What's your favourite piece of software?

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

What's your favourite piece of software?

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Just wondering what your favourite software would be, I know I have often loaded software which is great but then find I never use, then there's other software that I would use every day, and couldn't survive without, so basically what software couldn't you survive without?

Mine is Micosoft "Onenote", every day I use it to log and save webpage-clips, and for organising info, just so powerfull nad usefull. When I installed MS-office I didn't think I would ever use onenote.
mkaobrih

Re: What's your favourite piece of software?

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:29 pm

J. River media center – for bulk tagging and podcasts and jetaudio for converting youtube things onto family members various cowon devices (A2 X5 D2 I7). Quite partial to excel myself and foldersizes.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Gar

Post by Gar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:31 pm

My favourite software is probably my operating system, Ubuntu.. I've been using it for about 4 years now and it's completely replaced windows for me.

I also am a big fan of netbeans, I find it great, it's made development of Java a lot easier than before..
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Hard to decide on a single piece of software. I have a lot of favorites including VLC, Chrome and uTorrent. For simplicity and something that was original I find Quicksilver for Mac OS X incredibly useful.
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:58 pm

I was going to say Linux- but another Ubuntu user already has. (BTW the Irish Linux User Group AGM is on in Dublin next Saturday :).)
Some favourites which come to mind:
Locate32 for indexing files in Windows (very fast and useful)
Launchy in Windows and Gnome-do in Linux, like Quicksilver for quick access to apps and files
Comodo for free Windows Firewall and Virus Scanner

And my all time favourite:
Firefox (using 4.0 beta now- so stable and fast)
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:27 pm

Visual Studio 2010. You can have your hippie Linux stuff 8)
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:42 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:Visual Studio 2010. You can have your hippie Linux stuff 8)
:lol: Visual Studio is the only thing which makes development on Windows some way bearable. Got me a free copy with the MS Dreamspark student initiative. Love the new interface but they've moved things which is quite frustrating at times.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:32 am

IrishAndroid wrote:
bipedalhumanoid wrote:Visual Studio 2010. You can have your hippie Linux stuff 8)
:lol: Visual Studio is the only thing which makes development on Windows some way bearable. Got me a free copy with the MS Dreamspark student initiative. Love the new interface but they've moved things which is quite frustrating at times.
I've had no end of misery working on open source linux/java projects. What is it that hippies have against testing and documenting?

You end up spending more time trying to work-around bugs in the IDE and third party modules that the long haired author didn't bother to test after he finished work for the day at 4am in his mother's basement.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.