Renting in Dublin

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Renting in Dublin

Post by Marks » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:28 am

The two daughters are moving out and into rented accommodation in Dublin. Circumstances have changed and they cannot get to their places of work/college from where we live. The only problem is that I have not got a clue on renting accommodation.

They are looking for a two bed apartment around Dublin 2, within walking distance of the Luas or they would share a house. They will not share a bedroom.

Does anyone know the pitfalls in renting accommodation and exactly what is reasonable rent these days in Dublin 2?

Do you just agree the asking price or do they consider any reasonable offer?

We are viewing an apartment this afternoon but there is no picture of it on the website which has me worried.

Any advice would be welcome.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Renting in Dublin

Post by chemicals » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:45 am

presumably you have tried DAFT ?
http://www.daft.ie/
this should give you an idea of the prices

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s% ... fr=default
والقس هو مجنون
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Yes they looked at that website and a few more. We have now got a few places to view. There is a huge range of prices though but I suppose when we view the properties we will know what is good value or not.

I am hoping they will not be very expensive as really there is no way out of this they must move out.
MyloD
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MyloD » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:05 am

I recently helped my son and his friend to find a two bed apartment in Dublin city centre (Ellis Quay). The asking was €900pcm but we bargained them down to €800. I'd advise you to at least negotiate on the price and use Daft to get a feeling for the price in each area.

Also, if a landlord is aware that a parent is involved, they'll usually be more prepared to drop the rent a little.

There are also some landlords out there that rent rooms separately in a house share, i.e. the housemates are on separate contracts and are decided by the landlord who covers the bills in return for a fixed room rental.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:01 pm

We looked at an apartment in the city on Saturday and it is a kip to say the least. The landlord has the builders in and is doing some work. He is looking for 900 a month for something that I would not live in. Honestly you could not swing a cat in it and it was filty. What is the standard of accommodation that your children have?

The girls are looking at another one this evening somewhere around leeson street.
MyloD
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MyloD » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:12 pm

I did notice that you can get a higher standard for the same price on the north side of the city... Having said that we looked at about 9 places before finding something habitable for €800

tbh, demand for a Dublin 2/4 address pushes the price far too high. I've seen some absolute hovels especially in the older buildings. Have you looked around docklands etc?
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:00 pm

MyloD wrote:I did notice that you can get a higher standard for the same price on the north side of the city... Having said that we looked at about 9 places before finding something habitable for €800
Oh no that sounds bad. They have to be within walking distance of the Luas which goes from Stephen's green. We were concentrating on the southside but by the looks of things they simply will not be able to afford it. We will have to try the Northside and they can walk over to the luas. Bet this one tonight will be a kip as well so.
Gar

Post by Gar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Marks wrote:
MyloD wrote:I did notice that you can get a higher standard for the same price on the north side of the city... Having said that we looked at about 9 places before finding something habitable for €800
Oh no that sounds bad. They have to be within walking distance of the Luas which goes from Stephen's green. We were concentrating on the southside but by the looks of things they simply will not be able to afford it. We will have to try the Northside and they can walk over to the luas. Bet this one tonight will be a kip as well so.
Hi Marks,
I live in Rialto and I'm pretty sure the rents around here are as cheap as you would get on the northside, there is a bus that goes within a short walk to the green line luas and there are two stops on the red line within less than 5 mins walk.
There are a bunch of new apartments after being built and loads are empty so I'd say you could rent one of them for very sensible money, actually here's one here.

Myself and my fiance have been living here for just over 2 years now and we both really like the area. If you want anymore information about the area then I'd be happy to help.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:30 pm

They got a place not as nice as that one in Rialto but not a kip. They looked at one yesterday and it had not got a cooker. How do they get away with this.

Anyway this one is right beside the Luas and has free heating as well, 900 a month. They are moving in at the weekend. Thanks anyway.