Split from "Bad arguments and how to spot them" going off topic

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
Patrick Fowke

Re: Bad arguments and how to spot them

Post by Patrick Fowke » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:21 am

JH wrote:This used to be a great thread. Talk about hijack... :roll:
I appear to be pissing people off. I sincerely didn't intend to but rather to have a positive, constructive exchange. I have obviously failed on my part. Apologies. And thanks to those who have debated / discussed things with me. Bye, and good luck to all.
davef

Post by davef » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:51 am

Patrick,

Punctuation using the slash works like this/this/and this, NOT like that / that / or that.

Ok?

Ok.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:23 am

don't worry, we will fix it back up :)
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:56 am

It's after getting Fowked up......... :shock:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Caca

Post by Caca » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Sorry JH!
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by JH » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Caca wrote:Sorry JH!
Say ten Hail Mary's
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Split from "Bad arguments and how to spot them" going off to

Post by CatHerder » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi Patrick, I've had to split the "Bad arguments and how to spot them" discussion. You are welcome to respond to what members have said in this discussion. Please keep in mind discussion titles before posting. Driving a discussion off topic is not appreciated.
Patrick Fowke

Post by Patrick Fowke » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:24 pm

CatHerder wrote:Hi Patrick, I've had to split the "Bad arguments and how to spot them" discussion. You are welcome to respond to what members have said in this discussion. Please keep in mind discussion titles before posting. Driving a discussion off topic is not appreciated.
Thanks Seamus
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 am

Patrick Fowke wrote:Thanks Seamus
you're welcome Patrick

Patrick Fowke wrote:to what Ygern was discussing in his post
and, I can't believe you've just said that :roll:
Ygern's a she, and she tried to tell you that in the other discussion.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:49 pm

Patrick,

You are labouring under a few misconceptions.

First:
You keep going on about how your faith has brought you happiness. I’m not sure how you think this is of any interest or relevance to an atheist. If anything, it somewhat weakens your credibility.
A small child who believes in Santa Claus also receives great joy and happiness from his belief in the man with the white beard and a red suit. That doesn’t make Santa Claus real; and it certainly doesn’t mean that the child ought to try to keep on believing in Santa all his life. On the contrary, he is going to have to grow up one day or be thought a fool.

Second:
I get the impression from a number of your posts that you regard it as some sort of revelation that some Christians are nice people and even agree with atheists on certain subjects.
All of us on this forum are very familiar with Christians. At least 50% of the members here, and probably more, were Catholic themselves once upon a time. We all have friends, wives, boyfriends, siblings and parents who adhere to one or another religion. And those of us who were Believers gave it up in most cases not because we were victims of abuse, but because we decided God, religion, Catholicism, the whole package was false.

Its true, some of us regard religion as damaging and poisonous to varying degrees. That’s why we want it out of public life and denied special treatment. But mostly, we want it out of the way because we're pretty sure it isn’t true.

If you understand why you reject all the other religions, you'll understand why I reject yours.

Thirdly:
Empiricism. Stop it. You’re boring us (a almost unforgivable sin). Your little excursion into the history of empiricism has utterly failed to prove anything about the artificial distinction were hoping to make; and amounts to so much hand-waving to distract from the fact that you either can’t or won’t answer pertinent questions asked of you.

Hint: we are not interested in the Fowkes Version of Philosophy 101

If you make a claim:
Christians are, by personal nature, as well as by the nature of their faith, as much empiricist as rationalist
you have to explain what you mean. Whatever you may think, it is not a clear self-evident sentence. It is a loaded claim, and a rather dubious claim.

Saying "Oh, read it again" or "That’s irrelevant" is simply more hand-waving on your part; leading me to think that you can’t answer the question because you were just grandstanding in the first place. If you want a soapbox, I believe the place to go is Speaker’s Corner in Hyde Park, London. If you want a meaningful discussion on this forum then you are going to have to answer the questions put to you.

So again:
Why do you say Christians are empiricist?
Why do you say Christians are rationalist?
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics