Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

General discussions

Who is the biggest purveyor of woo woo for 2007?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Archbishop Seán Brady
14%
Mairead Conlon (Angel Lady)
3%
Tom Higgins (Irish Psychics Live)
17%
Cornelius "Neil" Horan (Dancing Priest)
No votes
Sean McCarthy (Free Energy)
5%
Willie McCrea (Singing Preacher)
5%
Brenda Power (Uncritical Journalism of woo woo - Newstalk 106)
9%
Una Power (98FM Psychic)
2%
Prof. William Reville
15%
Eddie Stones (Faith Healer)
2%
Robert and Patrick Wilson (Homeopathy)
No votes
David Quinn (Iona Institute Director and Religious Journalist)
12%
Tony Quinn (Health Pills)
No votes
Patricia McKenna (Green Party - Former MEP pusher of Homeopathy)
17%

Total votes: 65
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:19 am

lostexpectation wrote:I saw the reports about that interview she wasn't being interviewed about vaccination either, show me where shes been actively campaigning on it this year.

I think mckenna is gullable fool, I think she reluctant to back down now the story is much clearer ,but I don't see how she is greater fool then brady.

I don't know what crazy priest father horan has this year either.

brady criticised people being involved in the supernatural from the pulpit of church based on holy visions. see http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=695

oh here's a old article i didn't see at the time
http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story/?trs=mhqlsnojey

http://www.sarahcarey.ie/2007/08/29/kee ... -question/
One could argue that regardless of whether Brady is a purveyor of certain woo woo beliefs that he still spoke out against other forms of woo woo which makes him a net woo woo protractor.

You're right that technically some of the nominees didn't earn their nominations in 2007. I felt that because this is the first poll we shouldn't be so strict. In the 2008 poll (which we can take nominations for all year) we can concentrate on events of the year more specifically.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:30 am

Either way 57 votes so far is great!! :D

Hopefully people will stay and contribute.
sharon

Post by sharon » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:02 pm

I wrote about the vaccination/autism/corruption claims made by Martha and Greenwitch on the Science/skepticism section here. I didn't want to derail the conversation here from the voting.
KinGTR

Post by KinGTR » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:47 pm

I found this a hard poll to decide on, I was unsure as to vote for Brenda Power for entertaining irrational nutcases or Patricia McKenna or Father Niall Hogan for being the type of nutcase that Brenda’s show is based on. However it was the discovery that Professor William Revile has deeply sinister irrational beliefs about the world that has forced me to vote for him.
This is a man whose job is to supposedly educate the public about the wonders of science, yet he can’t tell the difference between a blastocyst and a fully developed 8 month old foetus which has a fully functional nervous system and brain. I find his hypocrisy repellent and his recent attack on Dawkinite atheism simply blind religious reactionisim of the type evidenced when a true “believer” is faced with the over whelming evidence that religion and Catholicism in particular is a worthless deluded patriachical belief system who’s hero (Jesus) was most likely a deluded egomaniac Manic depressive. :twisted:
NorthOfTheBorder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by NorthOfTheBorder » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:22 pm

I voted for Tom Higgins. All the candidates are worthy of the title in their various ways, but for me the deciding factor was the fact that this guy purveys his bullshit in a systematic way for the purpose of making profit from it. In my book, that makes him not just a contributor to public ignorance, but actually a scumbag :evil:
DrCol

Post by DrCol » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Professor William Revile - for the reasons mentioned by others.

Great idea guys, and good on you all for doing this. I definately think we should vote for the opposite also though - the person who has done the most to promote critical thinking and skepticism. One (surprise) person who comes to mind is Ray Darcy. Even though he has to contend with some angel-dust-covered fairy-lovers in his studio, it points out the ludicrously of their thought processes, and lack of critical thinking.
hello_snackbar

Post by hello_snackbar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:07 pm

What a motley bunch of charlatans and mountebanks.I'd vote for them all;if I could ,but for shear bare faced effrontery it has to be that Higgins tosser;with the homeopathy bullshitters a close second.
As a sometime pharmacologist Tony Quinn(another tosser who's awarded himself a doctorate )also deserves our scorn.
Kevin Myers take note ; these bums are well worth a metaphorical kicking in your august column.
hello_snackbar

Post by hello_snackbar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:19 pm

As an addendum to my last post I meant I was a sometime pharmacologist not Tony Quinn(he probably could not spell the word let alone know what it means)
The last I heard he was sunning himself in the Bahamas on the proceeds of his fraudulent gains (just like some religious charlatans)leached from the vulnerable and the stupid.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:39 pm

hello_snackbar wrote:What a motley bunch of charlatans and mountebanks.I'd vote for them all;if I could ,but for shear bare faced effrontery it has to be that Higgins tosser;with the homeopathy bullshitters a close second.
As a sometime pharmacologist Tony Quinn(another tosser who's awarded himself a doctorate )also deserves our scorn.
Kevin Myers take note ; these bums are well worth a metaphorical kicking in your august column.
Kevin Myers could just have easily have made it onto the list himself...
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=TPIIXKOItjE
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:54 pm

hello_snackbar wrote:As an addendum to my last post I meant I was a sometime pharmacologist not Tony Quinn(he probably could not spell the word let alone know what it means)
The last I heard he was sunning himself in the Bahamas on the proceeds of his fraudulent gains (just like some religious charlatans)leached from the vulnerable and the stupid.
I know quite a few of his disciples. One of them left the flock when it dawned on him TQ was not all he appeared. This eureka moment came after he discovered TQ shagged his girlfriend.
All we have to do is have Mr. McAlleese catch Mary in bed with Herr Ratzinger and the CCL is history.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.