Purveyors of piffle, pseudoscience, woo woo and the SN

General discussions

Who is the biggest purveyor of woo woo for 2007?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Archbishop Seán Brady
14%
Mairead Conlon (Angel Lady)
3%
Tom Higgins (Irish Psychics Live)
17%
Cornelius "Neil" Horan (Dancing Priest)
No votes
Sean McCarthy (Free Energy)
5%
Willie McCrea (Singing Preacher)
5%
Brenda Power (Uncritical Journalism of woo woo - Newstalk 106)
9%
Una Power (98FM Psychic)
2%
Prof. William Reville
15%
Eddie Stones (Faith Healer)
2%
Robert and Patrick Wilson (Homeopathy)
No votes
David Quinn (Iona Institute Director and Religious Journalist)
12%
Tony Quinn (Health Pills)
No votes
Patricia McKenna (Green Party - Former MEP pusher of Homeopathy)
17%

Total votes: 65
Gar

Post by Gar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:09 am

after reading micfur's post (thanks for that micfur !) I'd like to change my vote to Patricia McKenna too !! I had no idea they were that mental in the green party. I'm genuinely disappointed I have to say I always got the impression that they were slightly less evil than some of the other partys !
Maybe we should start a rationalist party..
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:23 am

Gar wrote:after reading micfur's post (thanks for that micfur !) I'd like to change my vote to Patricia McKenna too !! I had no idea they were that mental in the green party. I'm genuinely disappointed I have to say I always got the impression that they were slightly less evil than some of the other partys !
Such a party was started in the 70s in Britain. It was called the Sensible Party. However they were generally less popular than the Silly Party. I believe that there was also a Very Silly Party also. To illustrate that to be noticed you have to go to extremes the only one people really remember was the Raving Looney Party.
Brian
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:28 am

brianmmulligan wrote:
Gar wrote:after reading micfur's post (thanks for that micfur !) I'd like to change my vote to Patricia McKenna too !! I had no idea they were that mental in the green party. I'm genuinely disappointed I have to say I always got the impression that they were slightly less evil than some of the other partys !
Such a party was started in the 70s in Britain. It was called the Sensible Party. However they were generally less popular than the Silly Party. I believe that there was also a Very Silly Party also. To illustrate that to be noticed you have to go to extremes the only one people really remember was the Raving Looney Party.
Was that led by Screaming Lord Scutch by any chance!
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
sharon

Post by sharon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:31 am

I just noticed, we're not paying the proper level of respect to our esteemed clergy, it's no longer mere Archbishop Brady some of you are voting for, he's a cardinal now. Get that list amended pronto!
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:32 am

sharon wrote:I just noticed, we're not paying the proper level of respect to our esteemed clergy, it's no longer mere Archbishop Brady some of you are voting for, he's a cardinal now. Get that list amended pronto!
Wizard, Grand Wizard.....woo wooo
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
pquinlan

Post by pquinlan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:23 pm

I voted for William Reville because he is a scientist and should know better - he is armed with the facts.
I didn't vote for the archbishop because I don't think he did anything particularly woo-woo this year - if you vote for him this year you'd have to vote for him every year, cos of who he is, I reckon.
I didn't (but nearly did) vote for David Quinn, because I expect nothing less than woo-woo from him.
An interesting poll, however, with lots of interesting views.
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:52 pm

pquinlan wrote:I voted for William Reville because he is a scientist and should know better - he is armed with the facts.
I didn't vote for the archbishop because I don't think he did anything particularly woo-woo this year - if you vote for him this year you'd have to vote for him every year, cos of who he is, I reckon.
I didn't (but nearly did) vote for David Quinn, because I expect nothing less than woo-woo from him.
An interesting poll, however, with lots of interesting views.
Bradys big mo was when he made a speech condemming tarot cards and such and then went on radio to back it up. A CCL street pusher condemming superstition?

If that's not a case of a naked man in a nudist colony berating people for being undressed I don't know what is!
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:30 pm

freakysnatch wrote:Let me see... so much choice here, to pick only one!!! I'm going to go for Patricia Mckenna. Archbishop Brady was tempting but religious figures don't expect the support of atheists I suppose. I think it's important for people to snub the likes of McKenna and right her off as a total feckin eejit! :D
theres some rational logic right there!
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:10 am

I saw the reports about that interview she wasn't being interviewed about vaccination either, show me where shes been actively campaigning on it this year.

I think mckenna is gullable fool, I think she reluctant to back down now the story is much clearer ,but I don't see how she is greater fool then brady.

I don't know what crazy priest father horan has this year either.

brady criticised people being involved in the supernatural from the pulpit of church based on holy visions. see http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=695

oh here's a old article i didn't see at the time
http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story/?trs=mhqlsnojey

http://www.sarahcarey.ie/2007/08/29/kee ... -question/
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 am

pquinlan wrote:I voted for William Reville because he is a scientist and should know better - he is armed with the facts.
I didn't vote for the archbishop because I don't think he did anything particularly woo-woo this year - .
?? poor memory

pquinlan PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:02 am Post subject: Religion likened to astrology etc on RTE radio to Archbishop