing the same here.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 am

And we have a draw between Tom Higgins and Patricia McKenna!