U2 tax songs

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
FXR

U2 tax songs

Post by FXR » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:39 am

http://www.debtireland.org/

As U2 prepare to launch their new album, this week Irish global justice campaigners will be challenging the band to put their money where their mouth is and support global tax justice. Campaigners highlighted the millions of euro denied to impoverished governments through tax avoidance and evasion by multi-national companies shifting their profits to avoid tax.

Nessa Ní Chasaide of Debt and Development Coalition Ireland said, "Bono may campaign for a better deal for the world's poor – but his band are taking advantage of the same tax avoidance schemes that rob impoverished countries of billions. At least $160 billion drains out of impoverished countries each year because of multinational companies shifting their profits to avoid tax. We need international action to ensure that everyone pays and pays their fair share.”

In 2006 U2 moved one of their companies from Ireland to the Netherlands to minimise their tax bill. This is depriving the Irish government of revenue that we need to pay for social services and development aid to impoverished countries.

Andy Storey from Afri added, "Tax is a fundamental question of global justice. Lost taxes in impoverished countries far outweigh what they receive from rich countries in aid. There are trillions of dollars stashed in tax havens. If that money was taxed in the countries where it was earned, governments would have their own resources to improve the lives of their people."
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

Re: U2 tax songs

Post by FXR » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:53 am

Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:21 pm

U2 live are an amazing experience – I’ve been moved to tears during their concerts – it just is so disappointing that Bono happens to be an asshole.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:18 pm

they had this text your support for debt relief running on big screens behind them while playing in croke park, the business running that then used the numbers to spam people.
test
kitsune9

Post by kitsune9 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:27 pm

mkaobrih wrote:U2 live are an amazing experience – I’ve been moved to tears during their concerts – it just is so disappointing that Bono happens to be an asshole.
Though everyone is entitled to an opinion i just have to disagree. That's all. No venom.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:11 pm

kitsune9 wrote:Though everyone is entitled to an opinion i just have to disagree. That's all. No venom.
In what way? – That Bono is an asshole or that U2 live are great? I do tend to get emotional at the slightest thing – when Sam carried Frodo up to Mordor – I had an enormous lump in my throat.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:32 am

They have some great tunes:

"Da Sweetest Thing"

Our money bounces like a rubber ball
Oh the sweetest thing
You wont’ get us when the income tax calls
Oh the sweetest thing
Ireland’s got grey skies up ahead
But in this we’re ahead of the crowd
Ours is tax efficient kind of love
Oh it’s the sweetest thing

Whose losing, you
You working few
Ain't cash the sweetest thing

Through my accounts you’ll never trawl
Oh the sweetest thing
Income tax just sticks in my craw
Oh the sweetest thing
Y’know I got teams of guys
And they work so smartly for me
Income tax they keep me above
Oh the sweetest thing

Whose losing, you
You working few
Ain't cash the sweetest thing?

Tax avoidance, just give it a whirl
Oh the sweetest thing
I’ll use your money for saving the world
Oh the sweetest thing
My accounts got blue skies up ahead
While you’re under a cloud
Being tax efficient ya gotta love

Oh, the sweetest thing
The sweetest thing
The sweetest thing
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:13 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/theticket/art ... 48766.html
Criticism rained down on the band, and on Bono in particular, from politicians, journalists and lobby groups.

“We haven’t commented on it,” says Bono.

“And we don’t comment on it for a very good reason,” adds The Edge, “and that’s because it’s our own private thing. We do business all over the world, we pay taxes all over the world and we are totally tax compliant.”

“We pay millions and millions of dollars in tax,” says Bono. “The thing that stung us was the accusation of hypocrisy for my work as an activist.

“I can understand how people outside the country wouldn’t understand how Ireland got to its prosperity, but everybody in Ireland knows that there are some very clever people in the Government and in the Revenue who created a financial architecture that prospered the entire nation – it was a way of attracting people to this country who wouldn’t normally do business here. And the financial services brought billions of dollars every year directly to the Exchequer.

“What’s actually hypocritical is the idea that then you couldn’t use a financial services centre in Holland. The real question people need to ask about Ireland’s tax policy is: ‘Was the nation a net gain benefactor?’ and of course it was – hugely so. So there was no hypocrisy for me – we’re just part of a system that has benefited the nation greatly and that’s a system that will be closed down in time. Ireland will have to find other ways of being competitive and attractive.”

In a 2007 report entitled Death and Taxes: The True Toll of Tax Dodging , the development agency Christian Aid examined the impact of tax avoidance on the developing world and mentioned Bono as one of the people responsible. When a group such as Christian Aid (with whom Bono would have some common cause) criticise the move, that must hurt?

“It hurts when the criticism comes in internationally,” says Bono. “But I can’t speak up without betraying my relationship with the band – so you take the shit. People who don’t know our music – it’s very easy for them to take a position on us – they run with the stereotypes and caricature of us. People who know the music know that the music reveals the people, not the edifice around it. That’s why we’ve decided to draw a ring around our audience and ourselves. Outside that there’s no point trying to explain ourselves. Without the musical part it’s all irrelevant.”
"A ring aroud our audience and ourselves"? Does he think U2 is a religion? This is someone who campaigns for a more equitable distribution of wealth but takes advantage of a loophole in the Irish system to avoid paying tax like the rest of us. Under the Artists tax scheme he still pays no tax on the first quarter of a million of his earnings while people on a fifth of that pay at the top rate. Then he tries to eqaute himself with the attempt to attract foreign investment into the country. He thinks all this criticism is caused by people who "don't know our music"
Stublore

Post by Stublore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:57 pm

Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Ha ha.... Thats him alright.

I like U2 a lot. Their latest album takes a few listens but its not bad.

I actually dont mind Bobo that much. He's a bit preachy but sure every cripple has his own way of walking. He could be lying around shooting drugs or ridin' young wans left right and centre with all his shillings but he seems to be trying to make a difference. I'm not sure if that qualifies him to be called an arsehole though.........

There are worse people out there than him lads!
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken