That Poor Whale

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
eoinyk1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

That Poor Whale

Post by eoinyk1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:53 am

paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: That Poor Whale

Post by paolovf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:05 am

That is a very distressing story
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am

I understand why they don't want to make any attempts to move it, but surely the alternative is not the let it suffer the prolonged pain and torment of leaving it to "die naturally". We wouldn't let a dog or a cat suffer like that.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:49 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:I understand why they don't want to make any attempts to move it, but surely the alternative is not the let it suffer the prolonged pain and torment of leaving it to "die naturally". We wouldn't let a dog or a cat suffer like that.
I don't know much about euthanising 50ft whales but this 30ft whale was put down with explosives. I read a few articles and it seems that smaller whales can be shot, however, when this is not effective with larger whales.

Maybe the situation in Cork is too dangerous to safely lay down adequate charges to euthanise the whale relatively painlessly.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Well it's dead now.

http://www.thejournal.ie/baltimore-whal ... =from_page
The NPWS had decided not to take action to euthanase the animal and allow it to die naturally but the IWDG had taken steps this morning to try and find a more humane solution.

It had been in talks with the Defence Forces about shooting it to ‘put it out of its misery’ sooner.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:58 pm

"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Apparently they plan on shooting them in future

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/shoo ... 63214.html
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:07 am

If the Army hasn't got a gun powerful enough to shoot a big animal, they could borrow something from the Japanese Embassy.