Do Irish Spiders Bite

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Do Irish Spiders Bite

Post by CatHerder » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:45 pm

One of the guys at work brought one of the biggest spiders I've seen in Ireland into the workshop. He had found it outside and wanted to see peoples reactions or who'd be scared of it.

I don't particularly like spiders but wouldn't kill one, unlike my ex girlfriend who would stamp on them.

I noticed that Derek was carrying the insect on a rag and didn't seem particularly comfortable with it himself. I took the spider in my hand and asked Derek "what's wrong, will you not pick it up with your hand" at which point Derek was telling me to get it away from him.

It struck me later that I wouldn't have dared pick up a spider while I was living in the U.S. They had common household spiders in America that would bite.

So, do Irish spiders bite and is it a bad idea to pick one up?
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:08 pm

All spider’s can bite. Ones in milder climates are not so vicious. The hairier one can also shoot little spikes of their hair upwards when they are scared and if it got into someone’s eyes it could be serious.
My brother once had a pet tarantula. Are you sure it was an indigenous spider?
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:50 pm

I used to live is an extremely old house in the country. Some of the spiders living in the walls (used to be a castle) were pretty big compared to the standard household types. Used to have to hover the walls every two weeks.

Thinking back now I wonder if the building may have sprouted it's own eco system.

Rincewind
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:44 am

There is no correlation between size and venom toxicity. In Australia there are large spiders that are harmless (like the Huntsman for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hunt ... e_bg03.jpg) and small spiders that are deadly (like the redback spider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Redb ... l_view.jpg).

There are also small harmless spiders (tho I can't name one cos they're not very interesting) and large deadly spiders (Funnel Web spider).
paulamcnc

Post by paulamcnc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:21 pm

A spider so small I didn't notice it crawling up my leg to my knee, gave me a nasty little bite, and within a week I was in emergency with a serious infection of the fluid around my kneecap. It may not have been poisonous,but it sure was sore. And icky.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:01 am

paulamcnc wrote:A spider so small I didn't notice it crawling up my leg to my knee, gave me a nasty little bite, and within a week I was in emergency with a serious infection of the fluid around my kneecap. It may not have been poisonous,but it sure was sore. And icky.
what type of spider was it? where was this?
paulamcnc

Post by paulamcnc » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:03 pm

I don't know anything about spiders, so I can't tell you what type it was but it was about the size of the blunt end of a biro, and not black but kind of light green. Little bugger disappeared into a crack in the floorboard, which was in Co. Wicklow!

Like Catherder I wouldn't kill a spider myself, however I do believe the world would be a better place without them. Stuff ecosystems. The same applies to rats and mice, although I only use humane traps, I still think the world (i.e.my world) would be a better place without them!

So there.
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:49 pm

I'm quite tired, but I originally read the title to this thread as "Do Irish speakers bite?" Made me chuckle. :P

Anyway, carry on...
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:23 pm

paulamcnc wrote:I don't know anything about spiders, so I can't tell you what type it was but it was about the size of the blunt end of a biro, and not black but kind of light green. Little bugger disappeared into a crack in the floorboard, which was in Co. Wicklow!

Like Catherder I wouldn't kill a spider myself, however I do believe the world would be a better place without them. Stuff ecosystems. The same applies to rats and mice, although I only use humane traps, I still think the world (i.e.my world) would be a better place without them!

So there.
Do you prefer flying insects to spiders? I'd prefer the spiders, they sit in the corner and mind their own business most of the time. Meanwhile the reduce the numbers of flies, wasps, bees and many other winged beasts.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:44 pm

I hate wasps more than born agains :twisted: