Real pictures in avatars

Stuff not related to religion or atheism.
iclaudipuss

Post by iclaudipuss » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:59 pm

Don't have a digital camera or a scanner - I'm just so last century...
Yazar

Post by Yazar » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Good question!

I generally don't use my picture as my avatar on forums. But then I link to my blog which has my picture on it in my signature.

I think in a way I want to preserve a certain amount of anonymity while posting but if anyone's interested enough to click on my blog they get rewarded by seeing my wonderful visage :lol:

Cathy
dj357

Post by dj357 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:39 pm

if you google my name, I come up number one, so I generally leave my avatar's as something that I like or looks cool. like my RD.net one is a pic of a volcanic explosion in chile a good few months ago causing severe electrical storms, my av here is an homage to Dopefish from the old Commander Keen games that can be found as an easter egg in the game Max Payne. on the thinkingaloud.com forum (OT offshoot from RD.net) I have a pic of me playing a gig with my band in germany in august.
"In meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!"
I'm An Atheist...
Midwest Humanists!! - http://midwesthumanists.wordpress.com
TomBarry

Post by TomBarry » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:57 pm

I've just updated my profile to include a picture of me and Doyle Brunson, who I met at the Irish open last March. Unless your're a poker nut, you've probably never heard of him!

http://www.doylebrunson.com/
"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw
FXR

Post by FXR » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:47 pm

TomBarry wrote:I've just updated my profile to include a picture of me and Doyle Brunson, who I met at the Irish open last March. Unless your're a poker nut, you've probably never heard of him!

http://www.doylebrunson.com/

Isn't it gas that when you met him you were wearing a cowboy hat and he was wearing an Irland shirt. :lol:
This photo of me was taken just after I'd been rejected by the local basketball team. They said the registrations had closed just two minutes before I got there. I'll try again next year......

Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
CelticAtheist

Re: Real pictures in avatars

Post by CelticAtheist » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:12 pm

CatHerder wrote:Very few of us post a real picture on our avatars.

Is this because we don't want to reveal our true identities, for fear of being exposed as atheist.

Is it because you are so good looking that it will attract unnecessary attention?

Is it just a general "safety on the net" issue?

Cant find a picture that doesn't make you look like a convict?

Stole the idea for this post from this thread
http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7636#7636
Safety on the net issue and wish to avoid devaluation of my opinions due to cultural perceptions.
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:36 am

CelticAtheist wrote:
Safety on the net issue and wish to avoid devaluation of my opinions due to cultural perceptions.
I'm a fookin' dwarf who grew up in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank, whats your problem?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 am

FXR wrote:who grew up in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank, whats your problem?
Sheez, stop showing off, would ya?

Mind you, CA... cultural perceptions? You're going to have to do better than that!
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:07 am

Ygern wrote:
Mind you, CA... cultural perceptions? You're going to have to do better than that!
Cultural perceptions...that sounds like " I lived my early childhood in a forty five gallon drum that was used as a public toliet having initally survived Mother Teresas "kindness" (sic).....and now I live in a corporation Turban which was left over when the Gardai banned them for new members....
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:57 am

Noticed a few members have put real pictures of themselves on their full profiles. Click some of the full profile links when reading posts.