Anti-virus software

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Anti-virus software

Post by Ygern » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Question: do I have to run the "complete scan" every week on my McAfee AV program?

I have a fast computer and a large hard-drive, but it still takes MAV upwards of 6 hours to scan and it has never found so much as a stray cookie in more than a year.
I keep my AV software & firewall up to date, am not stupid when it comes to dodgy websites or downloads so I am not sure why I don't pare it down to a basic scan instead of a complete one, other than being paranoid.
Right now MAV just seems to exist to annoy.

Your thoughts?
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
benroe

Re: Anti-virus software

Post by benroe » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:49 pm

McAfee is a virus, difficult to change settings and almost impossible to get rid of. I use AVG much quicker and easier to use.
you should try" Advanced systemcare " it only scans internet files and only takes 10 mins. It works with AVG , i,m not sure it would work with McAfee.
Benroe
IrishAndroid
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by IrishAndroid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:54 pm

McAfee security center is an okay product (and it's easy to configure and uninstall despite what others may say). You probably don't have to do a full scan that often, or just schedule it to happen at night. You have on access file scanning enabled presumably so files are scanned when opened, moved etc. That should be enough.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:39 am

benroe wrote:McAfee is a virus, difficult to change settings and almost impossible to get rid of.
Agree but on a scale of bad still better than Norton.

F-secure is so amazing, you wouldn't even know it was running, apart from at at startup when it background checks all is ok. No popups ever, except when F-secure detects and removes a virus, a full system scan rootkits/maleware/virus takes about 6-8hrs on my little machine, a quick scan 20min.
The MS-security suite is free and suppose to be really good, I installed it on someones PC with F-secure no conflicts. (I deleted Norton from someones PC a few weeks ago even though he was paying for it, and installed MS-security essentials, he said it was like a new machine)

Some handy stuff from MS-technet lab sysinternals Sysinternals Security Utilities especially if you want to knows whats going on behind the user-interface, also some other very useful aps, which you know are 100% safe to use.

I would only do a Full-scan once a month if that, or if system started acting slow, I have IE internet-security set to max and then trusted sites set to Medium, which can be annoying having to add sites to trusted especialy when they have content on another site, ie youtube have their vids on s.ytimg.com, but handly in blocking ads.

Grania couldn't you just do a fast scan once a week or forthnight and a full scan every few months, and a full manual scan if you think somethings up.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 pm

I have experience of Norton, Mcaffee, PCCillin/OfficeScan and to a lesser extent AVG.

Norton is by far the worst. Compared to Norton, Mcaffee is a breath of fresh air.

The system that lead to the least problems/complications was PCCillin, but then again PCCillin is also the one that failed to detect that facebook virus I was infected with last year. In fact neither the livescan or any subsequent scans were able to detect it. I had to remove that one manually by deleting certain files and changing the windows registry. Despite that, Norton and Mcaffee were both able to detect and block that one.

I've had no problems with AVG. I run the free version in my virtual machines.

You're never really protected just by deleting your forwards and trying to be careful. I've been infected by two viruses. The first was back in 2001. The developer was exploiting a vulnerability in Microsoft Outlook that allowed a particular type of attached file to be run automatically when the email was openned.

The more recent one was quite clever. I was presented with a you tube like video interface and a message saying I needed to download an active x component Adobe Flash. It looked perfectly fine.

Even if you can avoid these, you've got internet worms that can find their way into your system via openned ports without any action by you. That's why you need a firewall.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:57 pm

I avoid the big guys like Norton and McAffee, they're too heavy. If I had to recommend at anti-virus on a Windows machine it would be NOD32 simply because of it's low system footprint.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:40 pm

I use the free Avast system and find it excellent, I have been told by numerous IT friends to stay away from the ones that you have to pay for.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:23 pm

munsterdevil wrote:I use the free Avast system and find it excellent.
Me too, no issues at all
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Me too I use avast but in the past I've used Norton (sadface) and AVG (until it could no longer complete a scan of my HD in 1 day) - I don’t scan anymore - just on access unless I suspect something. Constantly accessing your drive has got to hurt it. I change AV frequently- if one no longer works for me I choose another – I never go down the paid route though the free ones are very good.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
bobmorton

Post by bobmorton » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:41 am

Yeah, try Avast, I used it years ago and I got no problems in using it plus the easy to use functions and great anti virus protection. I used McAfee before, and I decided to used another better anti virus software.
B.Morton
Spammer