Videogames

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Videogames

Post by Mirthomaniac » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:43 pm

So I made a movies thread after searching for 'movies' and being quite convinced that there wasn't already a much bigger thread on that subject. I was wrong there. However, I'm quite sure that nobody has made a thread dedicated to the fledgeling artform of videogames.

Any gamers here, and if so, what do you play?
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Videogames

Post by Dev » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:53 pm

I thought I replied to this. Anyway.

Yeah I love games. Just finished Crysis 2 on my PC. Which is a great game. Brother has a Wii and 360 so sometimes I play those too. My favorites include Mario Kart and Bioshock.
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Mirthomaniac » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Dev wrote:I thought I replied to this. Anyway.

Yeah I love games. Just finished Crysis 2 on my PC. Which is a great game. Brother has a Wii and 360 so sometimes I play those too. My favorites include Mario Kart and Bioshock.
Fairly certain that my PC/Laptop wouldn't be able to run that...just a gut feeling I have :roll:

But yeah, I suppose I should have included my favourite games in the original post. This internet, it just kills your manners. Right, in no particular order of preference, I love:

- Earthbound (SNES)
- Chrono Trigger (SNES)
- Final Fantasy VIII and IX (PSX). Also like I, VI, VII and X. IX is my favourite and possibly my favourite game of recent times.
- Portal (PC)
- Tekken 1, 2, 3, 5...haven't played 6. 2 is the favourite.
- MGS series, MGS1 and 2 being the best IMO
- Advance Wars 2 (GBA)
- Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl. Mainly Melee.
- Worms Armageddon.
- Super Metroid
- earlier Pokémon games.

and the usual Marios and Metroids and whatnot aswell. IMO gaming will not be taken seriously as an art form until my generation replaces the 'disapproving parent' generation. Note that I am indeed aware that the average gamer is thirty. The problem is that gaming's marketing divisions aren't aware of that.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:24 pm

I'm mostly an RPGer.

Other non RPG games I liked are the Sid Meier Civilization series, as well as a few of the more imaginative Nintendo Gameboy addictions: Harvest Moon, Pokémon (hides in shame), Golden Sun.

I have also played games like Dragon Age & Assassin's Creed, but they are not my favourites.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ ... rn_221.jpg

My RPG addiction started with Richard Garriott's Ultima series (not the on-line game, the DOS based series). They were tremendous fun and set the benchmark for me as to what constitutes a good game.

Image.

I have since become a fan of Bethesda Softworks, my favourites being Fallout 3 and the Elder Scrolls series.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ ... Shot54.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ygern/two.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ygern/seben.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ ... onday3.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ygern/dec2.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ ... ot42-1.jpg

I would regard it as entirely acceptable to apply for leave from work so that I could spend a week gaming :)
Yes, it is an obsession. Thank you for asking.
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Mirthomaniac » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:28 pm

I totally forgot about Fallout 3. I loved that game. It pretty much restored my respect for modern gaming as a whole, to be frank. Or perhaps it was just the game I'd enjoyed most in a long while.

Fallout: New Vegas, however, belongs in the bargain bin.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Luckily we can't blame FNV on Bethesda. :)

Although FNV wasn't all bad. It just wasn't anywhere close to being as good as F3.
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Mirthomaniac » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Ygern wrote:Luckily we can't blame FNV on Bethesda. :)

Although FNV wasn't all bad. It just wasn't anywhere close to being as good as F3.
I played it all the way through, enjoying it for the most part.

But it was the laziest excuse for a 'sequel' I'd ever experienced.

I suppose I am a bit of an RPGer myself, by the way, as my 'list' shows. 8)
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Talk of DOS games reminds me of my own "classic era" - my first games were on the Amstrad CPC 464 in green-screen monochrome (I'm thinking Manic Miner, Electric Freddy and Sorcery). I then moved on to full colour with the Atari ST and games like the Bard's Tale.

I do have a fondness for Supermario 3 on the original NES, although the N64 version was mindblowing when 3D "platform" games first came out, as was Goldeneye and one of my all-time-favourites, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time...

And of course, Monkey Island on the PC! I still have the theme tune stuck in my head.

More recently I've been playing some of these games where you play against other gaming nerds on the internet, which all started for me with Aliens vs. Predator. What a game that was!

Right now I'm still trying to beat the Zero Mech on "Infinity Blade" for the iPhone...
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:14 am

Casual games for me all the way – click and find are a favourite, maybe also dash. No games that guys would be interested in, but then I’m not usually interested in guy games. Bad memories of my son explaining Final Fantasy 7 and why I should play it.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Mirthomaniac » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:51 am

mkaobrih wrote:Bad memories of my son explaining Final Fantasy 7 and why I should play it.
Final Fantasy VII is a good game indeed, but if you're a casual gamer it would be among the last things that I would recommend that you play.

My first console was a Super Nintendo. I would bet that RPGs on the SNES would be a better 'starter' than RPGs on the Playstation. If one ever did make the leap to PSX RPGs, Final Fantasy IX would be the pinnacle of the FF series on that console.
Dr Raskolnikov wrote: I do have a fondness for Supermario 3 on the original NES, although the N64 version was mindblowing when 3D "platform" games first came out, as was Goldeneye and one of my all-time-favourites, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time...
SMB3 is a masterpiece. SM64 was mindblowing. I was a PSX kid but I always remember going to my cousin's and playing Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros. and the like. OoT is great, but I didn't finish it. I did finish A Link to the Past, which is brilliant.

I sometimes find myself wondering how we ever considered mid 90's polygon graphics to be good. It makes me wonder if, in five years, the biggest PC-crunching FPS games will look like crap.

A thought: as graphic and sound capabilities increase, pretty soon in the future we will be able to produce entire films (never mind games yet) with ultra-realistic CG people. This will enable directors and visionaries to put whoever they want in a film. Famous Hollywood icon dead? No problem, just put them in the film anyway. Nobody will be able to tell the difference after a while. Prepare to see Arnie or Sly Stallone leaping about on screen many years after they die, with serious legal battles going on over the 'rights' to use a person's likeness without them even participating. Be prepared for Humphrey Bogart and other Golden Agers to make a return to movies, if there were a market for it. Even be prepared to hear critique of not just dialogue and cinematography, but also how well the CG Brad Pitt lives up to the 'real thing'.

I base this on the fact that, thirty years ago, it was fairly revolutionary to play a videogame in colour. Twenty years ago it was revolutionary to represent the human figure on a 16-bit machine. You get the idea.