Steve Jobs :(

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Steve Jobs :(

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Just taken back by Steve's death, I've had great admiration for him for many decades, even though I never owned any Apple products.

Death is very likely the single best invention of life
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-13-m ... f-death-12
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Steve Jobs :(

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:56 am

I have great difficulty mourning the death of someone I've never met at the best of times, but I refuse to refrain from smiling, having learned of the death of this tyrant.

Ding dong the witch is dead.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Would you feel the same for the guy that designed your fridge or washing machine?

I am totally indifferent about his dead.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm never been a particular Steve Jobs fan. I always preferred PC's to Macs, and have no interest in iPhones or iPads. I have owned an iPod in one form or another continuously for about four years now and iTunes is my favourite way to play music.

My positive, negative and apathetic opinions about Apple products don't change the fact that Jobs was pretty inspirational: intelligent, innovative and ambitious he changed the world. He loved what he did - why else would he continue working when he was clearly having more serious health issues than he let on?

So I understand why people are honouring him. I think if someone dies who inspired you, it's fitting to look at one of those slideshows about their life or quote them on the social network of your choice; I don't judge anyone for that.

I'm not sure why people who didn't know him are mourning him (and was quite disturbed when a tattoo-enthusiast friend of mine revealed on Facebook that her Tumblr is fraught with an onslaught of tattoos in memoriam), but this happens with all celebrity deaths, so it's not something specific to Jobs.

And, yes, Apple was not so different from other "evil" corporations. Their products are assembled in China where they pay workers bare minimum, despite a profit margin of over 50%. So maybe he should have put down his shiny toys for a minute and looked at using his platform to make a change in how these companies work.

Regardless, I think smiling upon the death of another human being is pretty low. I don't tend to wax poetic about the value of human life and death, but death doesn't put a smile on my face, either.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:48 pm

aiseiri47 wrote:
Regardless, I think smiling upon the death of another human being is pretty low. I don't tend to wax poetic about the value of human life and death, but death doesn't put a smile on my face, either.
The man was a deluded narcisist and a bully who treated his workforce and his family like shit and used child labour on his production lines.

You're right, it's low to smile at his death when I could be dancing on his grave.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:03 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:The man was a deluded narcisist and a bully who treated his workforce and his family like shit and used child labour on his production lines.

You're right, it's low to smile at his death when I could be dancing on his grave.
:| Hmm. Any sources for any of that? I don't quite get the adoration but this glee at his death seems even harder to fathom. I mean, I'm a PC man myself, but still...
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:08 pm

Steve Jobs was another victim of superstition, this time in the form of medical quackery. :x The woosters managed to sell him a quack diet instead of life-saving surgery, which is likely to have significantly reduced his survival chances.

This article on the Skeptoid Blog describes how Jobs was diagnosed with a rare, treatable-by-surgery form of pancreatic cancer, but instead of having the surgery, he opted for alternative therapy in the form of a quack diet for nine months.

It reminds me of Frankie Boyle's quip: "Bob Marley famously attempted to treat his cancer with homeopathy. If you don't want to see how that turned out, look away now..."
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Not very PC !!! of you...Bip
bipedalhumanoid wrote:The man was a deluded narcisist and a bully who treated his workforce and his family like shit and used child labour on his production lines.

Well I suppose anyone who is devoted to their pursuit in life could be classed as a naricissist (just to be fastidious bip: 3s's :roll: 3s's), his 50+ black Turtleneck-shirts reminds me of that TV-character Monk. He was a perfectionist and didn't accept less than 100%.

He aka Apple did contract out to Foxconn who also make motherboards for Dell and others, Foxconn is building the world's first fully robotic production line in China, and training their employees into higher grade positions.

I'm also a PC, for me it's Steve Jobs/Woz's historic effect on the developement & advancement of computers/technology, they're silicon legends. Even if Apple were broke it wouldn't change that.

To dance on the grave you'll have to find it, maybe ask this group:
THANK GOD! Steve Jobs is dead! Westboro
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:05 am

aZerogodist wrote:Well I suppose anyone who is devoted to their pursuit in life could be classed as a naricissist
No, anyone whose sense of entitlement and empathy hasn't matured beyond what can be reasonably expected from a 5 year old is a narcissist. In extreme cases it can be described as a personality disorder (NPD), a god complex or even sociopathy. These are not virtues.
aZerogodist wrote: (just to be fastidious bip: 3s's :roll: 3s's)
Ok, but what do the 3 S letters own? :roll: Why the apostrophe?
aZerogodist wrote: , his 50+ black Turtleneck-shirts reminds me of that TV-character Monk. He was a perfectionist and didn't accept less than 100%.
It's always interesting to see how people try to justify bullying. Usually the next step is to blame the victims. Bullying destroys lives. There is NO excuse. Anyway, 100% my arse. You don't get 100% out of people who work 90 hours/week. Actively seeking to turn sections of your staff against each other also doesn't achieve anything particularly productive. He viewed his staff as his minions and himself as their messiah. He manipulated them like pawns on a chessboard for his personal enjoyment.

Read some of these stories about the impact that bullying in the workplace has on people and then come back and tell me again that it's ok because Jobs was a "perfectionist".
aZerogodist wrote: He aka Apple did contract out to Foxconn who also make motherboards for Dell and others, Foxconn is building the world's first fully robotic production line in China, and training their employees into higher grade positions.
How nice of them. They also use child labour.
aZerogodist wrote: I'm also a PC, for me it's Steve Jobs/Woz's historic effect on the developement & advancement of computers/technology, they're silicon legends. Even if Apple were broke it wouldn't change that.
It's a fairly typical scenario in IT. A technical person or team conceptualises, designs and develops something innovative. Someone else comes along and steals it or otherwise takes credit for it.

IMO this is what lead to the .com bubble. Developers who were tired of seeing this happen, started forming companies without bringing on board people with business expertise. It didn't work out well, but as someone who took the other route, I can fully understand why they did it.
aZerogodist wrote: To dance on the grave you'll have to find it, maybe ask this group:
THANK GOD! Steve Jobs is dead! Westboro
Guilt by association now? :roll:

Anyone who thinks it's appropriate to worship this man should watch the movie "The Pirates of Silicon Valley". Steve Wozniac has confirmed that the movie is an accurate depiction of events.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:47 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
aZerogodist wrote: (just to be fastidious bip: 3s's :roll: 3s's)
Ok, but what do the 3 S letters own? :roll: Why the apostrophe?
GRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Hiss Hiss *swipe* :mrgreen:
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders