RTÉ'S Greatest Irish Person

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.

Who do you consider to be the greatest Irish person (you can change your mind)

Bono
No votes
Michael Collins
25%
John Hume
15%
Mary Robinson
15%
James Connolly
10%
Other (someone you believe should be included, please state)
35%

Total votes: 20
munsterdevil

RTÉ'S Greatest Irish Person

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:00 pm

On the Late Late Show tonight they previewed an upcoming series where the public have a chance to vote for the greatest Irish person (the five options and 'other' are listed above).

Personally I would go for John Hume, I believe him to be the forgotten man of the Northern Irish Peace Process. Having said that I believe Michael Collins will win.

You can change your mind in the poll as each episode may change your mind!

postedit: The program is starting this Monday 20n September, also, there has been a few complaints that few scientists or women made it into the previous shorlists :? :? :?
Last edited by munsterdevil on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Greatest Irish Person

Post by dugges » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:10 pm

I went for Mary Robbinson!

No Mayo bias though :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Here is a list of names I'd put before every single person in your list and would also put above James Joyce and Oscar Wilde...

Robert Boyle
William ‘Guillermo’ Bowles
Francis Beaufort
Reverend Nicholas Callan
Edward J Conway
William Parsons, Third Earl of Rosse
George Boole
William Rowan Hamilton
John Tyndall
William Thomson
George Francis Fitzgerald
George Johnstone Stoney
J.D. Bernal
Ernest Walton
Kathleen Lonsdale
Denis Burkitt
John Bell
Jocelyn Bell Burnell

I'll never understand why Irish scientists are overlooked in these lists. They're far more important than any author, artist or politician.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Just to clarify it's RTÉ'S list, NOT mine.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. Arthur C. Clarke
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:38 pm

munsterdevil wrote:Just to clarify it's RTÉ'S list, NOT mine.
Ok. Roberty Boyle was the founder of modern chemistry. He is responsible for discrediting alchemy. He's my choice.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
munsterdevil

Re: RTÉ'S Greatest Irish Person

Post by munsterdevil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Would Robert Boyle be widely considered the greatest Irish scientist? I know it's a very broad question but if he is I'll include him in the poll, because if Bono can get into the poll there should be at least one scientist.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 pm

I only know bono out of the list and am not very proud of that!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:08 am

I'm going for Boole.

There's a Cork connection, but mostly because his contribution to programming is a world-class achievement.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:01 am

munsterdevil wrote:Would Robert Boyle be widely considered the greatest Irish scientist? I know it's a very broad question but if he is I'll include him in the poll, because if Bono can get into the poll there should be at least one scientist.
I'd say he's widely unknown and that's a travesty.

Look at it this way. Michael Collins, for instance, has done a lot for Ireland. Depending on political persuasion of course, the Irish have very good reason to admire the man and to be thankful for his accomplishments. I don't want to take anything away from him.

However, Boyle is an Irishman who has had a huge impact on the entire world and every generation since his own.
leo

Post by leo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:07 pm

Just looking at some of the names mentioned above. It's an impressive list. Shame that they are not all household names considering the scale of their achievements.

George Stokes is another. He is responsible for Stokes' Law and Stokes parameters.