Flat screen TV

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
Haymoon

Flat screen TV

Post by Haymoon » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:49 pm

I'm thinking of buying a new flat screen TV soon but am a little confused. This seems to be a whole new area of technology. :?

There's plasma LCD, HDTV, EDTV, resolution, contrast. size, brand, and of course price all to take into consideration.:roll:

Can anybody boil it all down to a few alternatives and also perhaps where to buy (in Dublin) :?:
It is the obligation of the intelligent to oppress the stupid, otherwise they will take over the world.

Albert Camus
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:14 am

TV worshipper *spits*
blackspeare

Post by blackspeare » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:45 pm

I'll be looking for one myself soon, the screen on mine has started going all wobbly like it's about to go into a flashback / dream sequence. Also, the sound from BBC 1 keeps leaking through no matter whihc channel you're watching.

Anyhow, all I can recommend is that you buy a known quality brand-name (Sony, Phillips etc...) and, that you do some reseach on the web. Try seaching for word combinations such as TV, "best buy", "editors choice"...there's lots of useful stuff out there.

Also, beware HDTV, particularly those that claim to have "HD Sound". There's no agreed High Definition Sound standard, so, lots of manufacturers are creating their own versions that may not work in the long term.

Personally, I'd avoid HD for about another year. There's very few programmes available in HD at present and the technology is still expensive. An alternative might be to buy a second hand TV and wait for a year, then invest in something of good quality.

Blackspeare
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:04 pm

I'd say make sure it's HiDef, because, within a few years, DVD will become obsolete, and either HD-DVD or BluRay will be commonplace.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:29 pm

just baught a 40 inch sony bravia for the Ruger world cup. Decent enough quality except for rte gaa matches. The hd goes up in stages, I got the lowest because I can't see their being a major difference between the different ranges. If you have a pc you can see the the differences by using the resulotions on your pc with some good quality pictures. HD isn't the normal at the momment and won't be for a few years. The only difference will be on dvd's etc.

You can always wait for prices to drop on the better units but you always going to be waiting for the next best to drop more.

Rincewind
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:41 pm

Fair enough mate, only offering advice. I think it's a little naive to say "only" DVDs, though!
Haymoon

Flat screen TV

Post by Haymoon » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:23 pm

Thanks for all the contributions. I have done a bit of browsing for reviews etc and know a bit more know. One thing though that puzzles me. In the 16:9 format that flat screen TV delivers my distinct impression is that the image is distorted with bodies having unnaturally wide shoulders and foreshortened legs.

Is this just because some TV stations are still broadcasting in the older format or is this to be a permanent feature of the new breed of TV :?:
It is the obligation of the intelligent to oppress the stupid, otherwise they will take over the world.

Albert Camus
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Flat screen TV

Post by CatHerder » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:50 pm

Haymoon wrote:One thing though that puzzles me. In the 16:9 format that flat screen TV delivers my distinct impression is that the image is distorted with bodies having unnaturally wide shoulders and foreshortened legs.
Someone told me once that you get used to it. I was wondering why you'd want to. :?
Max

Post by Max » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:38 am

just got an hitachi 1080p 42" plasma. Great for PC gaming(1980x1080 res).

For a good set don't pay more than 2500 euro for a 42" 1080p (plasma) or 1200 euro 1080p (LCD). Top draw 42" sets can be 4000 euro for plasma and 2000 LCD

Plasmas considered better than LCD because you get higher contrast ratio (Black is black and not dark gray). Also plasma screens respond quicker than LCD giving plasmas a smoother crisper image.

Make sure your choice has a 1080p display. And not just a 1080p input.

Ask 'this set is 1080p screen and not just a 1080p input?'. Cos if you don't you might end up paying over the odds for a piece of rubbish, that will look bad. And look very, very bad with hi res media (PC, Playstation, Blueray, Mac).

Its much better to place a flat screen on a TV stand so it can swivel. This is especially true of LCD because their viewing angle is restricted. TV stands also give you shelves for dvd players, sat boxes, consoles and dvds.

Above the fireplace might seem like a nice space saving idea, but you'll be looking up at the set from an angle. Best viewing for a 42" display is with the center of the display level with your eyes when viewed from your seating position, which by the way, should be around 8 feet away.

A calibration dvd will make things easy when adjusting picture controls to suit your home lighting conditions.
born under the malignant influence of change
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:29 am

lostexpectation wrote:TV worshipper *spits*
Do I spy a fellow non-TV owner? :D

On the subject of distorted image, play around with the screen's settings (there's usually a button on the remote for this) that will adjust your picture to the format being broadcast. Some programs just weren't filmed with wide-screen in mind, so there is nothing that the broadcaster can do about the image.

Its a bit of a pain having to re-adjust for a certain program, but it can be done with a touch of a button (just like volume) so its not that big a deal.