Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
davef
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by davef » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:48 pm

My €0.02:
I reckon deleting the thread was too heavy-handed. Lock it, fine, I would have no problem with that. You can put a Mod message in the last post and say why exactly you're locking it, which leaves the option of developing the discussion in a further thread, without the abusive/offensive language. Or even re-opening it at a later time. As it stands at the moment, the thread is gone, and an opportunity for an interesting discussion is gone with it. Plus, we now have this snark-fest of a thread...

The last thing I'd like to see is for the moderation here to turn out like that at boards.ie, where threads are locked and posters banned at the drop of a hat.
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by FXR » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:17 pm

.......Or Irish Catholics where they resorted to wholesale banning because they didnt like what they heard.

You dont have an alternative to religion when you imitate its methods.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
mkaobrih
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1601
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:54 pm

Feel free to comment - all comments welcome.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1266
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by Feardorcha » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:23 pm

It was an obnoxious, tabloid-rag rant at a group of people. It was devoid of humour, it was anti-debate - just plain hate invective - and an abuse of this forum.
muloc
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by muloc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:51 pm

I feel I have to side with FXR here. Not defending what he said but his right to say it. The discussion should have continued and he should have had to defend his point of view against, what I am sure would have been, an onslaught.

Muslims are a minority in this country, but I haven't seen any threads deleted after taking into consideration how they might be offended.

Although all comments might be welcome here, this was not the case for the previous thread. Why? I think it is a case of censorship and being offended on somebody elses behalf.
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by FXR » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:16 pm

mkaobrih wrote:Feel free to comment - all comments welcome.
Until when?

Youve already refused to answer very simple direct questions.

Did you decide arbitarily to delete the thread solo without any advice or input from anyone else?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by FXR » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 pm

muloc wrote:I feel I have to side with FXR here. Not defending what he said but his right to say it. The discussion should have continued and he should have had to defend his point of view against, what I am sure would have been, an onslaught.

Muslims are a minority in this country, but I haven't seen any threads deleted after taking into consideration how they might be offended.

Although all comments might be welcome here, this was not the case for the previous thread. Why? I think it is a case of censorship and being offended on somebody elses behalf.
With all due respect it wasnt even a discussion it was banter at the bottom end of a little website in cyberspace.

If it was a march promoting equal rights for Catlicks .......oops .......is that allowed?.....
Or if Id refered to the Holy Roman Catholic Church as the CCL would that have been a problem?

Or if Id referd to Da Travelling Community as the Cream Crackers Shifting Caravan Club would tha...
Oops thats where the problem started......

As Voltaire° said and muloc understands; I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it:

°PS; By Voltaire I mean the Frenchman not the lying Catholic low life who got past the gate keepers till I uncovered him.

Bon nuit :wink:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 914
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by Dev » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:02 am

FXR wrote:
mkaobrih wrote:Feel free to comment - all comments welcome.
Until when?

Youve already refused to answer very simple direct questions.

Did you decide arbitarily to delete the thread solo without any advice or input from anyone else?
I would like to move the discussion on to why these people think they deserve equal rights when they don't accept equal responsibility. The discrimination they face is no different than the discrimination any other minority faces and therefore is not an excuse. Besides they aren't a real ethnic group they just live a different lifestyle.

Most claim to have been refused service in a pub, the majority were given the following reason "because you're travelers". They have no visible ethnic traits and I doubt they walked in to a bar and said "we're travelers". I wonder how a barman can tell that they are travelers?
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by FXR » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:08 am

Feardorcha wrote:It was an obnoxious, tabloid-rag rant at a group of people. It was devoid of humour, it was anti-debate - just plain hate invective - and an abuse of this forum.
A comment directly motivated I suspect by the fact you could not reply after your ill advised interjection in a thread Dev started in Atheism/Religion. How is Candy Malone?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Post by FXR » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:15 am

Dev wrote:
FXR wrote:
mkaobrih wrote:Feel free to comment - all comments welcome.
Until when?

Youve already refused to answer very simple direct questions.

Did you decide arbitarily to delete the thread solo without any advice or input from anyone else?
I would like to move the discussion on to why these people think they deserve equal rights when they don't accept equal responsibility. The discrimination they face is no different than the discrimination any other minority faces and therefore is not an excuse. Besides they aren't a real ethnic group they just live a different lifestyle.

Most claim to have been refused service in a pub, the majority were given the following reason "because you're travelers". They have no visible ethnic traits and I doubt they walked in to a bar and said "we're travelers". I wonder how a barman can tell that they are travelers?
Dev that discussion has already been deleted. The Irish Atheist Papacy has spoken. The Congregation of the Atheist Faith will burn you at the proverbial stake and then youll be really knackered.......
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Locked