Is this report about the fate of horses in Ireland true.

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
eccles
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Is this report about the fate of horses in Ireland true.

Post by eccles » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:52 am

This aticle appeared in "The Herald Sun" a daily in Melbourne Austral, a paper known for its inaccuracy like most newspapers.
I am a horse lover and I know how much Irish people love horses. That is why a am concerned about this.

Thousands of horses left to die in Ireland as recession hits owners

OUT 20,000 horses have been abandoned or destroyed in Ireland since the country's economic crisis, an animal charity said yesterday.
Ireland's racehorse ownership was the highest in Europe during the country's boom years, with a thoroughbred seen as a status symbol.

Since the recession the animals have been abandoned by owners who can no longer afford to keep them, said Conor Dowling, of the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ISPCA).

The ISPCA said that as winter approaches many horses are starving and have had to be destroyed. The charity was especially worried for naturally slim racehorses.

"We really don't know how bad this is going to get," said Mr Dowling."The price has fallen so much that anyone can get a horse. They are being exchanged for old mobile phones."

Philip MacManus, a veterinary surgeon from Galway, said, "It's all about the money. I know of a vet in Limerick who shot five thoroughbreds this week. Where I can, I take them home with me rather than see them destroyed."

The Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has rescued 103 horses so far this year. "We need an end-to-end solution. We need to educate people about breeding to reduce the number of horses," said Orla Aungier, who helps to manage the charity.

An Irish TV documentary, "Ear to the Ground," broadcast recently by the RTE network, explored the possibility of farming and slaughtering the horses for meat but reported that only horses that have been microchipped, have never been injected with phenylbutazone - an anti-inflammatory drug - and whose passport permits it can enter the food chain.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaki ... 5962064947
em hotep

Robert Tobin Minister, First Church of Atheism (Philidelphia)
"May Your God Go WIth You"
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Is this report about the fate of horses in Ireland true.

Post by Tulip1 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:42 am

if recesion really hits we can eat the horses... better then letting them die.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:53 am

It's not all that unusual in Dublin to see a horse grazing in a public park or field. The ISPCA have always had to deal with the problem of removing them. I guess the problem is escalating.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Equine Cases brought to the Dublin SPCA shelter
since January 2010:
http://www.dspca.ie/dspca/equinecrisis
والقس هو مجنون
Ter
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:54 pm

It's always been a problem but it is indeed escalating, my girlfriend had to get the ISCPA out to two horses a only a few months back.

The same is happening with dogs, thankfully some owners are responsibly enough so submit their dogs to the pound voluntarily (don't have the stats to hand). I live in an area that was always used to dump unwanted dogs and there would often be poor animals left on the side of the road, particularly late January early February, the christmas rush. That stopped during the (cough, cough) boom, but there been 4 dogs ditched I my area since the recession.

I share your concern eccles.