Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

General discussions

Who is the biggest purveyor of woo woo for 2007?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Archbishop Seán Brady
14%
Mairead Conlon (Angel Lady)
3%
Tom Higgins (Irish Psychics Live)
17%
Cornelius "Neil" Horan (Dancing Priest)
No votes
Sean McCarthy (Free Energy)
5%
Willie McCrea (Singing Preacher)
5%
Brenda Power (Uncritical Journalism of woo woo - Newstalk 106)
9%
Una Power (98FM Psychic)
2%
Prof. William Reville
15%
Eddie Stones (Faith Healer)
2%
Robert and Patrick Wilson (Homeopathy)
No votes
David Quinn (Iona Institute Director and Religious Journalist)
12%
Tony Quinn (Health Pills)
No votes
Patricia McKenna (Green Party - Former MEP pusher of Homeopathy)
17%

Total votes: 65
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:56 pm

lostexpectation wrote:its bit obvious really, same ol people

i dunno I don't know if dislike tom higgins more then archbishop brady not him telling not to believe in extra-normal events at knock, what phrase did he use again?

archbishop brady

can we have woo woo challenger award for balance and I can nominate keelin shanely(sp?) for calling the archbishop on it in that interview...
Hows about an award for critical thinking. The plank would have been a good nominee for such an award in 2006. Unfortunately he's let us all down big time this year :( I can think of a few good journalists though.
paulamcnc

Post by paulamcnc » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:33 pm

Can I add another nomination please? This one occured to me last night, and perhaps it deserves a special category of retail ridiculousness of of its own, but I'd like to nominate The Angel Shop of Dun laoghaire shopping centre. In this twee little store, you can buy Angel cards(?), Angel pins, Angel figures, Angel books and probably Angel crap. The propriator is always on hand to help put you in touch with your own special Angel. Really.

I heard this woman on the Gerry Ryan show years ago, and he engaged with her as if she wasn't a deluded nutter in need of serious mental help, and asked all kinds of pertinent questions, like, Do they really sit on your Shoulder? (yes).

For sheer stupidity, please include it in your considerations.

p.s. if you ever come accross a bird feather during your day, its because your Angel wants you to know he/she/its with you. Isn't that special?
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:55 pm

paulamcnc wrote:Can I add another nomination please? This one occured to me last night, and perhaps it deserves a special category of retail ridiculousness of of its own, but I'd like to nominate The Angel Shop of Dun laoghaire shopping centre. In this twee little store, you can buy Angel cards(?), Angel pins, Angel figures, Angel books and probably Angel crap. The propriator is always on hand to help put you in touch with your own special Angel. Really.

I heard this woman on the Gerry Ryan show years ago, and he engaged with her as if she wasn't a deluded nutter in need of serious mental help, and asked all kinds of pertinent questions, like, Do they really sit on your Shoulder? (yes).

For sheer stupidity, please include it in your considerations.

p.s. if you ever come accross a bird feather during your day, its because your Angel wants you to know he/she/its with you. Isn't that special?
LMAO nice one. Some claim that these angels have medicinal powers too. I've heard of angel purveyors setting up stalls in alternative medicine trade shows. We're only taking nominations for actual people (as opposed to organisations and businesses) but I did a quick bit of research and found that Mairead Conlon is the name of the shop owner. Her name also pops up on the 'Reiki Federation of Irealnd' web site :lol: .
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:57 am

Okay, here’s my nominations
Tony Quinn for all his health pills.
Fr Cornelius Horan for fucking up Olympic athletes.
David Quinn for blinkered journalism.
And Willie McCrea “the Singing Preacher” DUP member for assholeness.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:33 pm

On a positive note I think it would also be nice to have on the same night another award, one for the top five people who done most to show being an atheist is the only rational responce to religionism.

First on the list....drum roll.........is....wait for it..........all the way from Munchen Bavaria.....yes folks its the snowey topped twinkly eyed little munchkin ...Herr Joseph Ratzinger. Joey wins this award for his statement : Christianity was not forced upon the natives of South Ameirica...they were secretly wishing for it. Then there was the "we'er the only real church and you're not so there, little diatribe. Joey since sneaking past the swiss guards has done more than anyone else on earth to show just how barking mad popes are.

And next up we have father, of no children, Brian D'Arcy. Briney wins his award for the drink drive limit furoe. Brian, working from the inside, threw light on the fact that when wine is turned into the blood of a two thousand year old carpenter it apparently acts exactly like wine.

And runner up tonight is Bish, barely connected to reality, Brady. Good oul bish brady drew howls of laughter and much derision and shouts of "hey look behind ya" when he claimed tarot cards and such were just superstition. Nice one bish.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:47 am

FXR wrote:On a positive note I think it would also be nice to have on the same night another award, one for the top five people who done most to show being an atheist is the only rational responce to religionism.

First on the list....drum roll.........is....wait for it..........all the way from Munchen Bavaria.....yes folks its the snowey topped twinkly eyed little munchkin ...Herr Joseph Ratzinger. Joey wins this award for his statement : Christianity was not forced upon the natives of South Ameirica...they were secretly wishing for it. Then there was the "we'er the only real church and you're not so there, little diatribe. Joey since sneaking past the swiss guards has done more than anyone else on earth to show just how barking mad popes are.

And next up we have father, of no children, Brian D'Arcy. Briney wins his award for the drink drive limit furoe. Brian, working from the inside, threw light on the fact that when wine is turned into the blood of a two thousand year old carpenter it apparently acts exactly like wine.

And runner up tonight is Bish, barely connected to reality, Brady. Good oul bish brady drew howls of laughter and much derision and shouts of "hey look behind ya" when he claimed tarot cards and such were just superstition. Nice one bish.
I was considering this too. But something a little broader. An award for critical thinking. All of those journalists who debunked the claims of their local religious affairs correspondant would be elligible.

I don't know how others feel about this but to me, atheism and agnosticism are just the end product of skepticism. It's the critical thinking (or lack thereof) that should have the focus rather than the atheist position itself. That's just my opinion and I'd be very interested to see what others think. I think there's something very cheeky implied when atheists promote critical thinking.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:52 am

:D Last day of nominations :D
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:11 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote::D Last day of nominations :D
You should be able to edit the OP to put up a poll, I think that's what you intended, isn't it? Let me know if there is any problem doing that :)
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:01 pm

CatHerder wrote:
You should be able to edit the OP to put up a poll, I think that's what you intended, isn't it? Let me know if there is any problem doing that :)
I am having a problem actually. I have 13 nominations but am limited to 10. Is there any way I can enter more than 10?
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:21 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
CatHerder wrote:
I am having a problem actually. I have 13 nominations but am limited to 10. Is there any way I can enter more than 10?
Thats the kind of thing that happens when you have a vote for religious idiot of the year!
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.