Page 1 of 3

Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm
by mkaobrih
The previous topic regarding a traveller’s march has been deleted due to insensitive comments regard a minority in our society. Please exercise more sensitivity in future discussions.

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:06 am
by Dev
Are you referring to my comments, thread title or both?

I don't think their lifestyle is appropriate in this day and age for raising children. I would feel the same way with a settled person if they moved from house to house across Ireland taking their kids in and out of school on a monthly basis. It perpetuates a cycle of high illiteracy rates and encourages apathy of the Irish education system. Almost all well educated travelers were taught by their parents or were self taught. These are not viable alternatives or appropriate compromises.

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:38 pm
by FXR
The prelude to censorship is losing your sense of humor.
What next; ortodox versus unortodox atheism. Who exactly is behind this.....

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:20 am
by FXR
mkaobrih wrote:The previous topic regarding a traveller’s march has been deleted due to insensitive comments regard a minority in our society. Please exercise more sensitivity in future discussions.
I have some questions; who decided this?

Was there a discussion?

If there was who was involved?

Is there some Stalinist commitee Pope lurking in the backround issuing instructions?

The first principle of free speech is not to censor but to defend the right of anyone to say anything no matter what and to deal with what they say rather than resort to tactics invented by the CCL.

How do you defend minorities by attacking language because its unacceptable to minority appointed judges pontificating over who is and who is not allowed to express themselves in the manner they see fit?

I hope any Freethinkers remaining get to read this before the politbureau delete it:

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:07 am
by mkaobrih
Get of your high horse Frank – I’ve lost count of the number of edits deletes and moves that you made when you were a mod. The Tyranny of the majority is not by me. If anyone is unhappy with my decision pm me.

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:47 am
by Beebub
Yeah, I have to say, I didn't like it. I'm not offering an opinion on the topic. I know it was posted on 'Off Topic' but I don't see either the relevence nor the benefit of encouraging that type of language here.

If you used a derogatory term against almost any other minority you'd likely have had more dissenters.

I suspect you started the thread primarily to be controversial for the sake of controversy. If you wanted genuine discourse on the rights and wrongs of the Travellers' way of life you would not have used such a prevocative subject heading and to try and pass it off as some sort of old Dublin language was frankly laughable.

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:38 pm
by FXR
mkaobrih wrote:Get of your high horse Frank – I’ve lost count of the number of edits deletes and moves that you made when you were a mod. The Tyranny of the majority is not by me. If anyone is unhappy with my decision pm me.
.

I dont know how you could lose count of something that never happened.

When was I a Mod?

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:54 pm
by bockedy
I didn't care for some of the comments made either on that thread. My own position is that I tolerate Traveller culture insofar as the law requires me to. I don't respect some individual travellers based on their actions, which is different.

To tar every last traveller with the same brush is not acceptable in my book.
FXR wrote:The first principle of free speech is not to censor but to defend the right of anyone to say anything no matter what and to deal with what they say rather than resort to tactics invented by the CCL.
Even in the US, where they have the most liberal free speech laws (in theory, I know) is limited by what is permissible by law. You can't go around shouting "Fire" in a crowded cinema etc etc without suffering the consequences.

The mods have a similar duty in relation to what is legally permissible so that the website admins/owners don't get hit with court action. That might seem a bit over the top as a statement, but it is a possibility.

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:59 pm
by FXR
Beebub wrote:Yeah, I have to say, I didn't like it. I'm not offering an opinion on the topic. I know it was posted on 'Off Topic' but I don't see either the relevence nor the benefit of encouraging that type of language here.

If you used a derogatory term against almost any other minority you'd likely have had more dissenters.

I suspect you started the thread primarily to be controversial for the sake of controversy. If you wanted genuine discourse on the rights and wrongs of the Travellers' way of life you would not have used such a prevocative subject heading and to try and pass it off as some sort of old Dublin language was frankly laughable.
Religions begin when someone loses their sense of humor. Whats the Church doctrine; everything has to be treated seriously and comply with the ortodoxy? Its another mark of religion to presume to speak for others whether asked to or not.

If there is a dissagreement it can be worked in public where anyone can give their opinion not by having some hidden hand decide who can discuss what and in what way.

Is there a language commitee now deciding on an approved list of terms?

Re: Previous Thread Regarding Traveller’s March – Deleted by Mod

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:10 pm
by FXR
bockedy wrote:I didn't care for some of the comments made either on that thread. My own position is that I tolerate Traveller culture insofar as the law requires me to. I don't respect some individual travellers based on their actions, which is different.

To tar every last traveller with the same brush is not acceptable in my book.
FXR wrote:The first principle of free speech is not to censor but to defend the right of anyone to say anything no matter what and to deal with what they say rather than resort to tactics invented by the CCL.
Even in the US, where they have the most liberal free speech laws (in theory, I know) is limited by what is permissible by law. You can't go around shouting "Fire" in a crowded cinema etc etc without suffering the consequences.

The mods have a similar duty in relation to what is legally permissible so that the website admins/owners don't get hit with court action. That might seem a bit over the top as a statement, but it is a possibility.
Youre entitled to your opinion.....so is everyone else. Thats the point. This is not the 9 pm news or the floor of the US congress, its the basement section of just one of a few million websites with relatively no traffic.

Who decides who reads what?