Padraig Nally

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Padraig Nally

Post by Beebub » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 pm

chemicals wrote:Ward lived miles away so i doubt that scene could ever happen - however if he did -it would be more proof that he was not in his right mind surely ? it not a case of drawing the line -the question is-was the man acting rationally or not at the time - I'm fairly sure he was terrified out of his wits and his behavior in the preceding days -hiding in the shed with the shot gun etc are not the acts of a fully rational man .
This is where my confusion on the issue arises. Your first response was 'Fuck him', not that it's possible that Nally was temporarily not of sound mind.

The first reaction of most I have come accross has been similar to yours, then followed usually by 'it was self defence' and he was justified because he Ward would likely have gone off and returned with a posse, so he had no choice. Then when discussed in more detail the issue of his irrational fear has arisen.

So was his defence that it was 'self defence' or was it that he was not of sound mind or a mixture of both.

If he was found not to be of sound mind, how is it that he was just let go; surely some sort of mental health assitance would be in order? Or was it just that the jury accepted he acted in self defence?
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:55 pm

chemicals wrote:You know full well i'm not saying that - i was replying to something raised by beebub :roll:
I'm sure that in general you don't believe shotgun-wielding madmen who kill people should go free, but you seem to believe that this particular shotgun-wielding madman who killed someone should.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 pm

firstly yes fuck Ward and anyone else like him -be they settled, traveler, black, white, yellow , green , straight, bi,gay, transgender or whatever ,the guy was a professional dangerous violent convicted criminal and -his sins-so to speak finally caught up with him .

as for Nally

he had a right to defend his home from violent criminals -so he had a right to fire the first shot ,
the second shot seems to be where we all get muddled.

presumably he felt he had to finish off Ward or he would most likely return and do all sorts of painful/lethal things to Nally . most rational people might pause at that stage and realize that perhaps it was time to call the police -who might take 25 minutes to respond -apparently. but a terrified man who had previously exhibited irrational and paranoid behavior might just fire a second shot out of fear and not be fully aware of the consequences at the time .

I expect this is what the jury in the second trial felt. as his solicitor put it
“Did he suddenly, after 60 years, become a murderer?”
والقس هو مجنون
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 pm

funkyderek wrote: shotgun-wielding madmen who kill people should go free,
-nice bit of hyperbole there by the way Derek

In law Mad men are not accountable for their actions-they been mad and all :? so its down to should he be let free -yes if he is not considered a treat to society and not at risk to do it again ,and of course he no longer has a shot gun to "wield" .
والقس هو مجنون
funkyderek

Post by funkyderek » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:13 pm

chemicals wrote:nice bit of hyperbole there by the way Derek
Thanks. I do try! :twisted:
In law Mad men are not accountable for their actions-they been mad and all :? so its down to should he be let free -yes if he is not considered a treat to society and not at risk to do it again ,and of course he no longer has a shot gun to "wield" .
The defense did not attempt to plead insanity, and in any case, insanity has a very strict definition in law, which Nally probably did not meet. Your argument seems to be that someone who kills someone because they weren't thinking clearly, and probably won't kill anyone again, should get off scot-free. I think that's a rather dangerous precedent.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image