Sci-Fi Thread

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
munsterdevil

Sci-Fi Thread

Post by munsterdevil » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Trailer of the second half of series 1 of Caprica, it's coming in January, bit of a wait but it looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL4Xf-sDZOU

ps, I tried to use the YouTube embed thing but it wouldn't work, anyone know how to do it? it says to enter the code after v= but that doesn't work
Last edited by munsterdevil on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
mkaobrih

Re: Caprica Season 1.5

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:55 am

Thanks for that – I was wondering when it would come back.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:43 pm

Is it better than Battlestar Gallactica?

I only caught a few episodes of that, and I was going to watch the rest until I heard all the fallout after the last episode where they tried to backwards engineer Judeo-Christian religious characters into the mix. Bleah.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Ygern wrote:Is it better than Battlestar Gallactica?

I only caught a few episodes of that, and I was going to watch the rest until I heard all the fallout after the last episode where they tried to backwards engineer Judeo-Christian religious characters into the mix. Bleah.
So far they are had to compare because none of the episodes so far occur in space, it's unlikely the rest will either, just different planets.

I wasn't aware that they were trying to backward engineer Judeo Christian religious characters, but there was definitely a push for a Benevolent God. Also, the revelation that the half cylon half human was primordial Eve showed a clear lack of understanding on the subject of primordial Adam and Eve by the writers.

Having said that I still enjoyed the show, immensely in fact. The characters are far from perfect and their flaws make them all the more human. I have said it before that it is worth watching for the political side of it alone. My opinion is that it is just a TV show and is there to be enjoyed. A lot of people got worked up over the last episode alright, but as I said, it's just television, I mean if people want to be really pedantic about it they could argue as to why they talk and write in English.

I fully recommend you watch both, and they're easily available on torrents
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Battlestar is GREAT – You will not regret watching it - So say we all.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Caprica has Eric Stoltz – I’ve a soft spot for him (from the 80’s).
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:48 pm

Wohoo, great news Caprica is back in early October instead of the originally planned early January, details and preview here:
http://blastr.com/2010/09/syfy-brings-caprica-back.php
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Caprica has been cancelled, there won't be a second series :(

Apparently the viewing figures dropped since the pilot, very disappointing news. The SyFy channel have put off showing the last 5 episodes of the first season until the new year.

Frak!
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Sounds like Firefly all over again.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:18 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Sounds like Firefly all over again.
Yep, Firefly was a bloody good show and was critically acclaimed, but the viewing figures for it were always low for some reason.

As regards Caprica, to be fair, it wasn't spectacular and following on from the brilliant BSG was always going to be a tough act to follow. I think what turned some people off it was the fact that there was less of a SCI-FI feel to it as none of it was set in outer space. At times, if not most times, it felt like it was a drama series set on a parallel Earth! But I'm still going to miss it, it's a missed oppurtunity.

Having said that, the SyFy channel are still going ahead with Blood and Chrome, which is to be about a young William Adama in the first Cylon war.