Atheism dissertation

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Seb

Post by Seb » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:12 pm

I don't think I'm making presumptions.. Just running possibilities by you all. After all, I'm still in the research stage.

The forum here has really helped me out, and has clarified my focus, and has sharpened the reality of what's going on in our country.

I've been mostly going on my own experience here and that's very likely to be skewed by my own upbringing and my own experiences of atheism. But I have to say that's changed quite a bit, and I do feel that I am definitely becoming more and more informed as I speak to you all.

I had wondered about parallels between strongly held atheism and strongly held religious beliefs, but I have to admit that that now seems to be wishful thinking for the makings of an interesting piece on my part. For that I apologise.

Good old Voltaire's so useful for these quotes is he not inedifix?

“Now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies.”
-Voltaire on his deathbed when asked by a priest if he renounced Satan

Atheists may not have experienced a journey from belief to non-belief and no doubt for many it's simply common sense kicking in. However, it is a journey for a country, and hopefully that journey and the future of it is something worth writing about.

Of all the people here, how many of you can claim that atheism was a natural progression, and how many think that it was a fight against what they had always been thought was natural?

Is religion going to become like superstition. Banshees disappeared with rural electrification. Will religion disappear with global education?

Also, lostexpectation, yet again, I was merely quoting a phrase Richard Dawkins used in a lecture. I have still not figured out if it was truth or parody. However, you're nicely conforming to the idea.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:18 pm

Seb wrote:
Is religion going to become like superstition. Banshees disappeared with rural electrification. Will religion disappear with global education?

Also, lostexpectation, yet again, I was merely quoting a phrase Richard Dawkins used in a lecture. I have still not figured out if it was truth or parody. However, you're nicely conforming to the idea.
what do you mean by that?

you apologised for looking for false controversy a couple of paragraphs above but it seems like that apology was insincere and you haven't changed your misapprehension of assertive atheism.
test
celticchimp

Check this

Post by celticchimp » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:23 am

Hi Seb,

Couple of site for you to take a look at.

This is a good example of what some poeple would term 'militant athesim'
http://barefootbum.blogspot.com

This is an english rectors site Reverend Sam Norton. I and others have been arguing atheism with him there

http://elizaphanian.blogspot.com/

All the best
kitsune9

Post by kitsune9 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi Seb.
I also have very weakly religious parents. if closely questioned my mother turns out to be pretty close to pantheism, my father to atheism, but they both consider themselves as non-practising catholics. My grandfather was an outspoken atheist, so it was always an option for me. i flirted with catholicism for some years, even becoming a lay minister, reading at masses (which i continued to do for some time after deciding i was definitely an atheist, as a sort of flip off to god). This all happened shortly after reading 'origin of species'.
for me there was a definite element of choice involved, as i suspect is true of many atheists who claim otherwise. In fact it seems to me slightly obtuse to insist that atheism is a default in as much as the whole concept of a default human is untenable. There is no such thing. a myriad of choices leads to evety persons stance on such issues. For example one of the reasons that atheism was attractive to me when i was still young was it's iconoclastic kudos. If i had been born in a culture of atheists, that attraction would have been absent and i may have made different choices.
Atheism might not involve a deliberate choice to disbelive, but it follows from choices and identifications which you make during your life.
hope that's coherent enough to be useful.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:42 am

When is this project expected to be finished. I would like to read over it when done. See how it turned out.
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Seb wrote:
Of all the people here, how many of you can claim that atheism was a natural progression, and how many think that it was a fight against what they had always been thought was natural?
By 7 or 8 I'd already come to the conclusion there was no logical reason, based on observation, that religionism or rather Catholicism (I didn't even know there were other religions) was bollocks! If the god thing was so powerful it failed every test I set it.

There was no peer pressure, no one else of my age discussed it or asked about it nor did I tell anybody at the time. By about 10 yrs of age one Sunday alone (not with a bunch of mates) I walked down to the Church for Mass got to the steps and stopped. I turned around and never went to Mass again. I used to walk around for 45 minutes and then go home. I had already prior to that tested the waters by going to communion without confession. I'd also held a host in the roof of my mouth and in the park spat it out. I was daring the god thing to do something which I didn't think an imaginary yoke could and of course I was right. I’d already eschewed the whole idea of sin as something imposed on one’s mind from the outside.

By fourteen with a naturally arising little group in my class we had over a period of three years arguing with our religion class De La Salle Christian brother given him a nervous breakdown. A handful of pre teens had figured out logically how to undermine the dogma and at the same time crack the mental foundations of one young committed Catholics belief system. I don’t know if he eventually committed suicide but I never heard of him returning to the school.

The one over riding quality of the CCL that I’d noted time and time again, even at that age, was its monumental hypocrisy and the fact it was anti-human. Everything since in the intervening decades has just confirmed that view. In fact I firmly believe that the CCL is the most anti-human organisation in the history of mankind and that all religion is the business of denigrating humans as second class inventions in some imaginary yokes playground.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:01 pm

the only time i ever prayed purposefully was when i was about 11 and i swallowed a piece of lego, it was on a tiny flat one peg piece but gods know what it might have done to my insides.
test
skepticgriggsy

Re: Atheism dissertation

Post by skepticgriggsy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Off-line, I keep mum about religion and atheism. On-line, I am anti-theistic, spreading the evangel of rationalism and naturalism world wide on may sites in different languages.
I have developed the atelic argument and the argument from paredolia.
Not only under skeptic griggsy but also under rationalist griggsy, griggs1947, sceptique grigggsy and esceptico griggsy.
Good will and blessings to all!
Attachments
100 by 125.jpg
100 by 125.jpg (5.62 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
100 by 125.jpg
100 by 125.jpg (5.62 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
50 by 50.jpg
50 by 50.jpg (1.79 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Mr. Mercurial

Re: Atheism dissertation

Post by Mr. Mercurial » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 pm

My atheism is more or less a direct result of taking a module on “philosophy of religion” in UCC about three years ago. It’s really all a lot of nonsense when you stop and think about it.