Turn Off the Red Light Campaign

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Turn Off the Red Light Campaign

Post by paolovf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:50 pm

A billboard campaign has been launch to promote the Turn Off the Red Light Campaign. From their website: "Turn Off The Red Light is a campaign to end prostitution in Ireland now, and to end sex trafficking to Ireland. We are campaigning to criminalise the purchase of sex". They are supported by 50 organisations.

Breaking News and RTÉ News reports from today mention the billboard campaign but do not mention their opposition - Turn off the Blue Light who have a very different opinion on how to tackle the problems associated with Prostitution and Human Trafficking.

Any opinions on the matter? Personally I don't think The Red Light gang are taking the correct approach.
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Turn Off the Red Light Campaign

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:10 pm

Australia has had legal brothels for many years now. It started in Victoria in 1984. In Queensland it started approximately 10 years ago.

I had assumed that legalisation was the answer, but even when you legalise some forms of prostitution, there will always be an underground market for other illegal forms (child prostitution, that involving violence etc and on-street procurement). Furthermore, the fact that it is legal has lead to a much greater demand for sex services and therefore sex workers. This demand isn't being met by Australian women and has actually lead to an increase in human trafficking.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-a ... 1lkzi.html

There may be valid reasons to legalise prostitution, but the resolution of the human trafficking problem is not one of them.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:21 pm

You've made some very good points.

From that article, I like the approach that Sweden is taking in terms of education:
Since 1999, the number of Swedish men buying women has dropped from 12.7 to 7.6 per cent.
The Swedish government runs public education campaigns against prostitution on the basis that it is a cause of trafficking and a form of violence against women.
7.6% of men paying for sex still seems high; 1 in 13 men. I don't know what the figures are here in Ireland but I'd hope it's lower.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Tough topic to have a black or white view on.
If an individual male or female decides to do so of their own choice, without any drug addiction or being forced to do so, like pro-choice I do not have the right to tell them what they can or cannot do with their body.

There's no other word for explotation and human trafficing, other than slavery, I assume the sex industry (if it's an industry) is one of the biggist factors in Human slavery but not the only one, which a campaign like this does not address.

Forced marraige for passports & ethnic groups working in sweat shops happens in Ireland. People promised a job and new life in Ireland, not able to speak English, passports taken off them, afraid to contact the police, not even knowing if there is any kind of support.

On this topic, when I went to primary school over 30 years ago, a postitute lived near to the school, her child was in the school, we all knew and no one had any problems with it.

What I aslo don't get is how do you 'criminalise' something that's already illegal or ban it if it's already underground ??

Also ''a form of volence against women'' what about the male postitutes, don't they count and it's only recently rape within marriage has been made a crime, before divorce in Ireland marriage in some cases was a chain of volence against women.

Apologise for slight rant, when I hear something like this I have to ask, is there an agenda, which uses facts to support one part of the whole story, without even considering; if strict legalisation would curb human trafficing, or like whats wrong with Irish customs, how can girls from Thailand or other, be flown into Dublin Airport, met and then flown straight over to England. Is the campaign even offering/seeking a large reward for information on these groups envoled in Human slavery.

I believe I might know someone who couldn't get a job, the dole was to little to live comfortbly, tired of one night stands, she worked for a while as an ''esscort'', when she got enough money together, she started her own buissness (not prostitution). I couldn't say she was the cause of human-trafficing, and I can't see how this campaign will do anything to stop or address human slavery, maybe if anything just move it elsewhere.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:30 am

Holland tackled the problem of human trafficking by legalising the brothels. This means they are inspected for health and safety and pay tax etc. etc. This stopped illegal woman being forced into prostitution in Holland all workers need a social security number.

However it can be also be the case that the problem just moved to other (neighbouring countries) as they did not legalise brothels and it is just easier the force woman into prostitution there.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Tulip1 wrote:Holland tackled the problem of human trafficking by legalising the brothels. This means they are inspected for health and safety and pay tax etc. etc. This stopped illegal woman being forced into prostitution in Holland all workers need a social security number.

However it can be also be the case that the problem just moved to other (neighbouring countries) as they did not legalise brothels and it is just easier the force woman into prostitution there.
Do you know of any stats compiled that show human trafficking was decreased in Holland? Like I said in my previous post, Australia took exactly the same approach and it not only failed, but had the reverse effect.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:33 pm

I know this is a serious issue but I couldn't resist re-telling a story from Oz. I worked for an accountant while there for a year. He met with a prostitute who wanted to make her tax return. He told her he'd need full details of work in order to make a return for her. She returned with a diary and started to reel off intricate details of her work to him. Did this to that bloke in his car; charge him X. Did such and such in a hotel with this fella and charged him Y. He hastily stopped her and saying that he didn't need to know exatly what she did and where, just details of income and expenditure...
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:17 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:
Tulip1 wrote:Holland tackled the problem of human trafficking by legalising the brothels. This means they are inspected for health and safety and pay tax etc. etc. This stopped illegal woman being forced into prostitution in Holland all workers need a social security number.

Do you know of any stats compiled that show human trafficking was decreased in Holland? Like I said in my previous post, Australia took exactly the same approach and it not only failed, but had the reverse effect.
Sorry was not in internet land for a while. As you cannot have a legal business in Holland without all employees having a social security number and the brothels get checked as much as the greenhouses (another hotspot for illegal workers) it should be easy to get stats. I will have a browse.

But unlike Australia Holland is small and in neighbouring countries it is much easier to have an illegal brothel etc. That is why I suspect that the problem might have been moved instead of solved. I also suspect for that reason that the stats will show a huge success while we should maybe look if the problem has risen in neighbouring countries.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:24 am

When I read this I didn't read up on the links.
Ruhama -
It is no surprise to us that Ruhama are attacking us. Ruhama is a religious organisation, the founders and trustees of which are the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity and the Good Shepherd Sisters, two religious orders who have a very long history of causing harm to sex workers whilst outwardly claiming to be helping them. Of course sex workers speaking up for themselves upsets Ruhama.
http://www.turnoffthebluelight.ie/2011/ ... -bullying/

I am surprised by some of the 50 groups and wonder do they fully support a campaign with the 'sisters of mercy or whatever' (one of them came to my door when I lived in Inchacore, what an evil vindictive person). I mean are oneinfour really in bed with this campaign? Or the ?? Feminist groups, most of the list is the who's who religious involved organisations, 'Macra na Feirme' 'girl-guides' the only missing names are core's anti-abortion group.

The Labour party !, arn't they err... teh government, and don't they stand to protect human rights & freedom, this is the problem; mixing basic human rights up with a repressive morality issue and equating as the same = bad. I would've assumed The Labour party would be more pro-legal-prostitution & 100% aganist slavery.

After thought: no matter what job you do, you've selling the use of your body/skills for money, if you like your job, great it's rewarding, but if you hate your job, then isn't it like being a slave to the job, degrading.

What I can't understand is how someone can treat another person like a piece of meat, if in some counties there are legal brothels, then why the need for these illegal ones, are they cheaper, underage, 'black-market' or basically just a criminal opperation.

Basically I just don't think this ToTRL is as much concerned with human-trafficing but more 1960's 'sex is wrong' ie. trying to quote Daryl Ray ''religious groups creating a sex repressive-negative environment'' and well knowing it isn't going to end prostitution, creates guilt to which you'll need forgiveness.