34 Unconvincing Arguments For God

General discussions
Post Reply
bnt
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:05 am

34 Unconvincing Arguments For God

Post by bnt » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:46 am

Some guys in Minnesota have been keeping a list of arguments that theists put forward, and why atheists aren't convinced by them. They're up to 34 now, and you can download them in PDF form, here.

Still, I suppose that if every theist took the time to do their homework and thought about what they're claiming, before posting here, we wouldn't have nearly as much fun as we do... :twisted:
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Re: 34 Unconvincing Arguments For God

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:29 am

bnt wrote:Some guys in Minnesota have been keeping a list of arguments that theists put forward, and why atheists aren't convinced by them. They're up to 34 now, and you can download them in PDF form, here.

Still, I suppose that if every theist took the time to do their homework and thought about what they're claiming, before posting here, we wouldn't have nearly as much fun as we do... :twisted:
Excellent! Thanks for posting this.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by adamd164 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:11 pm

The very idea of theists trying to "prove" that god exists is a paradox. They base their doctrine around faith, and, when attempting to invoke rationality and critical thought, only end up looking like the morons they are.
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:48 am

adamd164 wrote:The very idea of theists trying to "prove" that god exists is a paradox. They base their doctrine around faith, and, when attempting to invoke rationality and critical thought, only end up looking like the morons they are.
You might be surprised at how many people out there actually don't base their beliefs on faith. A lot of people base their beliefs on lies, fallacious arguments and ignorance.

Regarding belief based on lies, this could be viewd as faith in the person who told the lie but still not faith in the sense of the context here.

Post Edit: I might add laziness to that. If someone makes a spurious claim and I believe it because I want it to be true and I am too lazy to verify that claim... that's not faith. Wishfull thinking is often the product of laziness.
Last edited by bipedalhumanoid on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martha
Posts: 1084
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Post by Martha » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:05 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
You might be surprised at how many people out there actually don't base their beliefs on faith. A lot of people base their beliefs on lies, fallacious arguments and ignorance.
And then there are those of us, who base their beliefs on their own personal experience :lol:
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:33 am

Martha wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
You might be surprised at how many people out there actually don't base their beliefs on faith. A lot of people base their beliefs on lies, fallacious arguments and ignorance.
And then there are those of us, who base their beliefs on their own personal experience :lol:
I tend to not to accept anecdotal evidence but each to his own. :P
Post Reply