Shocking screen shot from Palin's website

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Shocking screen shot from Palin's website

Post by Beebub » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:09 am

This link shows a screen shot from Sarah Palin's website where she targeted 20 Democrats who voted for the Health reform bill in constiuencies where Republican's won the previous time. One of the targets was Gabrielle Giffords who was shot in the head at a rally yesterday. The reason its newsworthy is because she used rifle crosshairs as her targets on the map.

It has since been changed on her website.

The woman is genuinely scary. I hope this has serious reprocussions.

http://fromtheleft.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... rosshairs/
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Shocking screen shot from Palin's website

Post by Dev » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7046bo92a4#t=2m20s

The video is actually worth watching from start to finish but I have to the URL set to the skip to the relevant part.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Whether the killer had anything to do with the tea-baggers or not this has destroyed her career IMHO

The effect of this shooting on the US public is profound.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm no fan of Palin but I don't hold her in anyway responsible for this. This lies solely with the gunman in my book.

However that isn't to say what was on her website wasn't awfully silly and this incident will accentuate that against her. Hopefully this will bring an end to Palin's bullshit gun totting rhetoric.
JD12

Post by JD12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:30 am

Dev wrote: Hopefully this will bring an end to Palin's bullshit gun totting rhetoric.
Not a chance...

America is very divided, and each side is blinkered. She won't lose a bit of support from those who already support her.

Not surprisingly I suppose, the right wing have been mentioning that Jared Lee Loughner (the shooter) is an atheist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Bo ... 22689.html

John
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 am

JD12 wrote:America is very divided, and each side is blinkered. She won't lose a bit of support from those who already support her.
I've been corresponding with an elderly long distant relative in recent months who I just found out is a mad Tea Party man and a big fan of Palin. I sent him the above screen shot and asked him what he thought. Of course he said Palin had nothing to do with it but his defence of her was interesting. Firstly he said that she was the first to get in touch with Giffords family (so what?) Secondly and it would be funny if the whole thing wasn't so sad, he said that the gun the guy used was a Glock 9mm and therefore didn't have a rifle crosshair on the gun to aim, which I suppose is suggesting that the website couldn't have influenced him because his gun didn't have one of the cross hairs that appeared on her website. That will show you their level of delusion. This guy is well educated and well travelled.

He also dismissed the guy as a 'nutcase' a 'pot head' and not playing with a 'full deck'.

However it appears the guy passed an FBI background check before purchasing the weapon in November. If that's true it shows just how easy it is to officially acquire a gun over there.

He's in two minds about gun control and likens it to Nazi Germany. He really must also be a big Glen Beck fan! Although he does concede that he'd be happy to have to jump through hoops to get ammunition if they seriously restricted the purchse of them.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:25 pm

The most appalling thing of all is the way the liberal media is using this to attack Palin. It's quite pathetic.

There are a few facts being nice and conveniently underreported.

1) The shooter has zero links with the tea party movement
2) The shooter is an avid anti-semite and a member of an anti-semitic organisation
3) Giffords is Jewish
4) War-like rhetoric in relation to political campaigns is used on both sides of the political fence in the USA

I don't recall anyone getting upset in 2008 when Obama said this...
Obama wrote:If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun".
I'm no fan of Palin or the GOP, but this kind of political opportunism makes me want to puke.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
HylandPaddy

Post by HylandPaddy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:58 pm

I don't like Palin, but to suggest that that screenshot in any way helped to persuade the gunman is pretty low. I mean, I use words like "target" and "enemies" all the time under the ostensibly reasonable assumption that they are interpreted in a non-psychotic way.

And apparently Giffords supports the right to gun ownership.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 pm

I have to agree that the targets do not really "shock" me. The cross hair target is one that we use a hell of a lot in graphical design and media. I have seen it used in kids game shows, adult game shows, graphical maps, websites, books news papers and more merely as a symbol for targeting in on a specific thing.

The real miracle would be if the symbol was used in so many areas and you could not link ANY of them in some way to an actual shooting. It is one of those connections you simply must find eventually if a symbol is prevalent enough and to then suggest there is a connection would be opportunistic at best.

In fact it is dangerously close to religious like thinking. If you claim for example that god can heal the ill miraculously and you go out in the world... a world populated by humans who all heal at random speeds... you are going to find one with an unexplainable high rate of recovery. Does this prove there is a god? Clearly not.

Looking for a link and then finding one is often a dangerous way of thinking and it does not just lead to religion... but a host of errors. It is the reason why the authors included in the bible "Seek and you shall find".
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:02 pm

I have to agree with what others said. It is unfortunate that her people decided to use crosshairs, but to suggest anything more sinister than that is just pushing it a bit too far. She is a bit of an ejeit with strange beliefs, but that’s about it.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken