Battlestar Galactica Sucks

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Battlestar Galactica Sucks

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:40 pm

I saw quite a few season 1 and 2 episodes and was just watching the most recent. I've noticed its increasing overtly religious subplot. Often I'm willing to ignore religious imagery and undertones in tv but this is becoming ridiculously obvious and overt.

I knew the guy responsible for both the new and original series was a mormon and I was a ware that the original series had some hidden religious undertones... the lost tribe of earth for instance relating to the mormon belief of the lost tribes of israel... but in tonight's episode a main character specifically named a number of pagan gods and claimed they were all false. He then followed the statement up by a claim that those gods were invented to prevent people from understanding the truth... that there is only one true god. Furthermore the character in question is increasingly looking more and more like a modern depiction of jesus christ... hair/beard and all.

Increasing amounts of air time seem to be spent preaching to the audience. There is no more subtlty. It's a shame to me because I used to enjoy the basic premise of the show (particularly in the unfinished original series) of a bunch of people fighting a robot enemy and trying to find earth has a lot of potential. Another oportunity squandered by religion.

Here's a web site that analyses the religiosity of the show...

http://www.michaellorenzen.com/galactica.html
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Holy crap (pardon the pun)... jesus man just healed a sick child.
mkaobrih
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1601
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:48 pm

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:55 pm

Got to disagree with you there – I love Battlestar Galactica – Yes - it’s got “The Gods” and “The One God” but it is still a very coherent plot that is moving along very nicely – I’ve got no problem with sci-fi having religion as a subplot. It just makes it all “other worldly”. I’ve seen the actress who plays Starbuck in the Bionic Woman – I think she is going to be typecast as playing mad psycho woman. The Jesus character is an amoral schizophrenic so I don’t see the problem.
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dublin

Post by Colin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:34 am

Eh... if you were to take all biblical references out of everything you'll be left with very little. From what I've read (having never gotten into Battlestar Galactica) is that he basically creates tension by having two opposing sides with opposing views.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 3003
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by Ygern » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:00 am

I haven't been following B.G. (don't have the time) but I know exactly how you feel.

I'm am a big fan of Babylon 5, and I have heard that it's creator J. Michael Straczynski is in fact an atheist. He was nevertheless very sympathetic and careful with the idea of religious belief and faith in the show and never tried to bash it. He did very cleverly suggest that religious figures out of mythology such as the angels were in fact aliens trying to manipulate a credulous population for their own ends.

I was really bewildered and disappointed when the most recent movie came out and one of the two storylines is as hokey religious twaddle as I have ever seen since The Exorcist and that ilk. Bizarre.
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:05 am

Colin wrote:Eh... if you were to take all biblical references out of everything you'll be left with very little. From what I've read (having never gotten into Battlestar Galactica) is that he basically creates tension by having two opposing sides with opposing views.
I didn't say I had a problem with religious references... in fact I said exactly the opposite. My point is there is a big difference between slipping in a religious reference and blatantly being preached at.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 3003
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cork
Contact:

Post by Ygern » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:14 am

There seems to be an unwritten presumption in Hollywood that a religious believer is always right, and that their belief somehow makes them 'better' than others.

It's not about biblical references, that is a part of human culture as well as a part of understanding human culture.

It's about the sickly 'respect' given to any believer in a show, that somehow it makes them deeper and more likely to be correct.

Granted a few have religious maniacs as well, but the overwhelming policy in Hollywood is that the Moderate Everyman Believer is a cut above the rest.
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dublin

Post by Colin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:08 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Colin wrote:Eh... if you were to take all biblical references out of everything you'll be left with very little. From what I've read (having never gotten into Battlestar Galactica) is that he basically creates tension by having two opposing sides with opposing views.
I didn't say I had a problem with religious references... in fact I said exactly the opposite. My point is there is a big difference between slipping in a religious reference and blatantly being preached at.
Well they could be refering to Apollonius of Tyana. He is basically Jesus, but older.
bipedalhumanoid
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:12 pm

Colin wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Colin wrote:Eh... if you were to take all biblical references out of everything you'll be left with very little. From what I've read (having never gotten into Battlestar Galactica) is that he basically creates tension by having two opposing sides with opposing views.
I didn't say I had a problem with religious references... in fact I said exactly the opposite. My point is there is a big difference between slipping in a religious reference and blatantly being preached at.
Well they could be refering to Apollonius of Tyana. He is basically Jesus, but older.
It could have been a coded means by which to discuss the intricacies of my left middle toenail too. What's your point?
inedifix
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post by inedifix » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:45 pm

I've followed it from the beginning and think it's one of the best things on TV. I see a fair amount of ambiguity in the god stuff: the good guys (the humans) believe in a pantheon of gods, while the Cylons are the monotheists. Battlestar Galactica excels at this, a bit like having the good guys using suicide bombers in the last series. It's also worth bearing in mind that Commander Adama is an atheist. Similarly, some of the Cylons are more 'spiritual' than others in their search for answers to their existence.

In truth, the god/s stuff has been there since the beginning, and there's every chance we'll make it to the end without any serious hypothesis being put forward. That said, I'm left with the feeling that series 3 is loosing its way, which is a real shame. Although it would be impossible to top the drama of Series 1.
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
Post Reply