Lil' Help needed...much appreciated...

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
Dionysus

Lil' Help needed...much appreciated...

Post by Dionysus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently putting together a presentation for my class on the blasphemy law. It has to be about ten/fifteen minutes long, and I do have the basic outline finished. I followed it quite closely in the news etc when it was all over the place, and I want to do a bit of awareness-raising in my course. I'm a little sick of just shushing and never bringing up my views.

It's an adult course, not school, so I think people can handle a little debate and controversy. However, it is a mostly Catholic (or an "I'll say I'm Catholic" anyway) kind of group. All ages, from 21 to too-old-to-care, lol.

So far, I have a lot of me talking about the ins and outs, but very little to jazz it up, or amuse or enrage my audience. There are a few secular people/unbelievers in the class, but most would be shocked at our conversations. And I've been advised to lighten the mood a little.

However, I can't find anything that isn't either grossly rude (and thus, inappropriate. I want to shock people, but profanity would be a no-no for grades) or else would fly over the heads of my peers.

So I need help. Does anyone have any ideas for me to kick around? I'd be grateful for anything that might make my presentation a bit more fun and a little less...wordy...

Thanks a lot,

Dionysus
Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present.

Ludwig Wittgenstein
rccaulfield

Re: Lil' Help needed...much appreciated...

Post by rccaulfield » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Replace a religion in a blaspheme sentence for a political party to get a reaction! E.g. that is a catholic child=that is a fianna fail child= Its wrong to label children. Theyl decide when theyr old enough!
Rev j.jones

Post by Rev j.jones » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 am

theres a really good jokes section in the fourm

viewforum.php?f=5
"The Meek a'int gonna inherit shit"
"I've got a hell of a lot of weapons to fight! I got my claws, I got cutlasses, I got guns, I got dynamite, I got a hell of a lot of fight! I will fight!" Rev Jones cured religion for 950 americans.
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:39 am

rccaulfield wrote:Replace a religion in a blaspheme sentence for a political party to get a reaction! E.g. that is a catholic child=that is a fianna fail child= Its wrong to label children. Theyl decide when theyr old enough!
Is that exactly blasphemy though? I know where you're coming from and it's a good point, but I'm wondering...

Do you mean if I say something blasphemous and then say, replace it with political party and show how we take a lot of insults in politics but not the exact same thing with religion?

And, conversely, things we don't take offense to with religion we would if replaced with politics...

Hmm...

I shall ponder :D
Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present.

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Head over to our sister site : http://blasphemy.ie/
There's is plenty of material there.

The reasons behind our campaign are laid out on this page: http://blasphemy.ie/why-campaign/

They might make your point well enough without the need to shock people - using the shock tactic is a risky business, you could alienate your audience before you've even had a chance to make your case.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks Ygern...

I've been tweaking it a little and have actually come to the same conclusion. I'm thinking that if I don't insult people they'll be more likely to like what I say and listen.
I had the quote from The God Delusion...The God of the Old Testament is arguably the worst character in fiction quote, then I took it out because I didn't want to end on a bad note, I'd rather end with something hopeful from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights...

Cheers for your info and advice though :P

Ludwig Wittgenstein