Battlestar Galactica Sucks

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:58 pm

bipedal do you not think the show is good

wow that something i didn't know can barely remember the original, but what about the new shows writers,directors and producers are any of them mormons?

it is the best thing on thing on tv, (mad men aside).

i thought they were taking the piss out of religion with the gods vs god things, and that the cylons believe in them too, and that baltar is such a traitorous fake. its hardly putting jesus in a good light is it,

by that description rossalin is the final cylon? or something much worse.

is it better then battlefield earth?
test
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:29 pm

It is the best thing on TV and I thought season 3 was great – when The Chief, XO, Starbucks husband and the President’s aide found out that they were Cylons – that was amazing – I can’t listen to “all along the watchtower” now without thinking of that scene. It works on so many levels a critique of Iraq, Terrorism, Racism, Politics, Religion, everything is shades of grey. Who is the 5th Cylon? I love it.
Seamus89

Post by Seamus89 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:03 pm

for all we know the whole cyclone belief system is the delusions of their programmer.Also the gods of this series could turn out to be the race of light ones from the original series as i believe the five maybe
Alos to my mind neither side is being shown in the best of lights with both having attempted genicide,one on religious grounds while the other used sucides bombings.
Alos seson two was the best followed by 3 then 1
mkaobrih,its not anybody in this picture

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/M ... ml?tid=577
Gar

Post by Gar » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:41 am

is season 3 the one where it ends and they find out they're cylons ? has anyone else seen the movie Battlestar Galactica: Razor. If any of the fans out there haven't seen it yet they should legally purchase it from the internet and not get it via evil bittorrent :wink:
It's all about the Pegasus back story , I thought it was great.
I don't mind what the connotations of religion at all.. I mostly like it for the great stories and also the spaceships.. I am a nerd after all !
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:10 pm

lostexpectation wrote:bipedal do you not think the show is good

wow that something i didn't know can barely remember the original, but what about the new shows writers,directors and producers are any of them mormons?

it is the best thing on thing on tv, (mad men aside).

i thought they were taking the piss out of religion with the gods vs god things, and that the cylons believe in them too, and that baltar is such a traitorous fake. its hardly putting jesus in a good light is it,

by that description rossalin is the final cylon? or something much worse.

is it better then battlefield earth?
I much prefered the original series to be honest. I find this one very frustrating to follow... especially when they were constantly hopping back to the war on caprica and then into Baltar's head. I wish they'd just get on with the fight against the cylons and the search for earth.

Yes Baltar is a cowardly, selfish and possibly evil character... but that's partly my point. He was a cowardly, selfish, evil ATHEIST and now that he has turned religious he is becoming a better person.

Perhaps commander Adama is an atheist... he's also very unhappy, possibly an alcoholic with a big void in his life.

It paints atheism in a very bad light and to be honest, for me, magical thinking ruins sci fi. When something strange happens in star trek they always have some kind of scientific explanation for it. That's what makes the show interesting. Miracles don't go down well to my taste. It reminds me of all those 1980s movies where two people switch bodies or tom hanks changes from a child to an adult etc. Never any kind of explanation for the strange hapennings except maybe that someone made a wish.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:06 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote: Yes Baltar is a cowardly, selfish and possibly evil character... but that's partly my point. He was a cowardly, selfish, evil ATHEIST and now that he has turned religious he is becoming a better person.
he had people worshipping him for most of the series, i don't think he become religious at all, he still just talking the piss and using it for his own satisfaction.
test
Colin
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Colin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:06 pm

I've never seen it, but from what you said saying it seems to be used to promote conflict or to ground the conflict, but maybe I'm wrong and it is like having a bible basher in a programme.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:46 am

lostexpectation wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote: Yes Baltar is a cowardly, selfish and possibly evil character... but that's partly my point. He was a cowardly, selfish, evil ATHEIST and now that he has turned religious he is becoming a better person.
he had people worshipping him for most of the series, i don't think he become religious at all, he still just talking the piss and using it for his own satisfaction.
He just prayed to heal a dying child who was then completely well shortly afterwards. The look on his face said it all and it wasn't the first time he has encountered evidence of the existence of god in the show.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:52 am

it made him think twice but he clearly still doesn't believe it beyond what it could get him women power security etc.
test
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm

lostexpectation wrote:it made him think twice but he clearly still doesn't believe it beyond what it could get him women power security etc.
I spose neither of us are on particularly solid ground when we base our assertions on what a fictional character may or may not be thinking.