Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

General discussions

Who is the biggest purveyor of woo woo for 2007?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Archbishop Seán Brady
14%
Mairead Conlon (Angel Lady)
3%
Tom Higgins (Irish Psychics Live)
17%
Cornelius "Neil" Horan (Dancing Priest)
No votes
Sean McCarthy (Free Energy)
5%
Willie McCrea (Singing Preacher)
5%
Brenda Power (Uncritical Journalism of woo woo - Newstalk 106)
9%
Una Power (98FM Psychic)
2%
Prof. William Reville
15%
Eddie Stones (Faith Healer)
2%
Robert and Patrick Wilson (Homeopathy)
No votes
David Quinn (Iona Institute Director and Religious Journalist)
12%
Tony Quinn (Health Pills)
No votes
Patricia McKenna (Green Party - Former MEP pusher of Homeopathy)
17%

Total votes: 65
Martha

Re: Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

Post by Martha » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:37 am

paulamcnc wrote:
I'd like to nominate Robert and Patrick Wilson of Nelson's Homeopathy fame for making an untold fortune by selling small and expensive bottles of magic activated water. This company also sells Bach flower remedies and various aromatherapy oils and ungents. I can't give a short explanation as to why I feel this company especially deserves the charlatan of the year title, but on scale alone, they must be considered.
Top marks must surely be given for maximising sales to the gullible since 1860.
Hasn't the Catholic Church been in business a bit longer than that :|
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:06 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:I am having a problem actually. I have 13 nominations but am limited to 10. Is there any way I can enter more than 10?
I'm sure it's possible but I'll have to have a look at the admin panel. Don't post the poll until I sort it out (some time tomorrow)

might get a few more nominations in the mean time :)

Edit: poll should take up to 20 options now :)
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:36 pm

If you can give people 3 votes then it might help give a clearer answer.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:50 pm

ctr wrote:If you can give people 3 votes then it might help give a clearer answer.
That would be brilliant but I can't see any way of doing that. Is it possible Seamus?

I added a 14th nominee at the last minute. Patricia McKenna is a former Green Party MEP. She is an anti-immunisation whack job and she wants to use homeopathic medicine on Ireland's cattle!

http://www.greenparty.ie/en/people/patricia_mckenna
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:29 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
ctr wrote:If you can give people 3 votes then it might help give a clearer answer.
That would be brilliant but I can't see any way of doing that. Is it possible Seamus?

I added a 14th nominee at the last minute. Patricia McKenna is a former Green Party MEP. She is an anti-immunisation whack job and she wants to use homeopathic medicine on Ireland's cattle!

Perhaps there should be 2 rounds of voting. We could take the top 5 from the first round and run the poll again.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:43 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:

Perhaps there should be 2 rounds of voting. We could take the top 5 from the first round and run the poll again.
Could it be done as three seperate threads and then amalgamate the results?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:03 am

FXR wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote: That would be brilliant but I can't see any way of doing that. Is it possible Seamus?

Could it be done as three seperate threads and then amalgamate the results?
I'd be happy enough to go that way as long as people are happy enough with the idea that people can vote 3 times for the same person and Seamus is ok with me creating an additional 2 threads...
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:28 pm

Do a series of votes, eliminating the lowest scores each time. No effort is too much for this important award.
Brian
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:46 pm

brianmmulligan wrote:Do a series of votes, eliminating the lowest scores each time. No effort is too much for this important award.
Aw Mulligan welcome back..

I was thinking the same thing. Have a semi final with the four top vote getters going into the final...
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:39 am

FXR wrote:
brianmmulligan wrote:Do a series of votes, eliminating the lowest scores each time. No effort is too much for this important award.
Aw Mulligan welcome back..

I was thinking the same thing. Have a semi final with the four top vote getters going into the final...
OK. Sounds good to me. This current vote is open for 14 days from the time the poll started. I'll place the top 8 into the next round and then the top 4 into the final round. I'll see what I can do to attract more votes because I know a poll like this could attract attention if it looked as though enough people were interested.