Corrupt charities

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Corrupt charities

Post by paolovf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Corrupt charities

Post by Dev » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:41 pm

The same has happened to PAWS. It used to be a charity at one point, my mate worked for them. They used to go in to pubs and stuff selling fluffy toy animals then one day one of the bouncers said that their charity number wasn't vindicated. He told the bouncer he must have made a mistake, then he looked it up himself.

He was humiliated especially considering he was walking around with a laminated sheet of paper with bogus charity registration details they gave him. Apparently they are now a "business that donates to charity". He felt it very dishonest of them and he left.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Dev wrote:The same has happened to PAWS.
A friend of mine who sent on the Rehab link mentioned PAWS. I've heard of embezzlement within another very well known charity but it hasn't been publicised or investigated.

It's such a disgusting thing to do. Really makes my blood boil and puts me off donating to charity.
robreynolds2

Post by robreynolds2 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 pm

One of the big reasons I don't contribute directly is that you really don't know how your money is being spent. For example cancer research is one example where I like to contribute but even with the legitimate charities, how much of the money go to the actual research instead of things like advertising etc.

I came across http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org some years ago and this has suited me personally. I run all my computers 24x7 and they crunch data for cancer research (among other projects). I really only need the computing power of a tablet computer but I buy multi core computers instead and leave them running constantly. This was I know 100% of my contribution goes to the people who need it and I am part of the effort. I upgrade to the latest and greatest every two years or so and of course pay the extra electricity (which comes to about €700 per year for the extra electricity alone).

Also it means I do have a kick-ass computer if I ever need it for my own stuff too (which to be honest is very very rarely).
Morality is herd instinct in the individual - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.cabinbee.com